Обсуждение: Excessive # usage in URLs

Excessive # usage in URLs

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Robert,

> (And let me say parenthetically that the web site's insistence on
> adding #THE-SAME-MESSAGE-ID-THAT-IS-ALREADY-IN-THE-URL to everything
> is pretty annoying ... it makes the links really long for no good
> reason.)

Totally agreed, this has annoyed me a number of times also.

Magnus, others on www, anything we can do about that..?

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Excessive # usage in URLs

От
Magnus Hagander

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Robert,

> (And let me say parenthetically that the web site's insistence on
> adding #THE-SAME-MESSAGE-ID-THAT-IS-ALREADY-IN-THE-URL to everything
> is pretty annoying ... it makes the links really long for no good
> reason.)

Totally agreed, this has annoyed me a number of times also.

Magnus, others on www, anything we can do about that..?

Certainly sounds like something that's fixable. But where? I just clicked around a bit and I don't see it...

--

Re: Excessive # usage in URLs

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
> > > (And let me say parenthetically that the web site's insistence on
> > > adding #THE-SAME-MESSAGE-ID-THAT-IS-ALREADY-IN-THE-URL to everything
> > > is pretty annoying ... it makes the links really long for no good
> > > reason.)
> >
> > Totally agreed, this has annoyed me a number of times also.
> >
> > Magnus, others on www, anything we can do about that..?
> >

> Certainly sounds like something that's fixable. But where? I just clicked
> around a bit and I don't see it...

Flat view.

This:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CABUevEw_kEPdKFqAgFJDtwxjbbNq+bcpWrTV0ekF9ei8SdcEGg@mail.gmail.com

auto-redirects to:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CABUevEw_kEPdKFqAgFJDtwxjbbNq+bcpWrTV0ekF9ei8SdcEGg@mail.gmail.com#CABUevEw_kEPdKFqAgFJDtwxjbbNq+bcpWrTV0ekF9ei8SdcEGg@mail.gmail.com

What I'd like (and Robert, iiuc) is for the link to the first message in
the flat view not to have the # and to not redirect to the one with the
# when it's not there.

Make sense?

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Excessive # usage in URLs

От
Magnus Hagander

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
> > > (And let me say parenthetically that the web site's insistence on
> > > adding #THE-SAME-MESSAGE-ID-THAT-IS-ALREADY-IN-THE-URL to everything
> > > is pretty annoying ... it makes the links really long for no good
> > > reason.)
> >
> > Totally agreed, this has annoyed me a number of times also.
> >
> > Magnus, others on www, anything we can do about that..?
> >

> Certainly sounds like something that's fixable. But where? I just clicked
> around a bit and I don't see it...

Flat view.

This:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CABUevEw_kEPdKFqAgFJDtwxjbbNq+bcpWrTV0ekF9ei8SdcEGg@mail.gmail.com

auto-redirects to:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CABUevEw_kEPdKFqAgFJDtwxjbbNq+bcpWrTV0ekF9ei8SdcEGg@mail.gmail.com#CABUevEw_kEPdKFqAgFJDtwxjbbNq+bcpWrTV0ekF9ei8SdcEGg@mail.gmail.com

What I'd like (and Robert, iiuc) is for the link to the first message in
the flat view not to have the # and to not redirect to the one with the
# when it's not there.

Make sense?

Oh, gotcha - I was missing the "/flat/" part which is what triggers it.

The point of the # is that you actually want to point to that specific message in the thread. If you just pick the first message in the thread we could exclude it, but how else would you link to a specific message?

--

Re: Excessive # usage in URLs

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> The point of the # is that you actually want to point to that specific
> message in the thread. If you just pick the first message in the thread we
> could exclude it, but how else would you link to a specific message?

The request isn't to remove the "#" ability for the flat view entirely,
it'd just be nice if the site didn't redirect to having the "#" when the
message-id after the "#" is the same as the one before the "#" (iow,
it's the first message).

