Обсуждение: [ADMIN] Stats Disappear After Minor Upgrade?

[ADMIN] Stats Disappear After Minor Upgrade?

От
Don Seiler
Дата:
Me again.

I'm testing an upgrade of a database from 9.2.10 to 9.2.22. The upgrade seemingly had no problems and I started the DB. However when I went to look at some vacuum-related status, every table had n_dead_tup and n_live_tup = 0.

For what it's worth, this DB was a clone of a prod standby. I didn't think to check the stats after opening the new clone (renamed the recovery.conf), so I can't say for sure what it looked like prior to upgrade. I've kicked off a DB-wide analyze but obviously that takes a long time and more or less would mean prod app downtime as the optimizer would make all sorts of goofy decisions until the stats are in place.

I just wanted to ask here if anything like this is known. I know 10->22 is a bit of a leap but it's still the same major branch so I didn't expect any trouble. My other tests in small sandboxes were from 9.2.18 or .21 to 9.2.22 and had no problems like this.

Don.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us

Re: [ADMIN] Stats Disappear After Minor Upgrade?

Дата:
Don Seiler <don@seiler.us> writes:
> I'm testing an upgrade of a database from 9.2.10 to 9.2.22. The upgrade
> seemingly had no problems and I started the DB. However when I went to look
> at some vacuum-related status, every table had n_dead_tup and n_live_tup =
> 0.

How did you shut down the existing installation?  This'd be expected if
you used "--mode immediate".  Otherwise, I'd have thought those stats
would still be there.

> For what it's worth, this DB was a clone of a prod standby. I didn't think
> to check the stats after opening the new clone (renamed the recovery.conf),
> so I can't say for sure what it looked like prior to upgrade. I've kicked
> off a DB-wide analyze but obviously that takes a long time and more or less
> would mean prod app downtime as the optimizer would make all sorts of goofy
> decisions until the stats are in place.

The optimizer's decisions are generally not based on the stats collector's
info, but on the contents of pg_statistic.  This observation doesn't prove
anything about whether that was intact ... but I'd be really surprised
if it wasn't.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [ADMIN] Stats Disappear After Minor Upgrade?

От
Don Seiler
Дата:
How did you shut down the existing installation?  This'd be expected if
you used "--mode immediate".  Otherwise, I'd have thought those stats
would still be there.

pg_ctl stop -m fast

That's how I've been doing it this whole while. My connotation is that postgres "fast" shutdown equates to oracle's immediate shutdown, but postgres "immediate" shutdown is akin to oracle's "shutdown abort". So fast should be a safe, consistent shutdown that doesn't require crash recovery after.

The optimizer's decisions are generally not based on the stats collector's
info, but on the contents of pg_statistic.  This observation doesn't prove
anything about whether that was intact ... but I'd be really surprised
if it wasn't.

Interesting, I'll have to read up on the difference here. I'm going to see if I can get another clone made up and test again, being sure to get the info before and after.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us