Обсуждение: unchecked chdir warning

unchecked chdir warning

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
When compiling with  --enable-profiling using:

gcc version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.2)

I get the warning:

ipc.c: In function 'proc_exit':
ipc.c:137:3: warning: ignoring return value of 'chdir', declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
   chdir(gprofDirName);
   ^

I don't know if there is anything useful that can be done if the chdir fails.  What is the best way to silence the warning?

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: unchecked chdir warning

Дата:
> I get the warning:

> ipc.c: In function 'proc_exit':
> ipc.c:137:3: warning: ignoring return value of 'chdir', declared with
> attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
>    chdir(gprofDirName);
>    ^

> I don't know if there is anything useful that can be done if the chdir
> fails.  What is the best way to silence the warning?

See, eg, aa90e148c.

It used to be considered good enough to explicitly cast the function
result to void, but the pedants who invented -Wunused-result refused
to honor that convention.
        regards, tom lane