Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Performance with high correlation in group by on PK

[GENERAL] Performance with high correlation in group by on PK

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
Hi all,

It's been a while since I actually got to use PG for anything serious,
but we're finally doing some experimentation @work now to see if it is
suitable for our datawarehouse. So far it's been doing well, but there
is a particular type of query I run into that I expect we will
frequently use and that's choosing a sequential scan - and I can't
fathom why.

This is on:

The query in question is:
select "VBAK_MANDT", max("VBAK_VBELN")
  from staging.etl00001_vbak
 group by "VBAK_MANDT";

This is the header-table for another detail table, and in this case
we're already seeing a seqscan. The thing is, there are 15M rows in
the table (disk usage is 15GB), while the PK is on ("VBAK_MANDT",
"VBAK_VBELN") with very few distinct values for "VBAK_MANDT" (in fact,
we only have 1 at the moment!).

Explain analyze says the following about this query:
warehouse=# explain (analyze, buffers) select "VBAK_MANDT",
max("VBAK_VBELN") from staging.etl00001_vbak group by "VBAK_MANDT";
                                                              QUERY PLAN

 HashAggregate  (cost=1990054.08..1990054.09 rows=1 width=36) (actual
time=38723.602..38723.602 rows=1 loops=1)
   Group Key: "VBAK_MANDT"
   Buffers: shared hit=367490 read=1409344
   ->  Seq Scan on etl00001_vbak  (cost=0.00..1918980.72 rows=14214672
width=15) (actual time=8.886..31317.283 rows=14214672 loops=1)
         Buffers: shared hit=367490 read=1409344
 Planning time: 0.126 ms
 Execution time: 38723.674 ms
(7 rows)

As you can see, a sequential scan. The statistics seem quite correct.

If I change the query to select a single value of "VBAK_MANDT" we get:
warehouse=# explain (analyze, buffers) select max("VBAK_VBELN") from
staging.etl00001_vbak where "VBAK_MANDT" = '300';

           QUERY PLAN

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Result  (cost=1.37..1.38 rows=1 width=32) (actual time=14.911..14.911
rows=1 loops=1)
   Buffers: shared hit=2 read=3
   InitPlan 1 (returns $0)
     ->  Limit  (cost=0.56..1.37 rows=1 width=11) (actual
time=14.907..14.908 rows=1 loops=1)
           Buffers: shared hit=2 read=3
           ->  Index Only Scan Backward using etl00001_vbak_pkey on
etl00001_vbak  (cost=0.56..11498362.31 rows=14214672 width=11) (actual
time=14.906..14.906 rows=1 loops=1)
                 Index Cond: (("VBAK_MANDT" = '300'::bpchar) AND
("VBAK_VBELN" IS NOT NULL))
                 Heap Fetches: 1
                 Buffers: shared hit=2 read=3
 Planning time: 0.248 ms
 Execution time: 14.945 ms
(11 rows)

That is more in line with my expectations.

Oddly enough, adding "MANDT_VBAK" and the group by back into that last
query, the result is a seqscan again.

For "VBAK_MANDT" we see these statistics:
Null fraction: 0
Average width: 4
Distinct values: 1
Most common values: {300}
Most common frequencies: {1}
Histogram bounds :
Correlation :1

The table definition is:
          Table "staging.etl00001_vbak"
       Column        |     Type      | Modifiers
---------------------+---------------+-----------
 VBAK_MANDT          | character(3)  | not null
 VBAK_VBELN          | character(10) | not null
 VBAK_ERDAT          | date          | not null
 VBAK_ERZET          | character(6)  | not null
 VBAK_ERNAM          | character(12) | not null
 VBAK_ANGDT          | date          | not null
 VBAK_BNDDT          | date          | not null
 VBAK_AUDAT          | date          | not null
VBAK_MULTI          | character(1)  | not null
 VBAK_SPPAYM         | character(2)  | not null
    "etl00001_vbak_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree ("VBAK_MANDT", "VBAK_VBELN")
    "idx_etl00001_vbak_erdat" btree ("VBAK_ERDAT")

A final remark: The table definition was generated by our
reporting/ETL software, hence the case-sensitive column names and the
use of the character type instead of varchar (or text).

What can be done to help the planner choose a smarter plan?

Re: [GENERAL] Performance with high correlation in group by on PK

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 28 August 2017 at 14:22, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is on:
Just noticed I forgot to paste this in:
warehouse=# select version();
                                                 version
 PostgreSQL 9.6.4 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.8.5
20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-11), 64-bit
(1 row)

Re: [GENERAL] Performance with high correlation in group by on PK

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
It's been a while since I actually got to use PG for anything serious,
but we're finally doing some experimentation @work now to see if it is
suitable for our datawarehouse. So far it's been doing well, but there
is a particular type of query I run into that I expect we will
frequently use and that's choosing a sequential scan - and I can't
fathom why.

This is on:

The query in question is:
select "VBAK_MANDT", max("VBAK_VBELN")
  from staging.etl00001_vbak
 group by "VBAK_MANDT";

This is the header-table for another detail table, and in this case
we're already seeing a seqscan. The thing is, there are 15M rows in
the table (disk usage is 15GB), while the PK is on ("VBAK_MANDT",
"VBAK_VBELN") with very few distinct values for "VBAK_MANDT" (in fact,
we only have 1 at the moment!).

