Обсуждение: [DOCS] The reference to 'atacontrol' on FreeBSD is outdated.

[DOCS] The reference to 'atacontrol' on FreeBSD is outdated.

От
jrekins@gmail.com
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/wal-reliability.html

On this page:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/wal-reliability.html

... there is a reference to 'atacontrol' on FreeBSD: 'On FreeBSD, IDE drives
can be queried using atacontrol...'

This command was deprecated in FreeBSD 9.0 which was released in January
2012. Here is a link to the relevant man page highlighting its obsolesence:
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=atacontrol&sektion=8&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+9.0-RELEASE

The 'camcontrol' is the replacement.

Thanks,
J.

Re: [DOCS] The reference to 'atacontrol' on FreeBSD is outdated.

От
Peter Eisentraut
> ... there is a reference to 'atacontrol' on FreeBSD: 'On FreeBSD, IDE drives
> can be queried using atacontrol...'
>
> This command was deprecated in FreeBSD 9.0 which was released in January
> 2012. Here is a link to the relevant man page highlighting its obsolesence:
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=atacontrol&sektion=8&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+9.0-RELEASE
>
> The 'camcontrol' is the replacement.

Could you supply a new phrasing of that paragraph?  Does camcontrol now
handle both IDE and SCSI?

Re: [DOCS] The reference to 'atacontrol' on FreeBSD is outdated.

От
John Ekins
Дата:
Hi,

Sure. Camcontrol does indeed cover IDE, SCSI and SAS drives.

Replace this line:
On FreeBSD, IDE drives can be queried using atacontrol...

With this:
On FreeBSD, IDE drives can be queried using camcontrol identify...

In other words, the query is the same as for SCSI drives. For verification this is what the output looks like:

root@bsd11desk:/home/jre # camcontrol identify 0:0:0 | egrep "Feature|write cache"
Feature                      Support  Enabled   Value           Vendor
write cache                    yes yes

I appreciate the Postgresql docs are not meant to be FreeBSD tutorials.

Thanks,
J.

... there is a reference to &#39;atacontrol&#39; on FreeBSD: &#39;On FreeBSD, IDE drives
can be queried using atacontrol...&#39;

This command was deprecated in FreeBSD 9.0 which was released in January
2012. Here is a link to the relevant man page highlighting its obsolesence:
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=atacontrol&amp;sektion=8&amp;apropos=0&amp;manpath=FreeBSD+9.0-RELEASE

The &#39;camcontrol&#39; is the replacement.

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: [DOCS] The reference to 'atacontrol' on FreeBSD is outdated.

Дата:
On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:47:00PM +0100, John Ekins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sure. Camcontrol does indeed cover IDE, SCSI and SAS drives.
>
> Replace this line:
> On FreeBSD, IDE drives can be queried using atacontrol...
>
> With this:
> On FreeBSD, IDE drives can be queried using camcontrol identify...
>
> In other words, the query is the same as for SCSI drives. For verification this
> is what the output looks like:
>
> root@bsd11desk:/home/jre # camcontrol identify 0:0:0 | egrep "Feature|write
> cache"
> Feature                      Support  Enabled   Value           Vendor
> write cache                    yes yes
>
> I appreciate the Postgresql docs are not meant to be FreeBSD tutorials.

I know this email is six years old, but I have applied this fix to all
supported Postgres versions.  A huge apology for this delay.

Re: [DOCS] The reference to 'atacontrol' on FreeBSD is outdated.

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 2:12 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:47:00PM +0100, John Ekins wrote:
> > Sure. Camcontrol does indeed cover IDE, SCSI and SAS drives.
> >
> > Replace this line:
> > On FreeBSD, IDE drives can be queried using atacontrol...
> >
> > With this:
> > On FreeBSD, IDE drives can be queried using camcontrol identify...
> >
> > In other words, the query is the same as for SCSI drives. For verification this
> > is what the output looks like:
> >
> > root@bsd11desk:/home/jre # camcontrol identify 0:0:0 | egrep "Feature|write
> > cache"
> > Feature                      Support  Enabled   Value           Vendor
> > write cache                    yes yes
> >
> > I appreciate the Postgresql docs are not meant to be FreeBSD tutorials.
>
> I know this email is six years old, but I have applied this fix to all
> supported Postgres versions.  A huge apology for this delay.

It's funny that we discuss IDE drives at all.  They stopped being
manufactured a decade ago and are not supported by modern chipsets or
boards etc[1].  I've been meaning to do something about that, but I
didn't have enough round tuits to research what to write about current
storage technologies...  but also in the case of FreeBSD, it doesn't
let you turn the write cache on and off with nvmecontrol yet, but
someone has a relevant patch out (D32700) so I was also waiting for
that to go somewhere before writing in...

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA#Primacy_and_obsolescence

Re: [DOCS] The reference to 'atacontrol' on FreeBSD is outdated.

Дата:
On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 03:25:07PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 2:12 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:47:00PM +0100, John Ekins wrote:
> > > Sure. Camcontrol does indeed cover IDE, SCSI and SAS drives.
> > >
> > > Replace this line:
> > > On FreeBSD, IDE drives can be queried using atacontrol...
> > >
> > > With this:
> > > On FreeBSD, IDE drives can be queried using camcontrol identify...
> > >
> > > In other words, the query is the same as for SCSI drives. For verification this
> > > is what the output looks like:
> > >
> > > root@bsd11desk:/home/jre # camcontrol identify 0:0:0 | egrep "Feature|write
> > > cache"
> > > Feature                      Support  Enabled   Value           Vendor
> > > write cache                    yes yes
> > >
> > > I appreciate the Postgresql docs are not meant to be FreeBSD tutorials.
> >
> > I know this email is six years old, but I have applied this fix to all
> > supported Postgres versions.  A huge apology for this delay.
>
> It's funny that we discuss IDE drives at all.  They stopped being
> manufactured a decade ago and are not supported by modern chipsets or
> boards etc[1].  I've been meaning to do something about that, but I
> didn't have enough round tuits to research what to write about current
> storage technologies...  but also in the case of FreeBSD, it doesn't
> let you turn the write cache on and off with nvmecontrol yet, but
> someone has a relevant patch out (D32700) so I was also waiting for
> that to go somewhere before writing in...

I don't think it is safe to disable the nvme cache since it is a cache
and a staging area.  If you turn it off, it will burn out the chips over
time.