Обсуждение: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

Дата:
We have nearly ten years of pgsql-committers archives that are now next
door to useless, because the anoncvs diff links in them are now 404.
Could we have that service back please?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 17:29, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> We have nearly ten years of pgsql-committers archives that are now next
> door to useless, because the anoncvs diff links in them are now 404.
> Could we have that service back please?

Uh, that's a good point. Thinko.

Marc, hopefully you didn't zap it yet? Can you bring the machine back?
(it also needs to get the DNS entry back - I don't recall what it used
to be, so please do that when you get there)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Nah, I'm a pack rat ... anoncvs restarted now ...

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 17:29, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> We have nearly ten years of pgsql-committers archives that are now next
>> door to useless, because the anoncvs diff links in them are now 404.
>> Could we have that service back please?
>
> Uh, that's a good point. Thinko.
>
> Marc, hopefully you didn't zap it yet? Can you bring the machine back?
> (it also needs to get the DNS entry back - I don't recall what it used
> to be, so please do that when you get there)
>

> --
>  Magnus Hagander
>  Me: http://www.hagander.net/
>  Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
206.223.169.93  anoncvs.postgresql.org

maybe 'cvs.postgresql.org' should be pointed ther too, for the archives?

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 17:29, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> We have nearly ten years of pgsql-committers archives that are now next
>> door to useless, because the anoncvs diff links in them are now 404.
>> Could we have that service back please?
>
> Uh, that's a good point. Thinko.
>
> Marc, hopefully you didn't zap it yet? Can you bring the machine back?
> (it also needs to get the DNS entry back - I don't recall what it used
> to be, so please do that when you get there)
>

> --
>  Magnus Hagander
>  Me: http://www.hagander.net/
>  Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 19:55, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> 206.223.169.93  anoncvs.postgresql.org
>
> maybe 'cvs.postgresql.org' should be pointed ther too, for the archives?

We've never had any links point to it, and the only people actually
using it were committers. They should know better ;)

Thus, no, I don't think so.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> 206.223.169.93  anoncvs.postgresql.org

> maybe 'cvs.postgresql.org' should be pointed ther too, for the archives?

Probably not necessary --- I don't think we have a lot of links to such
URLs in the archives.

(FYI, anoncvs.postgresql.org isn't resolving here yet, but it's probably
just a cache delay someplace.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of lun nov 22 13:29:34 -0300 2010:
> We have nearly ten years of pgsql-committers archives that are now next
> door to useless, because the anoncvs diff links in them are now 404.
> Could we have that service back please?

I wonder if we could handle this in the longer term so that the URL for
each pg-committers message takes you to the gitweb page for that commit.
Probably too much work for not enough gain, I guess.

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

Дата:
> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of lun nov 22 13:29:34 -0300 2010:
>> We have nearly ten years of pgsql-committers archives that are now next
>> door to useless, because the anoncvs diff links in them are now 404.
>> Could we have that service back please?

> I wonder if we could handle this in the longer term so that the URL for
> each pg-committers message takes you to the gitweb page for that commit.
> Probably too much work for not enough gain, I guess.

Yeah, probably.  Another difficulty is that our own archives are not the
only places those messages are archived.

It occurred to me that instead of an actual CVS server, we could
possibly have a simple redirector at anoncvs.postgresql.org, which would
redirect the diff links to suitable views into the gitweb.  But it's
still a lot of work compared to just keeping the old server alive.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 21:11, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of lun nov 22 13:29:34 -0300 2010:
>>> We have nearly ten years of pgsql-committers archives that are now next
>>> door to useless, because the anoncvs diff links in them are now 404.
>>> Could we have that service back please?
>
>> I wonder if we could handle this in the longer term so that the URL for
>> each pg-committers message takes you to the gitweb page for that commit.
>> Probably too much work for not enough gain, I guess.
>
> Yeah, probably.  Another difficulty is that our own archives are not the
> only places those messages are archived.
>
> It occurred to me that instead of an actual CVS server, we could
> possibly have a simple redirector at anoncvs.postgresql.org, which would
> redirect the diff links to suitable views into the gitweb.  But it's
> still a lot of work compared to just keeping the old server alive.

It's certainly going to be a non-trivial amount of work to generate
that mapping list, no? But if someone wants to generate it, I'll be
happy to put it in place....

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of lun nov 22 17:17:47 -0300 2010:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 21:11, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
> >> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of lun nov 22 13:29:34 -0300 2010:
> >
> >> I wonder if we could handle this in the longer term so that the URL for
> >> each pg-committers message takes you to the gitweb page for that commit.
> >> Probably too much work for not enough gain, I guess.
> >
> > Yeah, probably.  Another difficulty is that our own archives are not the
> > only places those messages are archived.
> >
> > It occurred to me that instead of an actual CVS server, we could
> > possibly have a simple redirector at anoncvs.postgresql.org, which would
> > redirect the diff links to suitable views into the gitweb.  But it's
> > still a lot of work compared to just keeping the old server alive.
>
> It's certainly going to be a non-trivial amount of work to generate
> that mapping list, no? But if someone wants to generate it, I'll be
> happy to put it in place....

Maybe if the cvs2git conversion had recorded the CVS revisions somewhere
in each commit's metadata, it could be done, but I don't think it does
that.  So it would amount to a second guessing of commit messages vs.
dates.  A lot of work; not for human beings, I fear.

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

Дата:
BTW, anoncvs.postgresql.org still doesn't resolve for me.  Shouldn't
that DNS update have propagated by now?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Fixed ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2010, Tom Lane wrote:
>> BTW, anoncvs.postgresql.org still doesn't resolve for me.  Shouldn't
>> that DNS update have propagated by now?

> Fixed ...

OK, now it resolves, but it doesn't respond on port 80.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Why would it?  its cvs, not svn ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> Why would it?  its cvs, not svn ...

It was a cvsweb installation.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Why would it?  its cvs, not svn ...

Well we need the webinterface as well because that is what the
pgsql-hackers archive is pointing too...

Stefan

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Should be fixed now ... confirm?

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010, Dave Page wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
>>
>> Why would it?  its cvs, not svn ...
>
> It was a cvsweb installation.
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Why was anoncvs taken offline, exactly?

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Should be fixed now ... confirm?

Yup, the links in the pgsql-committers archives seem to work now.
Thanks!
        regards, tom lane