Обсуждение: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

[HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
The release of GCC 7 is approaching [0], and the number of warnings in
PostgreSQL has gone up since we last looked [1].  Output attached.  (My
version is 7.0.1 20170408.)

Most of the issues have to do with concatenating two or more strings of
potential size MAXPGPATH into another buffer of size MAXPGPATH, which
could lead to truncation.

Possible fixes:

a) Ignore, hoping GCC will change before final release. (unlikely at
this point)

b) Add compiler option to disable this particular warning, worry about
it later.  (Might be an option for backpatching.)

c) Expand the target buffer sizes until the warning goes away.  (Sample
patch attached.)

d) Replace most of the problematic code with psprintf() and dynamically
sized buffers.

Comments?

[0]: https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2017-03/msg00066.html
[1]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRA=xV0_-aDF5UtGVY8HGvg+ovA_js_P8z4jLHxvX0Wa=A@mail.gmail.com

Re: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

От
Aleksander Alekseev
Дата:
Hi Peter,

> c) Expand the target buffer sizes until the warning goes away.  (Sample
> patch attached.)

I personally think it's a great patch. Unfortunately I don't have GCC
7.0 right now but at least it doesn't break anything on 6.3.1. Since
there is no rush I would suggest to add an entry to the next commitfest,
so this patch wouldn't accidentally be lost.

As a side node I believe it would be great to replace all sprintf calls
to snprintf just to be on a safe side. IIRC we did something similar to
str* procedures not a long time ago. Unless there are any objections
regarding this idea I'm willing to write such a patch.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Re: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2017-04-10 11:03:23 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The release of GCC 7 is approaching [0], and the number of warnings in
> PostgreSQL has gone up since we last looked [1].  Output attached.  (My
> version is 7.0.1 20170408.)
>
> Most of the issues have to do with concatenating two or more strings of
> potential size MAXPGPATH into another buffer of size MAXPGPATH, which
> could lead to truncation.

Hm, interesting - I don't see this with
gcc-7 (Debian 7-20170407-1) 7.0.1 20170407 (experimental) [trunk revision 246759]
although I do recall having seen them at some point.  Not sure what's up
there.

I've to add -Wno-implicit-fallthrough to avoid noisyness, though.

Regards,

Andres

Re: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-04-10 09:10:07 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2017-04-10 11:03:23 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > The release of GCC 7 is approaching [0], and the number of warnings in
> > PostgreSQL has gone up since we last looked [1].  Output attached.  (My
> > version is 7.0.1 20170408.)
> >
> > Most of the issues have to do with concatenating two or more strings of
> > potential size MAXPGPATH into another buffer of size MAXPGPATH, which
> > could lead to truncation.
>
> Hm, interesting - I don't see this with
> gcc-7 (Debian 7-20170407-1) 7.0.1 20170407 (experimental) [trunk revision 246759]
> although I do recall having seen them at some point.  Not sure what's up
> there.

Hm. That's with -Wformat-truncation=1 (which is what's added by -Wextra
afaics), I see a good chunk more with -Wformat-truncation=2 - but that's
not enabled by -Wall/extra, so I don't really see a problem right now?

- Andres

Re: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

Дата:
> Possible fixes:

> a) Ignore, hoping GCC will change before final release. (unlikely at
> this point)

> b) Add compiler option to disable this particular warning, worry about
> it later.  (Might be an option for backpatching.)

> c) Expand the target buffer sizes until the warning goes away.  (Sample
> patch attached.)

> d) Replace most of the problematic code with psprintf() and dynamically
> sized buffers.

+1 for (c) as you have it.  Later we might think about selectively
doing (d), but it seems like more work for probably not much benefit.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

От
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:

> > d) Replace most of the problematic code with psprintf() and dynamically
> > sized buffers.
>
> +1 for (c) as you have it.  Later we might think about selectively
> doing (d), but it seems like more work for probably not much benefit.

Yeah -- also it's possible some of these code paths must not attempt to
palloc() for robustness reasons.  I would go for c) only for now, and
only try d) for very specific cases where there are no such concerns.

Re: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 4/11/17 13:57, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>
>>> d) Replace most of the problematic code with psprintf() and dynamically
>>> sized buffers.
>>
>> +1 for (c) as you have it.  Later we might think about selectively
>> doing (d), but it seems like more work for probably not much benefit.
>
> Yeah -- also it's possible some of these code paths must not attempt to
> palloc() for robustness reasons.  I would go for c) only for now, and
> only try d) for very specific cases where there are no such concerns.

Attached is a more refined patch that I propose for PG10 now.  Compared
to the previous rushed version, this one uses some more precise
arithmetic to size some of the buffers.

Re: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

Дата:
> Attached is a more refined patch that I propose for PG10 now.  Compared
> to the previous rushed version, this one uses some more precise
> arithmetic to size some of the buffers.

