Обсуждение: [ADMIN] Monitoring tool for Postgres Database

[ADMIN] Monitoring tool for Postgres Database

От
Ravi Tammineni

What is the best monitoring tool for Postgres database? Something like Oracle Enterprise Manager.

Specifically I am interested in tools to help:

Alert DBAs to problems with both configuration and performance issues

Deadlocks, Long running queries etc.,

Monitoring of overall system performance

General performance tuning

Storage/Disk latencies

Thanks

ravi

Re: [ADMIN] Monitoring tool for Postgres Database

От
Scott Whitney
Дата:
Personally I push those off to my network monitor. Nagios in my case.

I find a single integrated alert and escalation framework is better than individual tools, but that's just me.

If you're using Nagios, let me know, and I can pop you several stub scripts to help.

What is the best monitoring tool for Postgres database? Something like Oracle Enterprise Manager.

Specifically I am interested in tools to help:

Alert DBAs to problems with both configuration and performance issues

Deadlocks, Long running queries etc.,

Monitoring of overall system performance

General performance tuning

Storage/Disk latencies

Thanks

ravi

Journyx, Inc.
7600 Burnet Road #300
Austin, TX 78757
www.journyx.com

p 512.834.8888
f 512-834-8858

Re: [ADMIN] Monitoring tool for Postgres Database

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Ravi Tammineni schrieb am 25.05.2017 um 21:48:
> What is the best monitoring tool for Postgres database? Something like Oracle Enterprise Manager.
>
> Specifically I am interested in tools to help:
> Alert DBAs to problems with both configuration and performance issues
> Deadlocks, Long running queries etc.,
> Monitoring of overall system performance
>  General performance tuning
> Storage/Disk latencies

Take a look at PoWA: http://dalibo.github.io/powa/
and OPM: http://opm.io/

Re: [ADMIN] [PERFORM] Monitoring tool for Postgres Database

От
Gary Evans
Дата:
Hi Ravi,

What is the best monitoring tool for Postgres database? Something like Oracle Enterprise Manager.

If you're an existing user of OEM, there is a PostgreSQL plugin for it by Blue Medora (believe it is commercial).  You might like to have a look at it.

Specifically I am interested in tools to help:

Alert DBAs to problems with both configuration and performance issues

Deadlocks, Long running queries etc.,

Monitoring of overall system performance

General performance tuning

Storage/Disk latencies

Thanks

ravi

Cheers
Gary

Re: [ADMIN] Monitoring tool for Postgres Database

От
Steven Chang
Дата:
Hello Scott,

     Nagios is an alert system, I guess the check_postgres module is in use.
     EM Grid is a management console whose functions are  not just alert , but also remote control, etc.

 Hello Ravi,

    From a open source standing, I propose pgcluu. But it doesn't include remote control .

Best Regards,
Steven

[...]

Scott Mead

     Nagios is an alert system, I guess the check_postgres module is in use.
     EM Grid is a management console whose functions are  not just alert , but also remote control, etc.

 Hello Ravi,

    From a open source standing, I propose pgcluu. But it doesn't include remote control .

Best Regards,
Steven

Personally I push those off to my network monitor. Nagios in my case.

I find a single integrated alert and escalation framework is better than individual tools, but that's just me.

If you're using Nagios, let me know, and I can pop you several stub scripts to help.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of grafana and collectd It's definitely not a pre-packaged solution, but it's simple, easy to use and very, VERY fast.  Alerts with nagios work, but, nagios is awful with history and trending, but, it beats most others for just alerts

What is the best monitoring tool for Postgres database? Something like Oracle Enterprise Manager.

Specifically I am interested in tools to help:

Alert DBAs to problems with both configuration and performance issues

Deadlocks, Long running queries etc.,

Monitoring of overall system performance

General performance tuning

Storage/Disk latencies

Thanks

ravi

Journyx, Inc.
7600 Burnet Road #300
Austin, TX 78757
www.journyx.com

Scott Mead
Sr. Architect
OpenSCG

Re: [PERFORM] [ADMIN] Monitoring tool for Postgres Database

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 05/25/2017 07:15 PM, Scott Mead wrote:

>             Thanks
>
>             ravi

We use Zabbix.

