Обсуждение: [ADMIN] Immediate Shutdowns

[ADMIN] Immediate Shutdowns

От
Harold Falkmeyer
Дата:
Greetings,

Are there long-term detriments from executing an immediate shutdown and/or issuing SIGQUITs to either the parent or any child postmaster?  I'm aware that PostgreSQL, upon next start, performs a WAL replay and performs other crash recovery steps.  Are there certain operations, such as VACUUM ANALYZEs, CREATE INDEXs, INSERTs, UPDATEs, and/or DELETEs, for example, that are less easily recovered or less recoverable than other operations?

What might cause an operation, such as a VACUUM ANALYZE, not to exit upon receiving a SIGTERM.  Are there any circumstances when a SIGQUIT could fail to cause an imminent exit (other than a process in an fundamentally unreceptive state, such as an uninterruptible sleep).

Thank you in advance,

Harold Falkmeyer

Re: [ADMIN] Immediate Shutdowns

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 6/6/17 22:56, Harold Falkmeyer wrote:
> Are there long-term detriments from executing an immediate shutdown
> and/or issuing SIGQUITs to either the parent or any child postmaster?

There shouldn't be any.

> What might cause an operation, such as a VACUUM ANALYZE, not to exit
> upon receiving a SIGTERM.  Are there any circumstances when a SIGQUIT
> could fail to cause an imminent exit (other than a process in an
> fundamentally unreceptive state, such as an uninterruptible sleep).

You write in another thread that you are using 8.4.  That could
certainly have more issues/bugs in this area, if you're not seeing the
behavior you want.