Обсуждение: [pgsql-pkg-yum] postgresql94 doesn't add pg_config to alternatives system

[pgsql-pkg-yum] postgresql94 doesn't add pg_config to alternatives system

От
Yuri Kanivetsky
Дата:
Hi,

By that I mean the following:

$ rpm -q --scripts postgresql94 | egrep 'psql|pg_config'
/usr/sbin/update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/psql pgsql-psql
/usr/pgsql-9.4/bin/psql 940

As a result, psql is available right away after installing the
package. But not so with pg_config. Is it by design or by accident?

More info here:
https://serverfault.com/questions/872537/can-i-use-pg-config-of-other-version-of-postgresql#872537

Regards,
Yuri

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] postgresql94 doesn't add pg_config toalternatives system

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi Yuri,

On Thu, 2017-09-07 at 23:02 +0300, Yuri Kanivetsky wrote:
> As a result, psql is available right away after installing the
> package. But not so with pg_config. Is it by design or by accident?

This is intentional. We don't provides alternatives entries for binaries that
are not shared between multiple versions.

Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] postgresql94 doesn't add pg_config toalternatives system

От
Yuri Kanivetsky
Дата:
Hi,

Can you possibly elaborate? These are the binaries for which you
provide alternatives:

psql
clusterdb
createdb
createlang
createuser
dropdb
droplang
dropuser
pg_basebackup
pg_dump
pg_dumpall
pg_restore
reindexdb
vacuumdb

Are they all binary equal for 9.x packages? For 9.x + 8.x packages? Or
they can have non-breaking changes? Or they can be used with any
PostgreSQL server of the same major version?

Regards,
Yuri

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] postgresql94 doesn't add pg_config toalternatives system

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2017-09-14 at 01:35 +0300, Yuri Kanivetsky wrote:
> Can you possibly elaborate? These are the binaries for which you
> provide alternatives:
>
> psql
> clusterdb
> createdb
> createlang
> createuser
> dropdb
> droplang
> dropuser
> pg_basebackup
> pg_dump
> pg_dumpall
> pg_restore
> reindexdb
> vacuumdb
>
> Are they all binary equal for 9.x packages?

They are not *binary equal", but you can use 9.6's psql against 9.5 server, or
dump 9.5 db with 9.6's pg_dump.

That is why we keep them under /usr/bin.