Обсуждение: Suggestion to improve select pg_reload_conf()

Suggestion to improve select pg_reload_conf()

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
I would like to suggest an improvement to the select pg_reload_conf() function.

Currently this will only return true or false indicating if reloading was successful.

I think it would be a "nice-to-have" if the function would also return the GUCs that have been changed, similar to what
isbeing written to the logfile.

To not break existing code (e.g. scripts that only expect true/false), this could be done through an optional boolean
parameter(e.g. named "verbose").

Any thoughts?

Thomas

Re: Suggestion to improve select pg_reload_conf()

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
On 03/04/2017 10:31, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> I would like to suggest an improvement to the select pg_reload_conf() function.
>
> Currently this will only return true or false indicating if reloading was successful.
>
> I think it would be a "nice-to-have" if the function would also return the GUCs that have been changed, similar to
whatis being written to the logfile.

> To not break existing code (e.g. scripts that only expect true/false), this could be done through an optional boolean
parameter(e.g. named "verbose").
To my understanding pg_reload_conf just SIGHUP's the postmaster. So it might not be so trivial.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead

Re: Suggestion to improve select pg_reload_conf()

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Achilleas Mantzios
<achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
> On 03/04/2017 10:31, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>>
>> I would like to suggest an improvement to the select pg_reload_conf()
>> function.
>>
>> Currently this will only return true or false indicating if reloading was
>> successful.
>>
>> I think it would be a "nice-to-have" if the function would also return the
>> GUCs that have been changed, similar to what is being written to the
>> logfile.
>>
>> To not break existing code (e.g. scripts that only expect true/false),
>> this could be done through an optional boolean parameter (e.g. named
>> "verbose").
>
> To my understanding pg_reload_conf just SIGHUP's the postmaster. So it might
> not be so trivial.

Yup. But there is a workaround possible at SQL-level to know what are
the parameters that would be updated on SIGHUP by comparing the values
in pg_file_settings that are the values found in the configuration
files with the current settings applied in pg_settings.
--
Michael