Обсуждение: running as a service?

running as a service?

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
What are the current plans regarding running PG as a service? A wrapper,
or integrated code? If a wrapper, will it be put in the core, or done as
something like a contrib or pgfoundry project?

cheers

andrew

Re: running as a service?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 14 May 2004, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> What are the current plans regarding running PG as a service? A wrapper,
> or integrated code? If a wrapper, will it be put in the core, or done as
> something like a contrib or pgfoundry project?

IF a wrapper, should be pgfoundry ... *but*, wouldn't integratd by
cleaner?

would a wrapper be faster/easier?  maybe aim for that for 7.5, and full
integration for 7.6?

----

Re: running as a service?

От
Claudio Natoli

> would a wrapper be faster/easier?  maybe aim for that for
> 7.5, and full integration for 7.6?

No real difference. I posted a skeleton of the required code here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2004-05/msg00030.php
and was hoping we might get a consensus on the right approach.

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a
ailpolicy.html</a>

Re: running as a service?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
>> What are the current plans regarding running PG as a
>service? A wrapper,
>> or integrated code? If a wrapper, will it be put in the
>core, or done as
>> something like a contrib or pgfoundry project?
>
>IF a wrapper, should be pgfoundry ... *but*, wouldn't integratd by
>cleaner?

IF it should go to pgfoundry in that case, I'd say it *has* to be
integrated :-)

*Everybody* on win32 will expect this. No matter if they download source
or binaries or MSI installer. If we don't provide it in the main
install, people will see that as a major feature lacking that has to be
fixed by an external package.

As for which - the current code (submitted by Claudio) does an "extra
fork/exec" on the postmaster, basically making the postmaster a wrapper
for itself (correct me if I remember incorrectly here Claudio - seems
the archives.postgresql.org server is down ATM, and I can't find the
patch locally). If so, I think it would actualliy be slightly cleaner to
have it in a separate binary (that still does all the signal translation
we need, of course).
But as I think I've said before, I think the two ways are fairly equal
overall. But it *has* to go in the main distro.

//Magnus

Re: running as a service?

От
Andrew Dunstan

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>>What are the current plans regarding running PG as a
>>>

>>service? A wrapper,
>>

>>>or integrated code? If a wrapper, will it be put in the
>>>

>>core, or done as
>>

>>>something like a contrib or pgfoundry project?
>>>

>>IF a wrapper, should be pgfoundry ... *but*, wouldn't integratd by
>>cleaner?
>>

>IF it should go to pgfoundry in that case, I'd say it *has* to be
>integrated :-)
>
>*Everybody* on win32 will expect this. No matter if they download source
>or binaries or MSI installer. If we don't provide it in the main
>install, people will see that as a major feature lacking that has to be
>fixed by an external package.

I agree. This is necessary to run postgres in any non-development
environment. It's the standard Windows way to run a daemon.

>As for which - the current code (submitted by Claudio) does an "extra
>fork/exec" on the postmaster, basically making the postmaster a wrapper
>for itself (correct me if I remember incorrectly here Claudio - seems
>the archives.postgresql.org server is down ATM, and I can't find the
>patch locally). If so, I think it would actualliy be slightly cleaner to
>have it in a separate binary (that still does all the signal translation
>we need, of course).

Presumably a wrapper would have a much smaller memory footprint than an
extra copy of postmaster. That seems a good reason to break it out.

>But as I think I've said before, I think the two ways are fairly equal
>overall. But it *has* to go in the main distro.

The reason I asked is that there is a request for a pgfoundry project
for a service wrapper, and I wondered if instead we should ask the
author to send in a patch for the core.

cheers

andrew

Re: running as a service?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
It's rumoured that Marc G. Fournier once said:
> On Fri, 14 May 2004, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>> What are the current plans regarding running PG as a service? A
>> wrapper, or integrated code? If a wrapper, will it be put in the core,
>> or done as something like a contrib or pgfoundry project?
>
> IF a wrapper, should be pgfoundry ... *but*, wouldn't integratd by
> cleaner?
>
> would a wrapper be faster/easier?  maybe aim for that for 7.5, and full
> integration for 7.6?

Service code is simple - Claudio already posted a wrapper, and I offered
to provide an integrated solution as I did for autovacuum. (what happened
to that btw - did it get applied?)
Regards Dave.

Re: running as a service?

Dave Page wrote:
> It's rumoured that Marc G. Fournier once said:
> > On Fri, 14 May 2004, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >

> >> What are the current plans regarding running PG as a service? A
> >> wrapper, or integrated code? If a wrapper, will it be put in the core,
> >> or done as something like a contrib or pgfoundry project?
> >
> > IF a wrapper, should be pgfoundry ... *but*, wouldn't integratd by
> > cleaner?
> >
> > would a wrapper be faster/easier?  maybe aim for that for 7.5, and full
> > integration for 7.6?
>
> Service code is simple - Claudio already posted a wrapper, and I offered
> to provide an integrated solution as I did for autovacuum. (what happened
> to that btw - did it get applied?)
> Regards Dave.

It is hanging waiting to find out of pg_autovacuum will be integrated.
If not, it will be applied.

Re: running as a service?

От
Claudio Natoli

> As for which - the current code (submitted by Claudio) does an "extra
> fork/exec" on the postmaster, basically making the postmaster
> a wrapper for itself (correct me if I remember incorrectly here Claudio -
seems
> the archives.postgresql.org server is down ATM, and I can't find the
> patch locally).

Yes and no. That's how I have it on my box, but iirc the code I submitted
was just the service calls without the postmaster/main.c integration. Should
be a no brainer to hook it to a dozen line main.c stand-alone wrapper.

> If so, I think it would actualliy be slightly cleaner to
> have it in a separate binary (that still does all the signal
> translation we need, of course).

Agree.

> overall. But it *has* to go in the main distro.

Agree twice over.

Cheers,
Claudio

---