Обсуждение: Static pages for PUGs?

Static pages for PUGs?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
WWW,

Since pugs.postgresql.org has died, do we want to create some static
pages for the various active PUGs, which will have links to the mailing
list and external resource (wordpress, Meetup.com, etc.) for each?

I ask because people are following links from Google and assuming that
the disappearance of pugs.postgresql.org pages means that the respective
PUGs are gone.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Static pages for PUGs?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 23:52, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> WWW,
>
> Since pugs.postgresql.org has died, do we want to create some static
> pages for the various active PUGs, which will have links to the mailing
> list and external resource (wordpress, Meetup.com, etc.) for each?

I think the general idea was to have a wiki page (or more) for each.
And probably a wiki category for all of them (Category:UserGroups for
example). That will also give you an automatic index.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Static pages for PUGs?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of jue ene 26 06:37:12 -0300 2012:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 23:52, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > WWW,
> >
> > Since pugs.postgresql.org has died, do we want to create some static
> > pages for the various active PUGs, which will have links to the mailing
> > list and external resource (wordpress, Meetup.com, etc.) for each?
>
> I think the general idea was to have a wiki page (or more) for each.
> And probably a wiki category for all of them (Category:UserGroups for
> example). That will also give you an automatic index.

So would we have a redirect from pugs.postgresql.org to that wiki
category?

Re: Static pages for PUGs?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 15:21, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of jue ene 26 06:37:12 -0300 2012:
>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 23:52, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> > WWW,
>> >
>> > Since pugs.postgresql.org has died, do we want to create some static
>> > pages for the various active PUGs, which will have links to the mailing
>> > list and external resource (wordpress, Meetup.com, etc.) for each?
>>
>> I think the general idea was to have a wiki page (or more) for each.
>> And probably a wiki category for all of them (Category:UserGroups for
>> example). That will also give you an automatic index.
>
> So would we have a redirect from pugs.postgresql.org to that wiki
> category?

We could if we wanted to, yes :-) But first, we need to actually have
those pages on there...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Static pages for PUGs?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Jan 26, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 15:21, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>
>> Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of jue ene 26 06:37:12 -0300 2012:

>>> I think the general idea was to have a wiki page (or more) for each.
>>> And probably a wiki category for all of them (Category:UserGroups for
>>> example). That will also give you an automatic index.
>>
>> So would we have a redirect from pugs.postgresql.org to that wiki
>> category?
>
> We could if we wanted to, yes :-) But first, we need to actually have
> those pages on there...

Would a viable alternative be to use the organizations from the main site and just classify which ones are PUGs?

Re: Static pages for PUGs?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 15:35, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 15:21, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of jue ene 26 06:37:12 -0300 2012:

>>> So would we have a redirect from pugs.postgresql.org to that wiki
>>> category?
>>
>> We could if we wanted to, yes :-) But first, we need to actually have
>> those pages on there...
>
> Would a viable alternative be to use the organizations from the main site and just classify which ones are PUGs?

Certainly - but I thought the organizations wanted to be able to add
their own custom information and not be bound by the limited number of
fields there?

Or do you mean just use that as a list, and use the URL field there to
point to the custom page?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Static pages for PUGs?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 15:35, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 26, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> We could if we wanted to, yes :-) But first, we need to actually have
>>> those pages on there...
>>
>> Would a viable alternative be to use the organizations from the main site and just classify which ones are PUGs?
>
> Certainly - but I thought the organizations wanted to be able to add
> their own custom information and not be bound by the limited number of
> fields there?
>
> Or do you mean just use that as a list, and use the URL field there to
> point to the custom page?

Both? ;-)

FWIW I don't think PUGs really need too much custom info - name, managers, brief description, URL to meetup/whatever
page,link to events posted in the system.

I also realize by making these suggestions that I am most likely volunteering myself for these changes...

Re: Static pages for PUGs?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 16:58, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 15:35, Jonathan S. Katz
>> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

>>> Would a viable alternative be to use the organizations from the main site and just classify which ones are PUGs?
>>
>> Certainly - but I thought the organizations wanted to be able to add
>> their own custom information and not be bound by the limited number of
>> fields there?
>>
>> Or do you mean just use that as a list, and use the URL field there to
>> point to the custom page?
>
> Both? ;-)
>
> FWIW I don't think PUGs really need too much custom info - name, managers, brief description, URL to meetup/whatever
page,link to events posted in the system.

The minute you go into *any* custom information, you won't be able to
use the general organization listing, really. It's used over *all* the
website.

That said, you can certainly make a *separate* PUGs listing on the
main website, there is nothing preventing that. But you can't use the
general orgaization one.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Static pages for PUGs?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> I think the general idea was to have a wiki page (or more) for each.
> And probably a wiki category for all of them (Category:UserGroups for
> example). That will also give you an automatic index.

Yeah, I think the wiki would work better than the old pugs site did.
I'd like to improve their search rank on google somehow, though, so that
people find them when searching for user groups, but that's a later project.

Should be fairly fast to put some pages up, I'll see when I have time
(too much darned travel).

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.