Обсуждение: Postmaster failed to start and/or accept connexion

Postmaster failed to start and/or accept connexion

От
"Laurent Ballester"
Дата:
Hello,

I downloaded the nightly snapshot of 2004-23-02, and compiled well with
MinGW/MSYS current release version. I have just to flex 'manually'
psqlscan.l file to be allow to finish compilation and link.

Then, through windows console, I launch initdb which run without any errors.
PGDATA is set up correctly. Unfortunately, postmaster launch with -I option
didn't start correctly. The error was "select() failed in statistics
collector ",  and seems to not accept any connexion.
For example createdb mydb command failed with error "could not connect to
database template1".

Did you modify or have a specific win32 postgresql.conf file to succeed to
run postgresql on Windows or maybe I forgot something to do.

I made the test on Windows XP prof with SP1

Regards

Laurent Ballester

Re: Postmaster failed to start and/or accept connexion

От
Joerg Hessdoerfer
Дата:
Hi,

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 16:01, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I downloaded the nightly snapshot of 2004-23-02, and compiled well with
> MinGW/MSYS current release version. I have just to flex 'manually'
> psqlscan.l file to be allow to finish compilation and link.
>
> Then, through windows console, I launch initdb which run without any
> errors. PGDATA is set up correctly. Unfortunately, postmaster launch with
> -I option didn't start correctly. The error was "select() failed in
> statistics collector ",  and seems to not accept any connexion.
> For example createdb mydb command failed with error "could not connect to
> database template1".

You need to specify '-i' (not '-I'), then it works (for me). You could also do
this in postgresql.conf, IMHO.

Do you also see the backends claiming more and more memory until crashing? I
can't yet put my fingers on the reason.

Greetings,
    Joerg
--
Leading SW developer  - S.E.A GmbH
Mail: joerg.hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com

Re: Postmaster failed to start and/or accept connexion

От
"Laurent Ballester"
Дата:
> You need to specify '-i' (not '-I'), then it works (for me). You could
also do
> this in postgresql.conf, IMHO.
>
> Do you also see the backends claiming more and more memory until crashing?
> can't yet put my fingers on the reason.

Hi,

First, thank you for your help.

I launch postmaster with -i, it was a typo error in my previous mail.

To summarize, I have two different errors types:

1)      postmaster crash at start up because it "could not attach to proper
memory at fixed address: shmget(key=5432001, addr=014D0000) failed: No such
file or directory"

I update postgresql.conf with max_connections = 5 and now this error does
not appear too much.

2)      If I launch postmaster again, it start and listen to port 5432, I
have only a warning "select() failed in statistics collector"  before
"database system is ready". After a quick reading of source code, it doesn't
seem too important.

On a client side, "psql template1" or "createdb mydb" failed to connect to
postmaster. The error was "server closed the connection unexpectedly..."
while the server said "could not receive data from client: No such file or
directory, incomplete startup packet".

I continue to investigate.

Regards,

Laurent Ballester

Re: Postmaster failed to start and/or accept connexion

От
Joerg Hessdoerfer
Дата:
Hi,

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 11:56, Laurent Ballester wrote:
[...]
> To summarize, I have two different errors types:
>

> 1)      postmaster crash at start up because it "could not attach to proper
> memory at fixed address: shmget(key=5432001, addr=014D0000) failed: No such
> file or directory"
>

> I update postgresql.conf with max_connections = 5 and now this error does
> not appear too much.
>

> 2)      If I launch postmaster again, it start and listen to port 5432, I
> have only a warning "select() failed in statistics collector"  before
> "database system is ready". After a quick reading of source code, it
> doesn't seem too important.
>

> On a client side, "psql template1" or "createdb mydb" failed to connect to
> postmaster. The error was "server closed the connection unexpectedly..."
> while the server said "could not receive data from client: No such file or
> directory, incomplete startup packet".
>

> I continue to investigate.

Well, I don't see those errors at all.
Especially the 'shmget' error seems strange. I had this one until I started
postmaster with -i (and the select()... error).
My max_connections is still 500.

Furthermore I called 'createdb -h localhost dbname' (and 'psql -h ...'), that
worked fine.

Greetings,
    Joerg