Обсуждение: [ADMIN] pg9.6 - maintenance_work_mem is disabled in postgresql.conf byrunning a select query for pg_settings returns it is enabled

maintenance_work_mem is commented in postgresql.conf

#maintenance_work_mem = 64MB

but the following query,

select * from pg_settings where name = 'maintenance_work_mem';

returns the following. Does it means it is enabled?

name            | maintenance_work_mem
setting         | 65536
unit            | kB
category        | Resource Usage / Memory
short_desc      | Sets the maximum memory to be used for maintenance
operations.
extra_desc      | This includes operations such as VACUUM and CREATE INDEX.
context         | user
vartype         | integer
source          | default
min_val         | 1024
max_val         | 2147483647
enumvals        |
boot_val        | 65536
reset_val       | 65536
sourcefile      |
sourceline      |
pending_restart | f

-----
Rajan.

Hi ,

Have you restarted after commenting this parameter.

Thanks.

[...]

Actually I did not make any changes to postgresql.conf

When studying about this parameter I thought I should check what my current
setting(for maintenance_work_mem) is and then I found that it is commented
in postgresql.conf while the pg_settings has the value enabled.

-----
Rajan.

Actually I did not make any changes to postgresql.conf

When studying about this parameter I thought I should check what my current
setting(for maintenance_work_mem) is and then I found that it is commented
in postgresql.conf while the pg_settings has the value enabled.

-----
Rajan.

maintenance_work_mem isn't a setting that can be completely disabled. It's used for normal maintenance operations like autovaccum and index creation. If not set in postgresql.conf, it has a default value of 64MB in 9.6

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/runtime-config-resource.html

Keith
Lines in postgresql.conf being commented out doesn't mean things are disabled, it means the default value is not
overridden.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

It's keep some memories default to perform system operations.

Thanks.

Actually I did not make any changes to postgresql.conf

When studying about this parameter I thought I should check what my current
setting(for maintenance_work_mem) is and then I found that it is commented
in postgresql.conf while the pg_settings has the value enabled.

-----
Rajan.
Thanks all for replies. Now I understand.

It's keep some memories default to perform system operations.

Thanks.

Actually I did not make any changes to postgresql.conf

When studying about this parameter I thought I should check what my current
setting(for maintenance_work_mem) is and then I found that it is commented
in postgresql.conf while the pg_settings has the value enabled.

-----
Rajan.
You're welcome!