Обсуждение: PUG Listing?

PUG Listing?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
WWW,

Since pugs.postgresql.org is long gone, I'd like to have a page on
www.postgresql.org which just lists the user groups like this:

region
country
area
PUG
web page
mailing list

e.g.:
Americas
USA
San Francisco
SFPUG
http://www.meetup.com/postgresql-1/
http://archives.postgresql.org/sfpug/

This seems like a good job for a basic Django app, editable through
Admin.  There's low churn on the data, so it shouldn't be much trouble
to maintain.  If people approve of
this idea, I'll start tinkering with it on a fork.

It would also be a reasonable thing for the wiki, EXCEPT that our wiki
pages have a Google search rank of approximately zero, so putting
anything like this on the wiki is a guarantee that nobody looking for it
will find it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: PUG Listing?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
[...]

+1 for having this list on the site

If we go the website route, Selena and I had started code for the new site pugs site, perhaps some of this code could be reused: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgpugs.git;a=summary

I'm not sure if this is possible with the wiki, but an alternative idea is we do use a wiki page, but have the output embedded onto the main postgres webiste.  Or possibly have a link off of the main postgres website e.g. http://www.postgressql.org/community/pugs that does a permanent redirect to the wiki.

Jonathan

Re: PUG Listing?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> If we go the website route, Selena and I had started code for the new site pugs site, perhaps some of this code could
bereused: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgpugs.git;a=summary

Oh, I didn't even know about this project.  Looks like you lost momentum
about a year ago.  How much functionality did you actually get done?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: PUG Listing?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Oct 10, 2012, at 2:37 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> If we go the website route, Selena and I had started code for the new site pugs site, perhaps some of this code
couldbe reused: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgpugs.git;a=summary

> Oh, I didn't even know about this project.  Looks like you lost momentum
> about a year ago.  How much functionality did you actually get done?

Just looked at the code - listing the pugs by geographical region was done(-ish, really needed a couple of more lines)
andit looks like it could include posts from the PUG blogs.  You could edit what pugs were visible in the list from the
Djangoadmin that was setup.  The functionality from this code rewrite was to mirror the old PUG site.

Getting the pug list done would be minimal work.  Unless we plan on relaunching the pugs.postgresql.org site, It would
probablybe a better endeavor to take the data models, simplify them slightly, and put them into the main -www codebase,
aswell as the listing code.

Jonathan

Re: PUG Listing?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> Getting the pug list done would be minimal work.  Unless we plan on relaunching the pugs.postgresql.org site, It
wouldprobably be a better endeavor to take the data models, simplify them slightly, and put them into the main -www
codebase,as well as the listing code.

Yeah, I guess the question is: is there any value in having a blog
listing for all the PUGs?  I know that SFPUG wasn't using ours because
it was Just Another Darned Place To Post Things.  However, other PUGs
may have felt differently.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: PUG Listing?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2012, at 2:37 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>>> If we go the website route, Selena and I had started code for the new site pugs site, perhaps some of this code
couldbe reused: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgpugs.git;a=summary

>> Oh, I didn't even know about this project.  Looks like you lost momentum
>> about a year ago.  How much functionality did you actually get done?
>
> Just looked at the code - listing the pugs by geographical region was done(-ish, really needed a couple of more
lines) and it looks like it could include posts from the PUG blogs.  You could edit what pugs were visible in the list
fromthe Django admin that was setup.  The functionality from this code rewrite was to mirror the old PUG site.

> Getting the pug list done would be minimal work.  Unless we plan on relaunching the pugs.postgresql.org site, It
wouldprobably be a better endeavor to take the data models, simplify them slightly, and put them into the main -www
codebase,as well as the listing code.

I would suggest going with whatever is the simplest. At least starting
there. Once we've proven to ourselves that we have the manpower to
maintain that, we can start considering doing something more advanced.

