Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Inheritance and foreign keys

[GENERAL] Inheritance and foreign keys

От
Jayadevan M
Дата:
Hi,

I designed three tables so that one table inherits another, and the third table references the parent table. If a record is inserted into the third table and the value does exist in the parent table indirectly, because it is present in the inherited table, I still get an error.
Is some option available while creating the foreign key so that it will consider the data in the child tables also while doing a constraint validation?

create table myt(id serial primary key);
create table mytc (like myt);
alter table mytc inherit myt;
insert into myt values(1);
insert into mytc values(2);
 select * from myt;
 id
----
  1
  2

create table a (id integer    references myt(id));
insert into a values(2);
ERROR:  insert or update on table "a" violates foreign key constraint "a_id_fkey"
DETAIL:  Key (id)=(2) is not present in table "myt".

Regards,
Jayadevan

Re: [GENERAL] Inheritance and foreign keys

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
Not possible - yet.

[...]

Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
The way I do it is the following :
- ensure a common sequence for the ID for all tables in the inheritance tree (usually one parent and one or more
children)
- enforce normal FK constraints for all FK relations within the same "realm"/"tenant"/"schema" etc, i.e. where it makes
sense
- for enforcing FK constraints between tables in different "realms", you should implement this as a pair of CONSTRAINT
triggerswhich implement the two sides of the FK dependency. For the referencing
tables you'd want to check upon INSERT or UPDATE, with smth like :

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.accounting_docs_cases_fk_to_public_accounting_docs() RETURNS TRIGGER
         LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $$
DECLARE
tmp INTEGER;
BEGIN
         IF (TG_OP = 'DELETE') THEN
           RAISE EXCEPTION 'TRIGGER : % called on unsuported op : %',TG_NAME, TG_OP;
         END IF;
         SELECT ad.id INTO tmp FROM public.accounting_docs ad WHERE ad.id=NEW.acct_doc_id;
         IF NOT FOUND THEN
           RAISE EXCEPTION '%''d % (id=%) with NEW.acct_doc_id (%) does not match any accounting_docs ',TG_OP,
TG_TABLE_NAME,NEW.id, NEW.acct_doc_id USING ERRCODE = 'foreign_key_violation';
         END IF;
         RETURN NEW;
END
$$
;

-- here public.accounting_docs is a top level INHERITANCE table. Has bcompanyFOO.accounting_docs and
bcompanyBAR.accounting_docsas inherited tables

CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER accounting_docs_cases_fk_to_public_accounting_docs_tg AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE
ON public.accounting_docs_cases FROM public.accounting_docs DEFERRABLE FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE
public.accounting_docs_cases_fk_to_public_accounting_docs();

For the referenced tables you'd want to check upon UPDATE or DELETE with smth like :

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.accounting_docs_fk_from_accounting_docs_cases() RETURNS TRIGGER
         LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $$
DECLARE
tmp INTEGER;
BEGIN
         IF (TG_OP = 'INSERT') THEN
           RAISE EXCEPTION 'TRIGGER : % called on unsuported op : %',TG_NAME, TG_OP;
         END IF;
         IF (TG_OP = 'DELETE' OR OLD.id <> NEW.id) THEN
           SELECT adc.id INTO tmp FROM accounting_docs_cases adc WHERE adc.acct_doc_id=OLD.id;
           IF FOUND THEN
             RAISE EXCEPTION '%''d % (OLD id=%) matches existing accounting_docs_cases with id=%',TG_OP, TG_TABLE_NAME,
OLD.id,tmpUSING ERRCODE = 'foreign_key_violation';
           END IF;
         END IF;
         IF (TG_OP = 'UPDATE') THEN
                 RETURN NEW;
         ELSE
                 RETURN OLD;
         END IF;
END
$$
;

CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER accounting_docs_fk_from_accounting_docs_cases AFTER DELETE OR UPDATE
ON public.accounting_docs FROM accounting_docs_cases DEFERRABLE FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE
accounting_docs_fk_from_accounting_docs_cases();

CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER accounting_docs_fk_from_accounting_docs_cases AFTER DELETE OR UPDATE
ON bcompanyFOO.accounting_docs FROM accounting_docs_cases DEFERRABLE FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE
accounting_docs_fk_from_accounting_docs_cases();

CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER accounting_docs_fk_from_accounting_docs_cases AFTER DELETE OR UPDATE
ON bcompanyBAR.accounting_docs FROM accounting_docs_cases DEFERRABLE FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE
accounting_docs_fk_from_accounting_docs_cases();

Note that still this is not a proper case of a FK constraint, since this requires a true common unique index across all
tablesof the inheritance tree, which is not possible as of today.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead

Re: [GENERAL] Inheritance and foreign keys

От
Jayadevan M
Дата:
On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
[...]

ON public.accounting_docs_cases FROM public.accounting_docs DEFERRABLE FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE public.accounting_docs_cases_fk_to_public_accounting_docs();

[...]

ON public.accounting_docs FROM accounting_docs_cases DEFERRABLE FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE accounting_docs_fk_from_accounting_docs_cases();

CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER accounting_docs_fk_from_accounting_docs_cases AFTER DELETE OR UPDATE
ON bcompanyFOO.accounting_docs FROM accounting_docs_cases DEFERRABLE FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE accounting_docs_fk_from_accounting_docs_cases();

CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER accounting_docs_fk_from_accounting_docs_cases AFTER DELETE OR UPDATE
ON bcompanyBAR.accounting_docs FROM accounting_docs_cases DEFERRABLE FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE accounting_docs_fk_from_accounting_docs_cases();

Note that still this is not a proper case of a FK constraint, since this requires a true common unique index across all tables of the inheritance tree, which is not possible as of today.

Thank you. This should work for me.