Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Writing on replicas?

[GENERAL] Writing on replicas?

От
Ivan Voras
Дата:
Hello,

I have a possibly unusual case, I've asked about it before on this list.

There is a bunch of reporting being done regularly on some large databases, which interfere with daily operations performance-wise. So one option is to have hot async replication in place to a secondary server where the reports could be run and not impact the main server.

The reporting code is *almost* read-only, with the major exception being that it creates temp tables for intermediate results. The main tables are not written to, just the temp tables.

Some time ago when I've asked what to do in this situation, the answer was that maybe a future version could allow this setup to work. So, I'm asking again: was something changed in 10.0 which would allow it?

Re: [GENERAL] Writing on replicas?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Ivan Voras wrote:

> The reporting code is *almost* read-only, with the major exception being
> that it creates temp tables for intermediate results. The main tables are
> not written to, just the temp tables.
>
> Some time ago when I've asked what to do in this situation, the answer was
> that maybe a future version could allow this setup to work. So, I'm asking
> again: was something changed in 10.0 which would allow it?

No, but you could use logical replication (with either pglogical or
pg10's more limited native features).