Обсуждение: location of md5 files ...

location of md5 files ...

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
WWW team,

Does Otto have a point?

--Josh

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: PostgreSQL 2009-12-14 Security Update
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:13:55 -0800
From: Otto Hirr <otto.hirr@olabinc.com>
To: 'Josh Berkus' <josh@postgresql.org>

Josh,

Something I've thought about for a long time....

Why does one have to go to a "mirror" to get a md5 checksum file.
From a "security" perspective, these checksums should simply be
listed on the "main" / "authoritative" website, and maybe also
available for download from a mirror.

What is to say that a "bad" mirror, changes both the file and
the md5 file.... then you have badness... that can not be easily
discovered.

Regards,

..Otto

http://www.postgresql.org/support/security

The PosgreSQL Global Development Group will stop releasing updates for
PostgreSQL versions 7.4 and 8.0 after July of 2010.  We urge users of
those versions to start planning to upgrade now.

-To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to:

Re: location of md5 files ...

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@postgresql.org> wrote:
> WWW team,
>
> Does Otto have a point?

Yes. From a security perspective, the md5's are useless when
distributed alongside the binaries. That's why I GPG sign my releases
of pgAdmin and the MSI installer - noone else can recreate those
signatures.

There is potentially some benefit to having them there to allow the
user to verify they have a good download though, for example, in the
event of an error untarring.

--
Dave Page

Re: location of md5 files ...

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Yes.

Ideally, we should serve up the MD5s from an SSL enabled webserver.
Something to think about for the future.

//Magnus

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 20:23, Josh Berkus <josh@postgresql.org> wrote:
> WWW team,
>
> Does Otto have a point?
>
> --Josh

Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Yes.
>
> Ideally, we should serve up the MD5s from an SSL enabled webserver.
> Something to think about for the future.

Shouldn't we distribute the MD5 signatures along the release message,
which should itself be signed with some appropriate GPG key?

Re: location of md5 files ...

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Ideally, we should serve up the MD5s from an SSL enabled webserver.
>> Something to think about for the future.
>
> Shouldn't we distribute the MD5 signatures along the release message,
> which should itself be signed with some appropriate GPG key?

That sounds right to me. Even if it's not signed I can go check the
various mail archives to verify that other people saw the same
signatures and nobody else complained about a spoofed file.

--
greg

Re: location of md5 files ...

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On mån, 2009-12-14 at 17:00 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Yes.
> >
> > Ideally, we should serve up the MD5s from an SSL enabled webserver.
> > Something to think about for the future.
>
> Shouldn't we distribute the MD5 signatures along the release message,
> which should itself be signed with some appropriate GPG key?

Someone was doing this a while ago on their own.

But the usual argument for the md5 files in the past was to catch
download mistakes, not security.

Re: location of md5 files ...

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 16 December 2009 11:14:22 Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On mån, 2009-12-14 at 17:00 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > Yes.
> > >
> > > Ideally, we should serve up the MD5s from an SSL enabled webserver.
> > > Something to think about for the future.
> >
> > Shouldn't we distribute the MD5 signatures along the release message,
> > which should itself be signed with some appropriate GPG key?
>
> Someone was doing this a while ago on their own.

Greg Mullane was the one who used to do it.

> But the usual argument for the md5 files in the past was to catch
> download mistakes, not security.

Yes, though it would be nice to see us worry about both.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net