Eg: you go here:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20151023125233.GQ3685@tamriel.snowman.net

The link to "whole thread" is:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20151023125233.GQ3685@tamriel.snowman.net

But you go there and it immediately redirects to:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20151023125233.GQ3685@tamriel.snowman.net#20151023125233.GQ3685@tamriel.snowman.net

Which is just, well, redundant, and makes the URL longer than it needs
to be.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Excessive # usage in URLs

От
Magnus Hagander

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> The point of the # is that you actually want to point to that specific
> message in the thread. If you just pick the first message in the thread we
> could exclude it, but how else would you link to a specific message?

The request isn't to remove the "#" ability for the flat view entirely,
it'd just be nice if the site didn't redirect to having the "#" when the
message-id after the "#" is the same as the one before the "#" (iow,
it's the first message).

Eg: you go here:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20151023125233.GQ3685@tamriel.snowman.net

The link to "whole thread" is:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20151023125233.GQ3685@tamriel.snowman.net

But you go there and it immediately redirects to:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20151023125233.GQ3685@tamriel.snowman.net#20151023125233.GQ3685@tamriel.snowman.net

Which is just, well, redundant, and makes the URL longer than it needs
to be.

Ok, there I agree it makes more sense. But the previous example wasn't one of those :)

Anyway, yes, should definitely be doable. I'll stick it on my TODO list, but I'm swamped with pgconfeu things right now so it won't be until after that.

--

Re: Excessive # usage in URLs

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> Ok, there I agree it makes more sense. But the previous example wasn't one
> of those :)

Yeah, I blame the stupidly long gmail message-ids for making me not
realize that. :)

> Anyway, yes, should definitely be doable. I'll stick it on my TODO list,
> but I'm swamped with pgconfeu things right now so it won't be until after
> that.

That sounds perfect, no urgency on it.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Excessive # usage in URLs

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> > The point of the # is that you actually want to point to that specific
> > message in the thread. If you just pick the first message in the thread we
> > could exclude it, but how else would you link to a specific message?
>
> The request isn't to remove the "#" ability for the flat view entirely,
> it'd just be nice if the site didn't redirect to having the "#" when the
> message-id after the "#" is the same as the one before the "#" (iow,
> it's the first message).

Here's another idea.  Right now the <A NAME="tag"> tag is the
message-id, but since messages are added consecutively to a thread, we
could just assign each of them a number, so that to link the second
message in a thread we could do this

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20151023125233.GQ3685@tamriel.snowman.net#2
We could do this in addition to the message-id-based NAME tag.

Re: Excessive # usage in URLs

От
Magnus Hagander

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> > The point of the # is that you actually want to point to that specific
> > message in the thread. If you just pick the first message in the thread we
> > could exclude it, but how else would you link to a specific message?
>
> The request isn't to remove the "#" ability for the flat view entirely,
> it'd just be nice if the site didn't redirect to having the "#" when the
> message-id after the "#" is the same as the one before the "#" (iow,
> it's the first message).

Here's another idea.  Right now the <A NAME="tag"> tag is the
message-id, but since messages are added consecutively to a thread, we
could just assign each of them a number, so that to link the second
message in a thread we could do this

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20151023125233.GQ3685@tamriel.snowman.net#2
We could do this in addition to the message-id-based NAME tag.

True. We could also use the surrogate key we have in the db.

In fact, we could have a <a name> for each of those two, so that one could still use the other one if building URLs elsewhere, but the ones generated in the archives could use the shorter id. That's a number that goes up to max 6 digits at this point (and that would actually  be guaranteed to be stable in the future, unlike just using the sequential)

--

Re: Excessive # usage in URLs

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 10/23/2015 08:28 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>     http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20151023125233.GQ3685@tamriel.snowman.net#2
>     We could do this in addition to the message-id-based NAME tag.
>

> True. We could also use the surrogate key we have in the db.
>
> In fact, we could have a <a name> for each of those two, so that one
> could still use the other one if building URLs elsewhere, but the ones
> generated in the archives could use the shorter id. That's a number that
> goes up to max 6 digits at this point (and that would actually  be
> guaranteed to be stable in the future, unlike just using the sequential)

Not sure if this is useful but it seems a simple solution (without
breaking existing links would be) would be to use a has of some sort:

http://www.postgresql.org/archive/0q97346lkjfgapo23qk

Which of course would link to either a message_id or id in the db. Of
course all old links would continue to work but the default display
would be the hash. Alternatively:

http://www.postgresql.org/archive/0q97346lkjfgapo23qk/2

Where the hash is the thread and the #2 is the reply?

