Обсуждение: whatcom-pgsql

whatcom-pgsql

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Months and months ago, I requested a whatcom@ list for the whatcom
postgresql community. I now live in the area and am trying to get the
user group off the ground.

Can I get that list please?
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc
"If we send our children to Caesar for their education, we should             not be surprised when they come back as
Romans."

Re: whatcom-pgsql

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Months and months ago, I requested a whatcom@ list for the whatcom
> postgresql community. I now live in the area and am trying to get
> the user group off the ground.
>
> Can I get that list please?

Um.  Most PUG lists are dead.  I hesitate to create more of them.  Can I
suggest to use some other mechanism, such as meetup.com as lots of other
PUGs do, at least initially?  If the Whatcom community takes form, we
can certainly create a list later.

Re: whatcom-pgsql

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 08/04/2014 12:04 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Um.  Most PUG lists are dead.  I hesitate to create more of them.  Can I
> suggest to use some other mechanism, such as meetup.com as lots of other
> PUGs do, at least initially?

Meetup.com mailing lists aren't useful for actual communication.  They
just work for announcements.

> If the Whatcom community takes form, we
> can certainly create a list later.

Catch-22:

A: Can't get a PUG started because no mailing list.
B: Can't get a mailing list because no PUG started.

This seems like something it's critical for us to resolve.  Again, it's
sounding like we need some kind of additional resources for "peripheral"
mailing lists.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: whatcom-pgsql

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Aug 4, 2014, at 7:07 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> Um.  Most PUG lists are dead.  I hesitate to create more of them.  Can I
>> suggest to use some other mechanism, such as meetup.com as lots of other
>> PUGs do, at least initially?
>
> Meetup.com mailing lists aren't useful for actual communication.  They
> just work for announcements.

I disagree with this - it really is at the discretion of the meetup organizer.  For example at NYCPUG we used to have
discussionson the Meetup list, but as the group grew it made more sense to limit it to just announcements.  People do
makeuse of the discussion boards and other tools on Meetup to communicate.

Jonathan

Re: whatcom-pgsql

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> > If the Whatcom community takes form, we
> > can certainly create a list later.
>
> Catch-22:
>
> A: Can't get a PUG started because no mailing list.
> B: Can't get a mailing list because no PUG started.
>
> This seems like something it's critical for us to resolve.  Again, it's
> sounding like we need some kind of additional resources for "peripheral"
> mailing lists.

Well, I am not averse to creating a list if it has value.  However, I
don't know that having the list is a prerequisite for a PUG getting off
the ground.  Is it?  Why do we create lists for PUGs that never see any
activity?  Is there any way to stop these lists from being born in the
first place?

Re: whatcom-pgsql

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> don't know that having the list is a prerequisite for a PUG getting off
> the ground.  Is it?  Why do we create lists for PUGs that never see any
> activity?  Is there any way to stop these lists from being born in the
> first place?

Can we automatically remove a list which does not have any activity
last 90 days, for example?

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: whatcom-pgsql

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"

B: Can't get a mailing list because no PUG started.

This seems like something it's critical for us to resolve.  Again, it's
sounding like we need some kind of additional resources for "peripheral"
mailing lists.

Well, I am not averse to creating a list if it has value.  However, I
don't know that having the list is a prerequisite for a PUG getting off
the ground.  Is it?  Why do we create lists for PUGs that never see any
activity?  Is there any way to stop these lists from being born in the
first place?

As long as there is a place for people to get updates, be it on the PG infrastructure, Meetup, a G+ page, etc. that is really all that is needed.  It's also why we keep this list (http://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/) which provides URLs to websites / mailing lists (on PG infra and off), so the organizers can use the tools that they prefer.  I personally find Meetup very useful for organizing meetups and helping new people to become active in our user group.  There are fees associated with it, but for aspiring PUG organizers, if they join one of the advocacy nonprofits (PG.US, PG.EU, etc.) they may be able to receive funding to use it.

In terms of PUG activity (which leads into the dead mailing-list point), perhaps we need to create a formal set of guidelines in terms of what constitutes an active vs inactive PUG.  While some user groups can hold monthly meetings based on location, availability of speakers, etc., it's easier for others to hold quarterly ones.  Perhaps we're at the point as a community where we do need to make sure that the various PUGs are holding events on a regular basis.  If a PUG is truly inactive and there is no one able to take over the organizational duties, we can remove the mailing list from PG infra so it is one less thing to maintain.

Of course, talking about "What constitutes an active PUG" covers a greater scope than what the original discussion was, but perhaps it will help solve the problem.  I think in this particular case, if JD thinks the best way to build out a community in his area, we should give it a try, and simultaneously come up with a policies for "An active PUG" + "removing dead mailing lists."

Jonathan

Re: whatcom-pgsql

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

What this boils down is presence within .Org. I can easily petition .US
to host this list. I can easily create a G+ Group (especially since that
is where the community page is) if that is what the community wants.

In the broader scope of things, the more the community becomes dispersed
the more .Org becomes less relevant (outside of software release).
Perhaps that is the goal but it certainly makes it more difficult to
keep a consistent message.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake