Обсуждение: Ensure extension exists

Ensure extension exists

От
Geoffrey Hoffman
Дата:
I want to use the pgcrypto extension with a particular database. Does it exist permanently and survive a server reboot?
Orif not, how do you ensure it runs when the server restarts?

I ask because in my Docker development environment I have to run it every time I restart the container, and just want
tobe prepared for production in AWS Aurora.

Thanks,
Geoff

Re: Ensure extension exists

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2/1/18 19:47, Geoffrey Hoffman wrote:
> I want to use the pgcrypto extension with a particular database. Does it exist permanently and survive a server
reboot?Or if not, how do you ensure it runs when the server restarts?

Once an extension is installed, it stays installed, just like any other
permanent database object such as tables and functions.

> I ask because in my Docker development environment I have to run it every time I restart the container, and just want
tobe prepared for production in AWS Aurora.

Maybe you have your development environment set up in a way that it
blows away your database on each run.

Re: Ensure extension exists

От
geoff hoffman
Дата:
On Feb 2, 2018, at 12:38 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2/1/18 19:47, Geoffrey Hoffman wrote:
>> I want to use the pgcrypto extension with a particular database. Does it exist permanently and survive a server
reboot?Or if not, how do you ensure it runs when the server restarts?

> Once an extension is installed, it stays installed, just like any other
> permanent database object such as tables and functions.
>
>> I ask because in my Docker development environment I have to run it every time I restart the container, and just
wantto be prepared for production in AWS Aurora.

> Maybe you have your development environment set up in a way that it
> blows away your database on each run.

Yep, ok thanks for confirming!