Обсуждение: Whitelisting?

Whitelisting?

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
Can we whitelist robert@pg-live.info? He's got some large headers that
are tripping up majordomo, and I'm having to approve lotsa stuff.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: Whitelisting?

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Selena Deckelmann escribió:
>> Can we whitelist robert@pg-live.info? He's got some large headers that
>> are tripping up majordomo, and I'm having to approve lotsa stuff.
>
> I think the right answer is to increase the header limit.  I get some
> moderation requests from large headers on legitimate email too.

I like that solution too!

The high water mark was about 500. Here's an example error message:

>  A MIME header is too long (444 > 256)

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: Whitelisting?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann escribió:
> Can we whitelist robert@pg-live.info? He's got some large headers that
> are tripping up majordomo, and I'm having to approve lotsa stuff.

I think the right answer is to increase the header limit.  I get some
moderation requests from large headers on legitimate email too.

Re: Whitelisting?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Selena Deckelmann escribi?:
>>> Can we whitelist robert@pg-live.info? He's got some large headers that
>>> are tripping up majordomo, and I'm having to approve lotsa stuff.
>>
>> I think the right answer is to increase the header limit.  I get some
>> moderation requests from large headers on legitimate email too.
>
> I like that solution too!
>
> The high water mark was about 500. Here's an example error message:
>
>>  A MIME header is too long (444 > 256)

Does doubling to 512 sound okay?  Or should I just go straight to 1024?
thoughts?

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Whitelisting?

Дата:
Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> I think the right answer is to increase the header limit. �I get some
>> moderation requests from large headers on legitimate email too.

> I like that solution too!

+1.  I fairly often see References: lines go over whatever-the-limit-is,
meaning that long threads bump up against moderation restrictions for
no good reason.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Whitelisting?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier escribió:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> ><alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >>Selena Deckelmann escribi?:
> >>
> >>I think the right answer is to increase the header limit.  I get some
> >>moderation requests from large headers on legitimate email too.
> >
> >I like that solution too!
> >
> >The high water mark was about 500. Here's an example error message:
> >
> >> A MIME header is too long (444 > 256)
>
> Does doubling to 512 sound okay?  Or should I just go straight to
> 1024? thoughts?

1024 seems better.  As Tom says, it's not that rare to see References
headers getting long on some threads.

Re: Whitelisting?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
'k, note that the error below references to MIME Headers, not to regular
headers, which are already @ 1024 ...

DEFAULT/_config:                     'max_header_line_length' => '1024',
DEFAULT/_config:                     'max_mime_header_length' => '256',
DEFAULT/_config:                     'max_total_header_length' => 4096,

Is there a reason why somone would have an odd lengthed MIME header?  Odd
length being one that actually seems to trigger the check ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Whitelisting?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
2010/2/2 Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Selena Deckelmann escribió:
>>> Can we whitelist robert@pg-live.info? He's got some large headers that
>>> are tripping up majordomo, and I'm having to approve lotsa stuff.
>>
>> I think the right answer is to increase the header limit.  I get some
>> moderation requests from large headers on legitimate email too.
>
> I like that solution too!
>
> The high water mark was about 500. Here's an example error message:
>
>>  A MIME header is too long (444 > 256)

Out of curiosity: what header is that long?

Re: Whitelisting?

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
pgsql-advocacywas initially refused due to being over the message limit. I had to reduce the image quality to get out
through.<p>These days I think spammers try to make short messages and headers in an effort to avoid any signals which
SelenaDeckelmann wrote:<br /></font><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left:1ex"><p><fontcolor="#500050">> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Alvaro Herrera<br />> <<a
href="mailto:alvherre@commandprompt.com">alvherre@commandprompt.com</a>>wrote:</font><blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="margin:00 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> Selena Deckelmann escribi?:<p><font
color="#500050"><br/>>>><br />>>> Can we whitelist <a
href="mailto:robert@pg-live.info">robert@pg-live.info</a>?He's got some large headers that<br />>>> are
                  Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.<br /><a href="mailto:scrappy@hub.org"
target="_blank">scrappy@hub.org</a>                                    <a href="http://www.hub.org"
target="_blank">hub.org</a>   ICQ:7615664    <a href="mailto:MSN%3Ascrappy@hub.org"
href="mailto:pgsql-www@postgresql.org">pgsql-www@postgresql.org</a>)<br/> To make changes to your
subscriptio...</font></blockquote>

Re: Whitelisting?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Greg Stark escribió:
> Is there any evidence that spammers use longer headers than non-spammers?
>
> Incidentally my earlier post to pgsql-advocacy was initially refused due to
> being over the message limit. I had to reduce the image quality to get out
> through.
>
> These days I think spammers try to make short messages and headers in an
> effort to avoid any signals which catch their messages.

Yeah, they go great lengths to ensure their messages pass through
SpamAssassin clean.  These checks seem to me to be pretty useless --
they only ever catch legitimate email.  Invalid email is caught much
earlier (before it gets to the moderator), or not at all.

Re: Whitelisting?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата: