Обсуждение: postgres not starting

postgres not starting

От
Azimuddin Mohammed
Дата:
Hello,
I am unable to start postgres on one of the server
I am getting below error "HINT: is another postmaster already running on port 5432, if not wait a few seconds and retry"
I checked the processes nothing is running with postgres

 I think the error caused because I removed everything under /data directory before stopping the server.
Can someone help.

Azim

Re: postgres not starting

От
geoff hoffman
Дата:
Restore a backup or reinstall Postgres. The default Postgres data tables need to be there and owned by the user Postgres runs as.

I am unable to start postgres on one of the server
I am getting below error "HINT: is another postmaster already running on port 5432, if not wait a few seconds and retry"
I checked the processes nothing is running with postgres

 I think the error caused because I removed everything under /data directory before stopping the server.
Can someone help.

Azim

Re: postgres not starting

От
Alan Hodgson
Дата:
I am unable to start postgres on one of the server
I am getting below error "HINT: is another postmaster already running on port 5432, if not wait a few seconds and retry"
I checked the processes nothing is running with postgres

 I think the error caused because I removed everything under /data directory before stopping the server.
Can someone help.

kill -9 the old processes. The old postmaster is holding onto the port. And probably some of the old file handles, too, so you might want to re-init the new database cluster after really cleaning up the old one.

Re: postgres not starting

От
Alan Hodgson
Дата:
I am unable to start postgres on one of the server
I am getting below error "HINT: is another postmaster already running on port 5432, if not wait a few seconds and retry"
I checked the processes nothing is running with postgres

 I think the error caused because I removed everything under /data directory before stopping the server.
Can someone help.

kill -9 the old processes. The old postmaster is holding onto the port. And probably some of the old file handles, too, so you might want to re-init the new database cluster after really cleaning up the old one.

Re: postgres not starting

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
Alan Hodgson wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-02-15 at 18:21 -0600, Azimuddin Mohammed wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am unable to start postgres on one of the server
> > I am getting below error "HINT: is another postmaster already running on port 5432, if not wait a few seconds and
retry"
> > I checked the processes nothing is running with postgres
> >
> >  I think the error caused because I removed everything under /data directory before stopping the server.
> > Can someone help.
>
> kill -9 the old processes. The old postmaster is holding onto the port.
> And probably some of the old file handles, too, so you might want to re-init the new database
> cluster after really cleaning up the old one.

This seems excessive - maybe the server he wants to start is already
running and there is no need to crash or wipe it.

To give a better answer we would have to know which operating system
it is, which PostgreSQL version and how it was installed.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: postgres not starting

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
Alan Hodgson wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-02-15 at 18:21 -0600, Azimuddin Mohammed wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am unable to start postgres on one of the server
> > I am getting below error "HINT: is another postmaster already running on port 5432, if not wait a few seconds and
retry"
> > I checked the processes nothing is running with postgres
> >
> >  I think the error caused because I removed everything under /data directory before stopping the server.
> > Can someone help.
>
> kill -9 the old processes. The old postmaster is holding onto the port.
> And probably some of the old file handles, too, so you might want to re-init the new database
> cluster after really cleaning up the old one.

This seems excessive - maybe the server he wants to start is already
running and there is no need to crash or wipe it.

To give a better answer we would have to know which operating system
it is, which PostgreSQL version and how it was installed.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: postgres not starting

От
Jorge Torralba
Дата:
The poster writes ....

"  I think the error caused because I removed everything under /data directory before stopping the server. "

If you did remove the data directory, you will need to kill any processes hanging on then initdb -D /your/data/directory

Without a data directory it will not start.

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 8:51 PM, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
Alan Hodgson wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-02-15 at 18:21 -0600, Azimuddin Mohammed wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am unable to start postgres on one of the server
> > I am getting below error "HINT: is another postmaster already running on port 5432, if not wait a few seconds and retry"
> > I checked the processes nothing is running with postgres
> >
> >  I think the error caused because I removed everything under /data directory before stopping the server.
> > Can someone help.
>
> kill -9 the old processes. The old postmaster is holding onto the port.
> And probably some of the old file handles, too, so you might want to re-init the new database
> cluster after really cleaning up the old one.

This seems excessive - maybe the server he wants to start is already
running and there is no need to crash or wipe it.

To give a better answer we would have to know which operating system
it is, which PostgreSQL version and how it was installed.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Jorge Torralba

Note: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate or otherwise use the information. Please indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error and delete the copy you received. Thank You.

Re: postgres not starting

От
Jorge Torralba
Дата: