Обсуждение: Approving request of announcement

Approving request of announcement

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
Hi,

While working on approving announcement request for a conference, it
seems I have to reject the request according to the current approval
policy:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval

The request is an announcement regarding "conference schedule posted".
However it does not fall in none of following categories listed in the
Call for Papers
Registration Opening,
Registration Closing,
Wrap-up.

I have been discussing with Jonathan on pgsql-announce-moderators
list, and we came across a conclusion that we should add new approval
category "Schedule Publishing" and approve the request. I think that
kind of announcement would be a common request from major conference
organizers and the announcement will bring valuable information to
our community.

Comments? Suggestions?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Approving request of announcement

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
> On Sep 21, 2016, at 11:42 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> While working on approving announcement request for a conference, it
> seems I have to reject the request according to the current approval
> policy:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval
>
> The request is an announcement regarding "conference schedule posted".
> However it does not fall in none of following categories listed in the
> Call for Papers
> Registration Opening,
> Registration Closing,
> Wrap-up.
>
> I have been discussing with Jonathan on pgsql-announce-moderators
> list, and we came across a conclusion that we should add new approval
> category "Schedule Publishing" and approve the request. I think that
> kind of announcement would be a common request from major conference
> organizers and the announcement will bring valuable information to
> our community.
>
> Comments? Suggestions?

To add on to what Tatsuo said, the modern pattern of the Postgres conference is that we tend to open up registration on
orvery shortly after we announce a Call for Papers. The next big announcements is usually “Schedule Announced” which is
whatthe conference organizers really want to publicize as the schedule is one of the primary reasons why people attend
conferences.

Jonathan

Re: Approving request of announcement

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
>> On Sep 21, 2016, at 11:42 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While working on approving announcement request for a conference, it
>> seems I have to reject the request according to the current approval
>> policy:
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval
>>
>> The request is an announcement regarding "conference schedule posted".
>> However it does not fall in none of following categories listed in the
>> Call for Papers
>> Registration Opening,
>> Registration Closing,
>> Wrap-up.
>>
>> I have been discussing with Jonathan on pgsql-announce-moderators
>> list, and we came across a conclusion that we should add new approval
>> category "Schedule Publishing" and approve the request. I think that
>> kind of announcement would be a common request from major conference
>> organizers and the announcement will bring valuable information to
>> our community.
>>
>> Comments? Suggestions?
>
> To add on to what Tatsuo said, the modern pattern of the Postgres conference is that we tend to open up registration
onor very shortly after we announce a Call for Papers. The next big announcements is usually “Schedule Announced” which
iswhat the conference organizers really want to publicize as the schedule is one of the primary reasons why people
attendconferences.

> Jonathan

I think this is very good point.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp

Re: Approving request of announcement

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
>>> On Sep 21, 2016, at 11:42 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While working on approving announcement request for a conference, it
>>> seems I have to reject the request according to the current approval
>>> policy:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval
>>>
>>> The request is an announcement regarding "conference schedule posted".
>>> However it does not fall in none of following categories listed in the
>>> Call for Papers
>>> Registration Opening,
>>> Registration Closing,
>>> Wrap-up.
>>>
>>> I have been discussing with Jonathan on pgsql-announce-moderators
>>> list, and we came across a conclusion that we should add new approval
>>> category "Schedule Publishing" and approve the request. I think that
>>> kind of announcement would be a common request from major conference
>>> organizers and the announcement will bring valuable information to
>>> our community.
>>>
>>> Comments? Suggestions?
>>
>> To add on to what Tatsuo said, the modern pattern of the Postgres conference is that we tend to open up registration
onor very shortly after we announce a Call for Papers. The next big announcements is usually “Schedule Announced” which
iswhat the conference organizers really want to publicize as the schedule is one of the primary reasons why people
attendconferences.

>> Jonathan
>
> I think this is very good point.

I have no problem adding schedule announcements.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Approving request of announcement

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
>>> On Sep 21, 2016, at 11:42 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While working on approving announcement request for a conference, it
>>> seems I have to reject the request according to the current approval
>>> policy:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval
>>>
>>> The request is an announcement regarding "conference schedule posted".
>>> However it does not fall in none of following categories listed in the
>>> Call for Papers
>>> Registration Opening,
>>> Registration Closing,
>>> Wrap-up.
>>>
>>> I have been discussing with Jonathan on pgsql-announce-moderators
>>> list, and we came across a conclusion that we should add new approval
>>> category "Schedule Publishing" and approve the request. I think that
>>> kind of announcement would be a common request from major conference
>>> organizers and the announcement will bring valuable information to
>>> our community.
>>>
>>> Comments? Suggestions?
>>
>> To add on to what Tatsuo said, the modern pattern of the Postgres conference is that we tend to open up registration on or very shortly after we announce a Call for Papers. The next big announcements is usually “Schedule Announced” which is what the conference organizers really want to publicize as the schedule is one of the primary reasons why people attend conferences.
>>
>> Jonathan
>
> I think this is very good point.