Generally +1 for switching the snprintf calls to use sizeof() rather
than repeating the declared sizes of the arrays.

The change in setup_formatted_log_time seems a bit weird:

-    char        msbuf[8];
+    char        msbuf[10];

The associated call is
sprintf(msbuf, ".%03d", (int) (saved_timeval.tv_usec / 1000));

Now a human can see that saved_timeval.tv_usec must be 0..999999, so
that the %d format item must always emit exactly 3 characters, which
means that really 5 bytes would be enough.  I wouldn't expect a
compiler to know that, but if it's making a generic assumption about
the worst-case width of %d, shouldn't it conclude that we might need
as many as 13 bytes for the buffer?  Why does msbuf[10] satisfy it
if msbuf[8] doesn't?

IOW, if we're going to touch this at all, I'd be inclined to go with
msbuf[16] or so, as being more likely to satisfy compilers that have
decided to try to warn about this.  And maybe we should use snprintf,
just for luck.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 4/12/17 00:12, Tom Lane wrote:
> The change in setup_formatted_log_time seems a bit weird:
>
> -    char        msbuf[8];
> +    char        msbuf[10];
>
> The associated call is
>
>     sprintf(msbuf, ".%03d", (int) (saved_timeval.tv_usec / 1000));
>
> Now a human can see that saved_timeval.tv_usec must be 0..999999, so
> that the %d format item must always emit exactly 3 characters, which
> means that really 5 bytes would be enough.  I wouldn't expect a
> compiler to know that, but if it's making a generic assumption about
> the worst-case width of %d, shouldn't it conclude that we might need
> as many as 13 bytes for the buffer?  Why does msbuf[10] satisfy it
> if msbuf[8] doesn't?

Because the /1000 takes off three digits?

The full message from an isolated test case is

test.c: In function 'f':
test.c:11:15: warning: '%03d' directive writing between 3 and 8 bytes
into a region of size 7 [-Wformat-overflow=] sprintf(buf, ".%03d", (int) (tv.tv_usec / 1000));              ^
test.c:11:15: note: directive argument in the range [-2147483, 2147483]
test.c:11:2: note: '__builtin___sprintf_chk' output between 5 and 10
bytes into a destination of size 8 sprintf(buf, ".%03d", (int) (tv.tv_usec / 1000)); ^

(This is with -O2.  With -O0 it only asks for 5 bytes.)

Re: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

Дата:
> On 4/12/17 00:12, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Now a human can see that saved_timeval.tv_usec must be 0..999999, so
>> that the %d format item must always emit exactly 3 characters, which
>> means that really 5 bytes would be enough.  I wouldn't expect a
>> compiler to know that, but if it's making a generic assumption about
>> the worst-case width of %d, shouldn't it conclude that we might need
>> as many as 13 bytes for the buffer?  Why does msbuf[10] satisfy it
>> if msbuf[8] doesn't?

> Because the /1000 takes off three digits?

Huh ... I would not really have expected it to figure that out, but
this makes it pretty clear that it did:

> test.c:11:15: note: directive argument in the range [-2147483, 2147483]

> (This is with -O2.  With -O0 it only asks for 5 bytes.)

But that reinforces my suspicion that the intelligence brought to bear
here will be variable.  I'd still go for msbuf[16]; it's not like
anybody's going to notice the extra stack consumption.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 4/10/17 11:03, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The release of GCC 7 is approaching [0], and the number of warnings in
> PostgreSQL has gone up since we last looked [1].  Output attached.  (My
> version is 7.0.1 20170408.)

GCC 7 has been released.

Should we backpatch these warning fixes?  The commit in question is
6275f5d28a1577563f53f2171689d4f890a46881.  (I haven't actually checked
whether backpatches well.)

PG 9.2 and newer compile warning-free with GCC 6, so there would be some
value in preserving this with GCC 7.

Re: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

Дата:
> On 4/10/17 11:03, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The release of GCC 7 is approaching [0], and the number of warnings in
>> PostgreSQL has gone up since we last looked [1].  Output attached.  (My
>> version is 7.0.1 20170408.)

> GCC 7 has been released.

> Should we backpatch these warning fixes?  The commit in question is
> 6275f5d28a1577563f53f2171689d4f890a46881.  (I haven't actually checked
> whether backpatches well.)

Seems like that patch represents generally better coding practice,
and applying it would reduce cross-branch differences that would be
hazards for future patches, so I'm mostly +1 for this.

But I'd suggest waiting till after next week's releases.  If there
are any problems induced by this, we'd be more likely to find them
with another three months' time before it hits the wild.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] GCC 7 warnings

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 5/4/17 00:21, Tom Lane wrote:
> But I'd suggest waiting till after next week's releases.  If there
> are any problems induced by this, we'd be more likely to find them
> with another three months' time before it hits the wild.

done