Обсуждение: parallel bitmapscan isn't exercised in regression tests

parallel bitmapscan isn't exercised in regression tests

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

The parallel code-path isn't actually exercised in the tests added in
[1], as evidenced by [2] (they just explain).  That imo needs to be
fixed.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

[1] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=f35742ccb7aa53ee3ed8416bbb378b0c3eeb6bb9
[2] https://coverage.postgresql.org/src/backend/executor/nodeBitmapHeapscan.c.gcov.html

Re: parallel bitmapscan isn't exercised in regression tests

От
Dilip Kumar
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 12:16 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The parallel code-path isn't actually exercised in the tests added in
> [1], as evidenced by [2] (they just explain).  That imo needs to be
> fixed.

Thanks for reporting. Attached patch fixes that.

Dilip Kumar

Re: parallel bitmapscan isn't exercised in regression tests

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-04-01 17:23:04 +0530, Dilip Kumar wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 12:16 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The parallel code-path isn't actually exercised in the tests added in
> > [1], as evidenced by [2] (they just explain).  That imo needs to be
> > fixed.
>
> Thanks for reporting. Attached patch fixes that.

That's better than before, but I'd appreciate working on a bit more
coverage. E.g. rescans probably aren't exercised in that test, right?

If you have time & energy, it'd also be good to expand the tests to
cover the prefetching logic - it's quite bad that it's currently not
tested at all :(

Re: parallel bitmapscan isn't exercised in regression tests

От
Dilip Kumar
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 11:22 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> That's better than before, but I'd appreciate working on a bit more
> coverage. E.g. rescans probably aren't exercised in that test, right?
>
> If you have time & energy, it'd also be good to expand the tests to
> cover the prefetching logic - it's quite bad that it's currently not
> tested at all :(

Sure I can do that, In attached patch, I only fixed the problem of not
executing the bitmap test.  Now, I will add few cases to cover other
parts especially rescan and prefetching logic.

Dilip Kumar

Re: parallel bitmapscan isn't exercised in regression tests

От
Dilip Kumar
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 5:51 AM, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure I can do that, In attached patch, I only fixed the problem of not
> executing the bitmap test.  Now, I will add few cases to cover other
> parts especially rescan and prefetching logic.

I have added two test cases to cover rescan, prefetch and lossy pages
logic for parallel bitmap.  I have removed the existing case because
these two new cases will be enough to cover that part as well.

Now, nodeBitmapHeapScan.c has 95.5% of line coverage.

Dilip Kumar