Обсуждение: Link locations for beta?

Link locations for beta?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
WWW team,

I need links for all of the following items, to where they will be once
the beta is released.  Please correct any of the below:

Release
Notes:http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.htmlOR:http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-8-4.html
which??

Source Code:http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.4beta1/

Windows Installers:http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3beta1/win32/

Other Binaries:

Beta Information Page:http://www.postgresql.org/developer/beta

Bug Report Form:http://www.postgresql.org/support/submitbug

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Link locations for beta?

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> WWW team,
>
> I need links for all of the following items, to where they will be once
> the beta is released.  Please correct any of the below:
>
> Release Notes:
>     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html
>     OR:
>     http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-8-4.html
>
>     which??

The second one is updated regularly so I would use that.  I am not sure
when the first one is updated.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Link locations for beta?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> WWW team,
>
> I need links for all of the following items, to where they will be once the
> beta is released.  Please correct any of the below:
>
> Release Notes:
>        http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html
>        OR:
>        http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-8-4.html

The latter is probably safest for the first beta.

> Source Code:
>        http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.4beta1/
>
> Windows Installers:
>        http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3beta1/win32/
>
> Other Binaries:

You should just direct people to www.postgresql.org/downloads which
has links/info about getting binaries for all sorts of platforms.

--
Dave Page

Re: Link locations for beta?

От
Magnus Hagander
Dave Page wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> WWW team,
>>
>> I need links for all of the following items, to where they will be once the
>> beta is released.  Please correct any of the below:
>>
>> Release Notes:
>>        http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html
>>        OR:
>>        http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-8-4.html
>
> The latter is probably safest for the first beta.

I'd much rather see us use the first. Otherwise, we end up with links
all over the web pointing to the wrong place in the future - the
majority of which would be links we don't control.

//Magnus

Re: Link locations for beta?

Дата:
>>> Release Notes:
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html
>>> OR:
>>> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-8-4.html

> I'd much rather see us use the first.

I agree.  Can we temporarily set up a cron job to copy the devel docs
tree over to docs/8.4 once a day or so?  A manual copy right now would
be second best, but we'll be working on the docs throughout beta and
it'd be nice if the advertised URL stayed up to date.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Link locations for beta?

От
Magnus Hagander

On 11 apr 2009, at 16.17, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> I'd much rather see us use the first.
>
> I agree.  Can we temporarily set up a cron job to copy the devel docs
> tree over to docs/8.4 once a day or so?  A manual copy right now would
> be second best, but we'll be working on the docs throughout beta and
> it'd be nice if the advertised URL stayed up to date

The docs are currently loaded manually from the tarballs. As long as
the same files are present in the snapshot tarballs it should be
fairly easy to modify the script and stick it in a cron job.

/Magnus

Re: Link locations for beta?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> You should just direct people to www.postgresql.org/downloads which
> has links/info about getting binaries for all sorts of platforms.

Only if you're going to update that page with a paragraph for where to
find the beta.  Are you?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Link locations for beta?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:53 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
>> You should just direct people to www.postgresql.org/downloads which
>> has links/info about getting binaries for all sorts of platforms.
>
> Only if you're going to update that page with a paragraph for where to find
> the beta.  Are you?

No - we don't list any other versions explicitly.

--
Dave Page

Re: Link locations for beta?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 4/13/09 2:13 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:53 AM, Josh Berkus<josh@agliodbs.com>  wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>>> You should just direct people to www.postgresql.org/downloads which
>>> has links/info about getting binaries for all sorts of platforms.
>> Only if you're going to update that page with a paragraph for where to find
>> the beta.  Are you?
>
> No - we don't list any other versions explicitly.

In that case, I'd rather provide direct links in the announcement and on
/developer/beta.  There's no excuse to make people hunt for the beta
instead of making it obvious.

HOWEVER, I would like a change to where the betas are posted (Marc, you
listening?).  Please put all betas at:
    http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.4beta/    http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3beta/win32/

Instead of putting each beta version in a path like:
    http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.4beta1/    http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3beta1/win32/

That way, we won't have to keep updating the links every where for each
beta and RC release; the directories will remain the same.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Link locations for beta?

От
Magnus Hagander
Tom Lane wrote:

>> I'd much rather see us use the first.
>
> I agree.  Can we temporarily set up a cron job to copy the devel docs
> tree over to docs/8.4 once a day or so?  A manual copy right now would
> be second best, but we'll be working on the docs throughout beta and
> it'd be nice if the advertised URL stayed up to date.

I've set up such a temporary job.

FYI 2 web team: it's run out of my personal crontab on wwwmaster -
because that's where I had the load scripts set up. So if something goes
boom, just disable it there. There is nothing else in my crontab, so it
should be Painfully Obvious which one it is :)

//Magnus

Re: Link locations for beta?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> In that case, I'd rather provide direct links in the announcement and on
> /developer/beta.  There's no excuse to make people hunt for the beta instead
> of making it obvious.

Right - which s exactly why I don't want you to publish links directly
to a small handful of binaries and ignore the fact that the vast
majority actually come from other places such as the yum repo, the EDB
download server, ports, apt etc. etc.

> HOWEVER, I would like a change to where the betas are posted (Marc, you
> listening?).  Please put all betas at:
>
>    http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.4beta/
>    http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3beta/win32/
>
> That way, we won't have to keep updating the links every where for each beta
> and RC release; the directories will remain the same.

So for the sake of changing 2 characters in each announcement, we have
to change the filing system to one which requires more and more effort
for every user to locate the file they want? I don't think that makes
much sense.

It's also likely to lead users to 404's more often as the website
usually updates before all the mirrors do, so having a single page for
all releases will potentially have invalid links on it for up to 24
hours, whereas users will be far less likely to find them on an as-yet
unadvertised page.

--
Dave Page

Re: Link locations for beta?

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>    http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3beta/win32/

i guess you mean
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.4beta/win32/

;)

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova

Re: Link locations for beta?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> Right - which s exactly why I don't want you to publish links directly
> to a small handful of binaries and ignore the fact that the vast
> majority actually come from other places such as the yum repo, the EDB
> download server, ports, apt etc. etc.

Except it's not clear to the user from the page which of those have
betas, and how to get those betas.  If we want to not have a full set of
links in the e-mails, then we need to have explicit links & information
on how to get every single beta binary somewhere else, like the
developer/beta page.

In other words: if people have difficulty *finding* the betas, they
won't test them.

> So for the sake of changing 2 characters in each announcement, we have
> to change the filing system to one which requires more and more effort
> for every user to locate the file they want? I don't think that makes
> much sense.

It was more about the web pages than the announcements.

> It's also likely to lead users to 404's more often as the website
> usually updates before all the mirrors do, so having a single page for
> all releases will potentially have invalid links on it for up to 24
> hours, whereas users will be far less likely to find them on an as-yet
> unadvertised page.

Ah, I didn't know about that issue.

--
Josh Berkus