JD

New rule for social situations: "If you think to yourself not even
JD would say this..." Stop and shut your mouth. It's going to be bad.

Re: [pgsql-www] Excessive # usage in URLs

От
Magnus Hagander

Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> > The point of the # is that you actually want to point to that specific
> > message in the thread. If you just pick the first message in the thread we
> > could exclude it, but how else would you link to a specific message?
>
> The request isn't to remove the "#" ability for the flat view entirely,
> it'd just be nice if the site didn't redirect to having the "#" when the
> message-id after the "#" is the same as the one before the "#" (iow,
> it's the first message).

Here's another idea.  Right now the <A NAME="tag"> tag is the
message-id, but since messages are added consecutively to a thread, we
could just assign each of them a number, so that to link the second
message in a thread we could do this

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20151023125233.GQ3685@tamriel.snowman.net#2
We could do this in addition to the message-id-based NAME tag.

True. We could also use the surrogate key we have in the db.

In fact, we could have a <a name> for each of those two, so that one could still use the other one if building URLs elsewhere, but the ones generated in the archives could use the shorter id. That's a number that goes up to max 6 digits at this point (and that would actually  be guaranteed to be stable in the future, unlike just using the sequential)

So, do I win anything for best zombie thread back from the dead today?

It's only been a few years, so I've now actually done this in the shape of two tiny commits and I think totaling 11 lines :)

Basically, now:
* If you navigate to the first message in a thread, no redirect at all is done
* If you navigate to another message, there is a redirect to the # url but using the md5 of the messageid keeping a lot shorter than your average gmail messageid

Well, that's actually more than 4 lines of code per year, you can't expect coding much faster than that!

FWIW, I haven't purged caches so it will gradually start showing up on threads in the archives as time go by.

Re: [pgsql-www] Excessive # usage in URLs

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
> wrote:
> > In fact, we could have a <a name> for each of those two, so that one could
> > still use the other one if building URLs elsewhere, but the ones generated
> > in the archives could use the shorter id. That's a number that goes up to
> > max 6 digits at this point (and that would actually  be guaranteed to be
> > stable in the future, unlike just using the sequential)
>
> So, do I win anything for best zombie thread back from the dead today?

I think you do.

> It's only been a few years, so I've now actually done this in the shape of
> two tiny commits and I think totaling 11 lines :)
>
> Basically, now:
> * If you navigate to the first message in a thread, no redirect at all is
> done

Woooo!!!!

> * If you navigate to another message, there is a redirect to the # url but
> using the md5 of the messageid keeping a lot shorter than your average
> gmail messageid

Yay.

> Well, that's actually more than 4 lines of code per year, you can't expect
> coding much faster than that!
>
> FWIW, I haven't purged caches so it will gradually start showing up on
> threads in the archives as time go by.

Ok.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения

Re: [pgsql-www] Excessive # usage in URLs

Дата:
On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:57:10AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
> > wrote:
> > > In fact, we could have a <a name> for each of those two, so that one could
> > > still use the other one if building URLs elsewhere, but the ones generated
> > > in the archives could use the shorter id. That's a number that goes up to
> > > max 6 digits at this point (and that would actually  be guaranteed to be
> > > stable in the future, unlike just using the sequential)
> >
> > So, do I win anything for best zombie thread back from the dead today?
>
> I think you do.
>
> > It's only been a few years, so I've now actually done this in the shape of
> > two tiny commits and I think totaling 11 lines :)
> >
> > Basically, now:
> > * If you navigate to the first message in a thread, no redirect at all is
> > done
>
> Woooo!!!!
>
> > * If you navigate to another message, there is a redirect to the # url but
> > using the md5 of the messageid keeping a lot shorter than your average
> > gmail messageid
>
> Yay.

Yes, those URLs were getting very long to post in emails.