Обсуждение: [ADMIN] pg_dump backup size very less

[ADMIN] pg_dump backup size very less

От
Sumeet Shukla
Дата:
Hi,

pg_dump in custom format is creating a dump of only 29 GB for a DB of size 700GB. Can you please help me understand what could be the reason behind it.

Thanks & Regards,
Sumeet Shukla

Re: [ADMIN] pg_dump backup size very less

От
Aniruddha Deshpande
Дата:
Hi,

Checking bloat on that DB may help to understand why this was 29 GB.

Regards,
Anir

pg_dump in custom format is creating a dump of only 29 GB for a DB of size 700GB. Can you please help me understand what could be the reason behind it.

Thanks & Regards,
Sumeet Shukla

Re: [ADMIN] pg_dump backup size very less

От
vinny
Дата:
On 2017-05-03 10:19, Sumeet Shukla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> pg_dump in custom format is creating a dump of only 29 GB for a DB of
> size 700GB. Can you please help me understand what could be the reason
> behind it.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Sumeet Shukla

How did you measure that 700GB value? The total "database size" may
include space used by indexes
and other data objects that are not included in the dump because they
are simply re-created
when you do a restore.

The Wiki has articles on how to measure the size of your database,
splitting up data and indexes etc.
That may help you find out where that 700GB comes from and what that
29GB really is.

Regards,
VIncent

Re: [ADMIN] pg_dump backup size very less

От
bricklen
Дата:
pg_dump in custom format is creating a dump of only 29 GB for a DB of size 700GB. Can you please help me understand what could be the reason behind it.

 That ratio aligns with what I see in my <1TB databases. If you calculate the size of just the data and exclude any indexes or relation bloat, that total is what is compressed in your custom-format pg_dump backup.