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: [PERFORM] [ADMIN] Monitoring tool for Postgres Database

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> We use Zabbix.

There's a Zabbix template for PostgreSQL called "pg_monz".

http://pg-monz.github.io/pg_monz/index-en.html

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: [ADMIN] Monitoring tool for Postgres Database

От
Ashish Tiwari
Дата:
Hi Ravi,

We use the nagios to monitor the Postgresql Database . Nagios provide the dedicated API for Postgresql and you can customize the same.

Thanks.

What is the best monitoring tool for Postgres database? Something like Oracle Enterprise Manager.

Specifically I am interested in tools to help:

Alert DBAs to problems with both configuration and performance issues

Deadlocks, Long running queries etc.,

Monitoring of overall system performance

General performance tuning

Storage/Disk latencies

Thanks

ravi

Re: [ADMIN] [PERFORM] Monitoring tool for Postgres Database

От
"Sunkara, Amrutha"
Дата:
We have been using Nagios to monitor the system level stats. The database level stats that we gather are custom scripts that we have nagios poll to get the database health. You could use pg badger to generate reports against your database logs as well. Pg_badger reports are your bffs for performance related specs.. very close to AWR reports that oracle provides.

Sotrage/Disk latencies -- we have oracle's os watcher we running regularly on these hosts to generate iostats as well.

Thanks.
-Amrutha.

What is the best monitoring tool for Postgres database? Something like Oracle Enterprise Manager.

Specifically I am interested in tools to help:

Alert DBAs to problems with both configuration and performance issues

Deadlocks, Long running queries etc.,

Monitoring of overall system performance

General performance tuning

Storage/Disk latencies

Thanks

ravi

Re: [ADMIN] [PERFORM] Monitoring tool for Postgres Database

От
Dave Stibrany
Дата:
We've found pghero to be a good first line of defence. It doesn't have alerting yet, but it's great for a quick high level healthcheck.

Also +1 for Datadog. Extremely flexible and elegant UI + powerful alerting capabilities.

[...]

phb07

Hi Ravi,

We, at Dalibo, are contributing to the postgres community mostly through open source administration tools development.
Among them :
- pgBadger, from Gilles Darold, extracts a lot of data from the postgres logs and restitutes them via a web interface (https://github.com/dalibo/pgbadger and http://dalibo.github.io/pgbadger/),
- OPM - Open PostgreSQL Monitoring - monitors the activity of instances and sends alerts if needed (http://opm.io/, https://github.com/OPMDG and http://opm.readthedocs.io/index.html). It uses the check_pgactivity agent,
- PoWA - PostgreSQL Workload Analyzer - captures and stores the SQL activity of instances (using the pg_stat_statements extension) and reports it through a web interface. (http://powa.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ and https://github.com/dalibo/powa). Several plugins help the DBA in understanding and improving SQL statements performance:
   - pg_qualstats evaluates the selectivity of predicates or where clause encountered in SQL statements,
   - pg_stat_kcache captures additional statistics from the OS, like CPU and physical I/Os,
   - HypoPG allows to create hypothetical indexes and shows the access plan that the postgres optimizer would choose if these indexes would exist.
- PgCluu, from Gilles Darold, performs a full audit of a PostgreSQL Cluster performances. A collector grabs statistics on the PostgreSQL cluster using psql and sar, a grapher generates all HTML and charts output. (http://pgcluu.darold.net/ and https://github.com/darold/pgcluu)

FYI, we are also working on a new project named TemBoard (http://temboard.io/ and https://github.com/dalibo/temboard). It is not yet production ready. But it has been presented at the latest postgres conference in Russia (https://pgconf.ru/en/2017/93881).

Philippe Beaudoin.

[...]

Nikolay Samokhvalov
Дата:
We use OKmeter.io, their Postgres monitoring is really good.

What is the best monitoring tool for Postgres database?