I have no problem adding schedule announcements.

Agreed.

So far only people who actually organize conferences have said anything though. It would be appreciated if at least one non-organizer informs us of their opinion :)

--

Re: Approving request of announcement

От
Christophe Pettus
Дата:
On Sep 21, 2016, at 9:59 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> So far only people who actually organize conferences have said anything though. It would be appreciated if at least
onenon-organizer informs us of their opinion :)

"Schedule Published" is definitely a milestone I would want to be informed of; that's often the point at which I decide
ifI'm going to a conference at which I'm not speaking.

--
-- Christophe Pettus  xof@thebuild.com

Re: Approving request of announcement

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
On 21 Sep 2016, at 18:01, Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2016, at 9:59 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> So far only people who actually organize conferences have said anything though. It would be appreciated if at least
onenon-organizer informs us of their opinion :)

> "Schedule Published" is definitely a milestone I would want to be informed of; that's often the point at which I
decideif I'm going to a conference at which I'm not speaking.

Yeah.  This is a good idea. :)

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

Re: Approving request of announcement

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> Hi,
>
> While working on approving announcement request for a conference, it
> seems I have to reject the request according to the current approval
> policy:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval
>
> The request is an announcement regarding "conference schedule posted".
> However it does not fall in none of following categories listed in the
> Call for Papers
> Registration Opening,
> Registration Closing,
> Wrap-up.
>
> I have been discussing with Jonathan on pgsql-announce-moderators
> list, and we came across a conclusion that we should add new approval
> category "Schedule Publishing" and approve the request. I think that
> kind of announcement would be a common request from major conference
> organizers and the announcement will bring valuable information to
> our community.
>
> Comments? Suggestions?

So far it seems everyone is happy with adding the new category
"Schedule Publishing". I willl add this to the wiki and approve the
request.

Thank you!
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp

Re: Approving request of announcement

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> So far only people who actually organize conferences have said anything
> though. It would be appreciated if at least one non-organizer informs us of
> their opinion :)

I don't think I qualify for that and I'm ok with the idea of adding
this. I would perhaps be happier if we removed one of the others to
make room for it but none of them stand out as obviously terrible
either.

--
greg

Re: Approving request of announcement

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
> On Sep 21, 2016, at 9:59 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>

> I have no problem adding schedule announcements.
>
> Agreed.
>
> So far only people who actually organize conferences have said anything though. It would be appreciated if at least
onenon-organizer informs us of their opinion :)

That'd be me. It seems perfectly reasonable, useful in fact.

Cheers, Steve

Re: Approving request of announcement

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
> On Sep 21, 2016, at 8:16 PM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> So far only people who actually organize conferences have said anything
>> though. It would be appreciated if at least one non-organizer informs us of
>> their opinion :)
>
> I don't think I qualify for that and I'm ok with the idea of adding
> this. I would perhaps be happier if we removed one of the others to
> make room for it but none of them stand out as obviously terrible
> either.

I would be fine with removing “Registration Open,” and I say this as an organizer who of course would love to have more
publicityaround a conference.  For PGConf US, we typically open registration as soon as we announce the CFP, and
lookingat other community conferences the process seems to be “CFP => Schedule Posting => Registration Closing” as the
typicalannouncements.

OTOH we’ve rarely had any “Wrap Up” emails go out - I see maybe 1 per year from any community conference? - so maybe we
justadd the additional email topic.

Jonathan

Re: Approving request of announcement

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
>> I don't think I qualify for that and I'm ok with the idea of adding
>> this. I would perhaps be happier if we removed one of the others to
>> make room for it but none of them stand out as obviously terrible
>> either.
>
> I would be fine with removing “Registration Open,” and I say this as an organizer who of course would love to have
morepublicity around a conference.  For PGConf US, we typically open registration as soon as we announce the CFP, and
lookingat other community conferences the process seems to be “CFP => Schedule Posting => Registration Closing” as the
typicalannouncements.

> OTOH we’ve rarely had any “Wrap Up” emails go out - I see maybe 1 per year from any community conference? - so maybe
wejust add the additional email topic.

I would like to keep "Registration Open". PGConf.ASIA 2016 (I'm one of
the organizers) is now CFP closed and speakers are just
selected. After this the organizer will soon open registration and
wish to announce this.

Best regards,