Обсуждение: pg_receivexlog only captures WAL data, not *.backup?

pg_receivexlog only captures WAL data, not *.backup?

От
Jerry Sievers
Дата:
This is on 9.6 and I have not tested on 10 yet.

The docs mention being able to use pg_receivexlog in stead of
archive_command as main backup method, I wonder how this is possible?

I did observe that no such *.backup file gets copied by pg_receivexlog
after the server was put in and taken out of backup mode.

It was my impression that *.backup files were required during PITR to
mark the point of consistency.

Is this not or no longer the case?

Or, I wonder if it depends on pg_basebackup being used w/one of the
options that captures all WAL as part of it?

Also, I did not (yet) test to see whether timeline *.history files get
copied if pg_receivexlog was pointed at a standby that was then
promoted.

Thanks for any insight.
--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting

Re: pg_receivexlog only captures WAL data, not *.backup?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
This is on 9.6 and I have not tested on 10 yet.

The docs mention being able to use pg_receivexlog in stead of
archive_command as main backup method, I wonder how this is possible?

I did observe that no such *.backup file gets copied by pg_receivexlog
after the server was put in and taken out of backup mode.

It was my impression that *.backup files were required during PITR to
mark the point of consistency.

Is this not or no longer the case?

Or, I wonder if it depends on pg_basebackup being used w/one of the
options that captures all WAL as part of it?

Also, I did not (yet) test to see whether timeline *.history files get
copied if pg_receivexlog was pointed at a standby that was then
promoted.

Hi!

The .backup files should not be required for PITR. The .label file is required, but that one is included as part of pg_basebackup (or need to be included by any other tool you use to make the backup). The .backup file in the log archive is not used by PostgreSQL.

The .history files, however, are required. And pg_receivexlog should copy them as required automatically.