Обсуждение: [HACKERS] What does it mean by XLOG_BACKUP_RECORD?

[HACKERS] What does it mean by XLOG_BACKUP_RECORD?

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
Hi,

While reading source codes I found the following comment in xlog.c.

/** Have we passed our safe starting point? Note that minRecoveryPoint is* known to be incorrectly set if
ControlFile->backupEndRequired,until* the XLOG_BACKUP_RECORD arrives to advise us of the correct* minRecoveryPoint. All
weknow prior to that is that we're not* consistent yet.*/

if (!reachedConsistency && !ControlFile->backupEndRequired &&   minRecoveryPoint <= lastReplayedEndRecPtr &&
XLogRecPtrIsInvalid(ControlFile->backupStartPoint))

What does XLOG_BACKUP_RECORED means by? I could not find such XLOG info value.
Does it mean XLOG_BACKUP_END?

Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: [HACKERS] What does it mean by XLOG_BACKUP_RECORD?

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> While reading source codes I found the following comment in xlog.c.
>
> /*
>  * Have we passed our safe starting point? Note that minRecoveryPoint is
>  * known to be incorrectly set if ControlFile->backupEndRequired, until
>  * the XLOG_BACKUP_RECORD arrives to advise us of the correct
>  * minRecoveryPoint. All we know prior to that is that we're not
>  * consistent yet.
>  */
> if (!reachedConsistency && !ControlFile->backupEndRequired &&
>     minRecoveryPoint <= lastReplayedEndRecPtr &&
>     XLogRecPtrIsInvalid(ControlFile->backupStartPoint))
>
> What does XLOG_BACKUP_RECORED means by? I could not find such XLOG info value.
> Does it mean XLOG_BACKUP_END?

This comment is a thinko, it refers to XLOG_BACKUP_END. This comment
block could be reworded a bit, it looks cleaner to me to say
"ControlFile->backupEndRequired is false" instead of just referring to
the variable itself. Worse, the current comment implies that
minRecoveryPoint is incorrectly set if it is true. Bleh.
--
Michael

Re: [HACKERS] What does it mean by XLOG_BACKUP_RECORD?

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> While reading source codes I found the following comment in xlog.c.
>>
>> /*
>>  * Have we passed our safe starting point? Note that minRecoveryPoint is
>>  * known to be incorrectly set if ControlFile->backupEndRequired, until
>>  * the XLOG_BACKUP_RECORD arrives to advise us of the correct
>>  * minRecoveryPoint. All we know prior to that is that we're not
>>  * consistent yet.
>>  */
>> if (!reachedConsistency && !ControlFile->backupEndRequired &&
>>     minRecoveryPoint <= lastReplayedEndRecPtr &&
>>     XLogRecPtrIsInvalid(ControlFile->backupStartPoint))
>>
>> What does XLOG_BACKUP_RECORED means by? I could not find such XLOG info value.
>> Does it mean XLOG_BACKUP_END?
>
> This comment is a thinko, it refers to XLOG_BACKUP_END. This comment
> block could be reworded a bit, it looks cleaner to me to say
> "ControlFile->backupEndRequired is false" instead of just referring to
> the variable itself.

Thanks, I agree to use XLOG_BACKUP_END instead.

> Worse, the current comment implies that
> minRecoveryPoint is incorrectly set if it is true. Bleh.

Looking at the condition, we use minRecoveryPoint only when
ControlFile->backupEndRequired is *false*. So I guess that it means
that minRecoveryPoint is incorrectly set if
ControlFile->backupEndReuired is true. Am I missing something?

Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: [HACKERS] What does it mean by XLOG_BACKUP_RECORD?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 6/29/17 06:09, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> Thanks, I agree to use XLOG_BACKUP_END instead.
>
>> Worse, the current comment implies that
>> minRecoveryPoint is incorrectly set if it is true. Bleh.
>
> Looking at the condition, we use minRecoveryPoint only when
> ControlFile->backupEndRequired is *false*. So I guess that it means
> that minRecoveryPoint is incorrectly set if
> ControlFile->backupEndReuired is true. Am I missing something?

I agree with you that the logic in the comment is correct.  I've
committed just the symbol change.

Re: [HACKERS] What does it mean by XLOG_BACKUP_RECORD?

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 1:25 AM, Peter Eisentraut
> On 6/29/17 06:09, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>> Thanks, I agree to use XLOG_BACKUP_END instead.
>>
>>> Worse, the current comment implies that
>>> minRecoveryPoint is incorrectly set if it is true. Bleh.
>>
>> Looking at the condition, we use minRecoveryPoint only when
>> ControlFile->backupEndRequired is *false*. So I guess that it means
>> that minRecoveryPoint is incorrectly set if
>> ControlFile->backupEndReuired is true. Am I missing something?
>
> I agree with you that the logic in the comment is correct.  I've
> committed just the symbol change.

Thank you for picking up an old thread and committing it!