Обсуждение: About the MONEY type

About the MONEY type

От
Tobia Conforto
Дата:
I think MONEY is a great datatype, at least in theory.

It's stored as a 64 bit binary integer with an implied, fixed decimal
scale. This means that storage is conserved and operations are as fast
and exact as possible (to the implied decimal scale.)

Unfortunately it has a couple of significant drawbacks.

1. You can't specify the scale on a column-by-column basis, such as
MONEY(2) and MONEY(4), which would be useful in many databases[1];
instead, the scale is a configuration setting (lc_monetary) that is
only used when converting MONEY values to/from their string
representation or other datatypes. Inside the DB it's just a bigint.

2. By default it outputs its values in the US locale format: $1,200.00
which looks kind of silly (or out of place) as a data representation
format between database and application layers.

Is there any value I can assign to lc_monetary, or any other
configuration variable, that will make MONEY display its values
without dollar signs and thousand separators? (like NUMERIC would.) I
understand I can just cast each MONEY column to ::numeric to get that
representation format, or alternatively strip the dollar and commas on
the application side, but it would be easier to just specify it as a
configuration variable. I hoped the value 'C' would give a
locale-agnostic format (as far as such a thing can exist) but it
defaults to US locale as well.

Finally, I would like to throw out there the idea of a MONEY(s) or
maybe FIXED(s) type, to represent numbers as 64 bit binary integers
with an implied decimal scale that is specific to each column (and no
dollars or commas on output.) Unfortunately I have no idea how big of
a change this would require in the codebase. It's probably a
completely new datatype. Maybe there is already such a type as an
extension, under a different name?

-Tobia

[1] for example, many databases store the price of a single item, such
as a single nut and bolt, as a 1e-4 or 1e-6 fraction of the local
currency, but store the totals of invoices to the law-mandated
precision, say 1e-2.

Re: About the MONEY type

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Tobia Conforto schrieb am 30.11.2016 um 12:15:
> I think MONEY is a great datatype, at least in theory.

I personally find it pretty useless to be honest - especially because the currency symbol depends on the client.

So if I store a money value in the database, some clients see CHF, some see Kč, some see £ and others might see € - all
seethe same amount.
Which seems totally wrong because 10€ is something completely different then 10Kč or 10£.

Plus: inside a programming language (e.g. Java/JDBC) it's hard to work with the values because the database sends the
valuesas a string (it has to because of the currency symbol) but in reality it is a number - but you can't just convert
theString to a number again because of the symbol.

So I always recommend to not use it (in Postgres just as well as in other DBMS, e.g. SQL Server)

Re: About the MONEY type

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 30/11/16 12:05, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Tobia Conforto schrieb am 30.11.2016 um 12:15:
>> I think MONEY is a great datatype, at least in theory.
>
> I personally find it pretty useless to be honest - especially because
> the currency symbol depends on the client.
>
> So if I store a money value in the database, some clients see CHF,
> some see Kč, some see £ and others might see € - all see the same
> amount. Which seems totally wrong because 10€ is something completely
> different then 10Kč or 10£.
>
> Plus: inside a programming language (e.g. Java/JDBC) it's hard to
> work with the values because the database sends the values as a
> string (it has to because of the currency symbol) but in reality it
> is a number - but you can't just convert the String to a number again
> because of the symbol.
>
> So I always recommend to not use it (in Postgres just as well as in
> other DBMS, e.g. SQL Server)

I seem to remember that it was actually deprecated at some point - this
is going back quite a few years. This was later reversed, though I don't
know why.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: About the MONEY type

От
Tobia Conforto
Дата:
>> I think MONEY is a great datatype, at least in theory.
>
> I personally find it pretty useless to be honest - especially because
> the currency symbol depends on the client.

I should have been more clear: I find the underlying idea of storing a
fixed-scale decimal number as a pre-scaled int8 column a good idea.

But MONEY is the only standard datatype that does so, and in its
current implementation it's horrible, because of all the shortcomings
we both mentioned.

That's why I was asking whether: 1. is there a way to remove the
dollar and commas from its default input/output format; and 2. is
there any other fixed-scale decimal extension type that is stored as
an int8, possibly with the scale specified as part of the column
definition (eg. FIXED(4))

-Tobia

Re: About the MONEY type

От