Обсуждение: Beta4 release announcement

Beta4 release announcement

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:

Дата:
01.Ağu.2010 tarihinde 18:39 saatinde, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.co

Дата:

I can do it!

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
Ok, so the announce message was approved prematurely, after I sent an
email asking folks not to.

Ugh.

Now what?

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2010/8/1 Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com>:
> Ok, so the announce message was approved prematurely, after I sent an
> email asking folks not to.

OK, so that answers my question I just emailed you :-p

Who did you ask not to approve the message? I didn't see anything
about that (not that I approved it, but I could have done).

Another possibility... are you one of the folks we've whitelisted for
sending to -announce because we like you so much? :-)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
2010/8/1 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
> 2010/8/1 Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com>:
>> Ok, so the announce message was approved prematurely, after I sent an
>> email asking folks not to.
>
> OK, so that answers my question I just emailed you :-p
>
> Who did you ask not to approve the message? I didn't see anything
> about that (not that I approved it, but I could have done).
>
> Another possibility... are you one of the folks we've whitelisted for
> sending to -announce because we like you so much? :-)

I got the stall message, so no, I am not whitelisted :)

I sent the message asking for the message to not be approved to -www.
Is there a better forum?

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> I sent the message asking for the message to not be approved to -www.
> Is there a better forum?

Not really, and besides people approving messages to -announce should
know not to approve a release message without checking on it.  I think
we need to find out who approved that and take them off approvals for
-announce permanently.  What's the full list of people who have the
ability to approve -announce messages?

I'll add the release announcement to News for the home page.  I believe
that the WWW approvers know not to approve it early.

--                                   -- Josh Berkus                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                           http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
Hey!

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> I sent the message asking for the message to not be approved to -www.
>> Is there a better forum?
>
> Not really, and besides people approving messages to -announce should know
> not to approve a release message without checking on it.  I think we need to
> find out who approved that and take them off approvals for -announce
> permanently.

That seems a bit harsh. People do lots of worse things than mistakenly
approve email, and don't get responsibility removed.

Let's make the process for this a bit more clear.

Where should the authoritative discussion be had about timing for
release? Is it here? Or on -packagers, or somewhere else?

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 08/01/2010 08:39 AM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've hacked up a release announcement:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/9.0beta4announcement
>
> Did I miss anything major?

This paragraph is confusing:

Note that, due to a system catalog change, an initdb and database reload
will be required for upgrading from 9.0Beta1. We encourage users to use
this opportunity to test pg_upgrade for the upgrade from beta3 or an
earlier version of 9.0. Please report your results.

It should read instead:

Unlike previous betas, there has been no system catalog change since
Beta3, so an initdb should not be required to upgrade test databases
from Beta3.  Upgrading test databases from earlier versions or betas
will require an initdb, however, so we urge users to take the
opportunity to test upgrading their database using 9.0's pg_upgrade and
report the results.

... as I believe we did *not* bump the system catalogs this time.

--                                   -- Josh Berkus                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                           http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 08/01/2010 08:39 AM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I've hacked up a release announcement:
>>
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/9.0beta4announcement
>>
>> Did I miss anything major?
>
> This paragraph is confusing:
>
> Note that, due to a system catalog change, an initdb and database reload
> will be required for upgrading from 9.0Beta1. We encourage users to use this
> opportunity to test pg_upgrade for the upgrade from beta3 or an earlier
> version of 9.0. Please report your results.
>
> It should read instead:
>
> Unlike previous betas, there has been no system catalog change since Beta3,
> so an initdb should not be required to upgrade test databases from Beta3.
>  Upgrading test databases from earlier versions or betas will require an
> initdb, however, so we urge users to take the opportunity to test upgrading
> their database using 9.0's pg_upgrade and report the results.
>
> ... as I believe we did *not* bump the system catalogs this time.

Ok :) That text was in from the last release.  Mea culpa.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 12:52 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> I'll add the release announcement to News for the home page.  I
> believe that the WWW approvers know not to approve it early.

:)

and I'll also commit things to -www tomorrow. I'll also load the docs...
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> I sent the message asking for the message to not be approved to -www.

I'm with Dave here:  I didn't see anything on pgsql-www related to
this.  I just checked the archives too; nothing I see matches.  Think
there were two problems here:  that warning message didn't make it
through for whatever reason, and someone moderating announce who should
have known to check this sort of announcement more carefully goofed.

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2010/8/1 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 12:52 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>> I'll add the release announcement to News for the home page.  I
>> believe that the WWW approvers know not to approve it early.
>
> :)
>
> and I'll also commit things to -www tomorrow. I'll also load the docs...

Thanks Devrim - that'll be a big help!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
2010/8/1 Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>:
> Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>>
>> I sent the message asking for the message to not be approved to -www.
>
> I'm with Dave here:  I didn't see anything on pgsql-www related to this.  I
> just checked the archives too; nothing I see matches.  Think there were two
> problems here:  that warning message didn't make it through for whatever
> reason, and someone moderating announce who should have known to check this
> sort of announcement more carefully goofed.
>
> --

I've already mentioned this on the moderators list, but repeating
here.  The "binaries for other platforms" link isn't yet available.
Is someone already working on that?

Thom

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 10:49 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
> The "binaries for other platforms" link isn't yet available. Is
> someone already working on that?

Guess who? :)
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 23:04 +0300, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> and I'll also commit things to -www tomorrow. I'll also load the
> docs...

Josh, website updated. You can send updated announcement.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: Beta4 release announcement

От