Thus, +1 for a simple pugs listing/app on the main website. We already
have planet to aggregate blogs, and there are a bazillion different
sites out there that can host your personal blog for you.

Re: PUG Listing?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Oct 10, 2012, at 2:57 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

couldbe reused: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgpugs.git;a=summary

>>> Oh, I didn't even know about this project.  Looks like you lost momentum
>>> about a year ago.  How much functionality did you actually get done?
>>
>> Just looked at the code - listing the pugs by geographical region was done(-ish, really needed a couple of more
lines) and it looks like it could include posts from the PUG blogs.  You could edit what pugs were visible in the list
fromthe Django admin that was setup.  The functionality from this code rewrite was to mirror the old PUG site.

>> Getting the pug list done would be minimal work.  Unless we plan on relaunching the pugs.postgresql.org site, It
wouldprobably be a better endeavor to take the data models, simplify them slightly, and put them into the main -www
codebase,as well as the listing code.

> I would suggest going with whatever is the simplest. At least starting
> there. Once we've proven to ourselves that we have the manpower to
> maintain that, we can start considering doing something more advanced.
>
> Thus, +1 for a simple pugs listing/app on the main website. We already
> have planet to aggregate blogs, and there are a bazillion different
> sites out there that can host your personal blog for you.

So by "app" is it safe to assume "Django app within pgweb" as opposed to a separate project?  If that is the case, I
canmove over the appropriate code relatively quickly.

Jonathan

Re: PUG Listing?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2012, at 2:57 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
>> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

couldbe reused: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgpugs.git;a=summary

>>> Just looked at the code - listing the pugs by geographical region was done(-ish, really needed a couple of more
lines) and it looks like it could include posts from the PUG blogs.  You could edit what pugs were visible in the list
fromthe Django admin that was setup.  The functionality from this code rewrite was to mirror the old PUG site.

>>> Getting the pug list done would be minimal work.  Unless we plan on relaunching the pugs.postgresql.org site, It
wouldprobably be a better endeavor to take the data models, simplify them slightly, and put them into the main -www
codebase,as well as the listing code.

>> I would suggest going with whatever is the simplest. At least starting
>> there. Once we've proven to ourselves that we have the manpower to
>> maintain that, we can start considering doing something more advanced.
>>
>> Thus, +1 for a simple pugs listing/app on the main website. We already
>> have planet to aggregate blogs, and there are a bazillion different
>> sites out there that can host your personal blog for you.
>
> So by "app" is it safe to assume "Django app within pgweb" as opposed to a separate project?  If that is the case, I
canmove over the appropriate code relatively quickly.

Yes.

Re: PUG Listing?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Oct 10, 2012, at 3:12 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 10, 2012, at 2:57 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

couldbe reused: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgpugs.git;a=summary

lines) and it looks like it could include posts from the PUG blogs.  You could edit what pugs were visible in the list
fromthe Django admin that was setup.  The functionality from this code rewrite was to mirror the old PUG site.

wouldprobably be a better endeavor to take the data models, simplify them slightly, and put them into the main -www
codebase,as well as the listing code.

>>> I would suggest going with whatever is the simplest. At least starting
>>> there. Once we've proven to ourselves that we have the manpower to
>>> maintain that, we can start considering doing something more advanced.
>>>
>>> Thus, +1 for a simple pugs listing/app on the main website. We already
>>> have planet to aggregate blogs, and there are a bazillion different
>>> sites out there that can host your personal blog for you.
>>
>> So by "app" is it safe to assume "Django app within pgweb" as opposed to a separate project?  If that is the case, I
canmove over the appropriate code relatively quickly.

> Yes.

OK.  Working on a patch.  Need to adapt it a bit to the pgweb conventions.

Jonathan

Re: PUG Listing?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> OK.  Working on a patch.  Need to adapt it a bit to the pgweb conventions.

Cool!  When this is done, I'll fill in all the PUGs I know of.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.