You need an "index skip-scan" or "loose index scan".  PostgreSQL doesn't currently detect and implement them automatically, but you can use a recursive CTE to get it to work.  There are some examples at https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Loose_indexscan

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: [GENERAL] Performance with high correlation in group by on PK

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 28 August 2017 at 21:32, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 5:22 AM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It's been a while since I actually got to use PG for anything serious,
>> but we're finally doing some experimentation @work now to see if it is
>> suitable for our datawarehouse. So far it's been doing well, but there
>> is a particular type of query I run into that I expect we will
>> frequently use and that's choosing a sequential scan - and I can't
>> fathom why.
>>
>> This is on:
>>

>> The query in question is:
>> select "VBAK_MANDT", max("VBAK_VBELN")
>>   from staging.etl00001_vbak
>>  group by "VBAK_MANDT";
>>
>> This is the header-table for another detail table, and in this case
>> we're already seeing a seqscan. The thing is, there are 15M rows in
>> the table (disk usage is 15GB), while the PK is on ("VBAK_MANDT",
>> "VBAK_VBELN") with very few distinct values for "VBAK_MANDT" (in fact,
>> we only have 1 at the moment!).
>

> You need an "index skip-scan" or "loose index scan".  PostgreSQL doesn't
> currently detect and implement them automatically, but you can use a
> recursive CTE to get it to work.  There are some examples at
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Loose_indexscan

Thanks Jeff, that's an interesting approach. It looks very similar to
correlated subqueries.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to help with my issue. The CTE is
indeed fast, but when querying the results from the 2nd level ov the
PK with the CTE results, I'm back at a seqscan on pdw00002_vbak again.

Just the CTE plan is in skipScan-top.sql.
The complete plan is in skipScan-full.sql

Note: I cloned the original etl00001_vbak table into a new
pdw00002_vbak table that has varchars instead of chars, which reduced
the table size to just over half the original's size. Hence the
different table names, but the behaviour for this particular issue is
the same between them.

Re: [GENERAL] Performance with high correlation in group by on PK

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
On 28 August 2017 at 21:32, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 5:22 AM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It's been a while since I actually got to use PG for anything serious,
>> but we're finally doing some experimentation @work now to see if it is
>> suitable for our datawarehouse. So far it's been doing well, but there
>> is a particular type of query I run into that I expect we will
>> frequently use and that's choosing a sequential scan - and I can't
>> fathom why.
>>
>> This is on:
>>

>> The query in question is:
>> select "VBAK_MANDT", max("VBAK_VBELN")
>>   from staging.etl00001_vbak
>>  group by "VBAK_MANDT";
>>
>> This is the header-table for another detail table, and in this case
>> we're already seeing a seqscan. The thing is, there are 15M rows in
>> the table (disk usage is 15GB), while the PK is on ("VBAK_MANDT",
>> "VBAK_VBELN") with very few distinct values for "VBAK_MANDT" (in fact,
>> we only have 1 at the moment!).
>

> You need an "index skip-scan" or "loose index scan".  PostgreSQL doesn't
> currently detect and implement them automatically, but you can use a
> recursive CTE to get it to work.  There are some examples at
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Loose_indexscan

Thanks Jeff, that's an interesting approach. It looks very similar to
correlated subqueries.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to help with my issue. The CTE is
indeed fast, but when querying the results from the 2nd level ov the
PK with the CTE results, I'm back at a seqscan on pdw00002_vbak again.

Something like this works:

create table foo as select trunc(random()*5) as col1, random() as col2 from generate_series(1,100000000);
create index on foo (col1, col2);
vacuum analyze foo;

with recursive t as (
   select * from (select col1, col2 from foo order by col1 desc, col2 desc limit 1) asdfsaf
    union all
  select
     (select col1 from foo where foo.col1 < t.col1 order by col1 desc, col2 desc limit 1) as col1,
     (select col2 from foo where foo.col1 < t.col1 order by col1 desc, col2 desc limit 1) as col2
   from t where t.col1 is not null
select * from t where t is not null;

It is pretty ugly that you need one subquery in the select list for each column to be returned.  Maybe someone can find a way to avoid that part.  I tried using lateral joins to get around it, but couldn't make that work.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: [GENERAL] Performance with high correlation in group by on PK

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 8 September 2017 at 00:23, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 28 August 2017 at 21:32, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > You need an "index skip-scan" or "loose index scan".  PostgreSQL doesn't
>> > currently detect and implement them automatically, but you can use a
>> > recursive CTE to get it to work.  There are some examples at
>> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Loose_indexscan
>>
>> Thanks Jeff, that's an interesting approach. It looks very similar to
>> correlated subqueries.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to help with my issue. The CTE is
>> indeed fast, but when querying the results from the 2nd level ov the
>> PK with the CTE results, I'm back at a seqscan on pdw00002_vbak again.
>

> Something like this works:
>
> create table foo as select trunc(random()*5) as col1, random() as col2 from
> generate_series(1,100000000);
> create index on foo (col1, col2);
> vacuum analyze foo;
>

> with recursive t as (
>    select * from (select col1, col2 from foo order by col1 desc, col2 desc
> limit 1) asdfsaf
>     union all
>   select
>      (select col1 from foo where foo.col1 < t.col1 order by col1 desc, col2
> desc limit 1) as col1,
>      (select col2 from foo where foo.col1 < t.col1 order by col1 desc, col2
> desc limit 1) as col2
>    from t where t.col1 is not null
> )
> select * from t where t is not null;
>
> It is pretty ugly that you need one subquery in the select list for each
> column to be returned.  Maybe someone can find a way to avoid that part.  I
> tried using lateral joins to get around it, but couldn't make that work.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff

Thanks Jeff. That does indeed look ugly.

Since we're dealing with a 4GL language (FOCUS) that translates to
SQL, I don't think we'll attempt your workaround, even though we can
use SQL directly in our reports if we want to.

But, I just remembered giving someone else in a similar situation some
advice on this very list; Obviously, when my first primary key field
is not very selective, I should change the order of the fields in the
PK!

But let's first enjoy the weekend.

Alban.