Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Cavium ThunderX Processors used for PostgreSQL?

[GENERAL] Cavium ThunderX Processors used for PostgreSQL?

От
Arya F
Дата:
I was shopping around for a dedicated server and I noticed a plan which uses 2X Cavium ThunderX processors which gives me a total of 96 cores.

I use PostgreSQL + PgBouncer which accepts many connections at a time. I have my current one to accept maximum connections of 1000, but it never goes above 200 active connections but the traffic to the system is always increasing and I want to have the hardware to handle it.

It's the first time I see the Cavium ThunderX name. How do these compare to a machine that has 2 × E5-2640 v3? I noticed the Cavium ThunderX is a lot cheaper, but it's not a known name.

What would I get better results with 2X Cavium ThunderX processors with 96 cores or 2 × E5-2640 v3 with 16 cores?

Re: [GENERAL] Cavium ThunderX Processors used for PostgreSQL?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 02/25/2017 08:33 AM, Arya F wrote:
> I was shopping around for a dedicated server and I noticed a plan which
> uses 2X Cavium ThunderX processors which gives me a total of 96 cores.
>
> I use PostgreSQL + PgBouncer which accepts many connections at a time. I
> have my current one to accept maximum connections of 1000, but it never
> goes above 200 active connections but the traffic to the system is
> always increasing and I want to have the hardware to handle it.
>
> It's the first time I see the Cavium ThunderX name. How do these compare
> to a machine that has 2 × E5-2640 v3? I noticed the Cavium ThunderX is a
> lot cheaper, but it's not a known name.

Probably because it is an ARM processor trying to break into the high
end server market. A search on Cavium ThunderX found a lot of
references. The most recent benchmark I could find was:

https://www.servethehome.com/exclusive-first-cavium-thunderx-dual-48-core-96-core-total-arm-benchmarks/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Cavium ThunderX Processors used for PostgreSQL?

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 2/25/2017 8:33 AM, Arya F wrote:
> What would I get better results with 2X Cavium ThunderX processors
> with 96 cores or 2 × E5-2640 v3 with 16 cores?

depends as much on the storage IO subsystem and workload as it does on
the CPU.  does this 96 core system also have the sort of memory
bandwidth to keep up with the core count?  how fast are each of those
arm cores compared with the E5-2640v3 cores?

being  an ARM, software support will likely lag, and you'll probably
find yourself having to do a lot of your own compiling of stuff beyond
the basic OS.