Обсуждение: Upgrading pgFoundry

Upgrading pgFoundry

От
David E. Wheeler
Дата:
Re-sent -hackers message:

On Sep 24, 2008, at 14:02, Joshua Drake wrote:

> I think one problem we have right now, is nobody knows what it is
> going
> to take. I would expect that our current version is sufficiently old
> enough to cause some migration pain?
>
> I know we have two members willing to help that are not Stefan and I.
> Which is good, but this doesn't appear to be a small project.

Does anyone know what needs to be done? If so, and you'd like to reply
with a list of tasks, I can put in a little time this week and maybe
next starting down that road. If it's a big job, I likely can't do it
all myself, but I'm certainly happy to help out!

Best,

David

Re: Upgrading pgFoundry

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 6:19 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> Re-sent -hackers message:
>
> On Sep 24, 2008, at 14:02, Joshua Drake wrote:
>
>> I think one problem we have right now, is nobody knows what it is going
>> to take. I would expect that our current version is sufficiently old
>> enough to cause some migration pain?
>>
>> I know we have two members willing to help that are not Stefan and I.
>> Which is good, but this doesn't appear to be a small project.
>
> Does anyone know what needs to be done? If so, and you'd like to reply with
> a list of tasks, I can put in a little time this week and maybe next
> starting down that road. If it's a big job, I likely can't do it all myself,
> but I'm certainly happy to help out!

Unless you're an expert with GForge, there's probably not much you can
do (and we do have one GForge developer who has kindly agreed to work
on the upgrade. The current issue is one of hardware platform which
I'm about to go solve myself.

Once that is sorted, and our GForge guy has assessed what needs to be
done, there may be more tasks that you could help out with.

--
Dave Page

Re: Upgrading pgFoundry

От
Chander Ganesan
Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 6:19 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
>
>> Re-sent -hackers message:
>>
>> On Sep 24, 2008, at 14:02, Joshua Drake wrote:
>>

>>> I think one problem we have right now, is nobody knows what it is going
>>> to take. I would expect that our current version is sufficiently old
>>> enough to cause some migration pain?
>>>
>>> I know we have two members willing to help that are not Stefan and I.
>>> Which is good, but this doesn't appear to be a small project.
>>>
>> Does anyone know what needs to be done? If so, and you'd like to reply with
>> a list of tasks, I can put in a little time this week and maybe next
>> starting down that road. If it's a big job, I likely can't do it all myself,
>> but I'm certainly happy to help out!
>>

> Unless you're an expert with GForge, there's probably not much you can
> do (and we do have one GForge developer who has kindly agreed to work
> on the upgrade. The current issue is one of hardware platform which
> I'm about to go solve myself.

I'm actually an almost-expert with GForge (we offer a range of GForge
courses, including Administration/management, and I hacked around the
code quite a bit), but at present my time is somewhat limited.  I did
submit a bunch of bugs/fixes for the soon-to-be-released version some
time ago.  I'm not sure if they have been corrected, but IMHO, many of
them are "show stoppers", there's also a bunch of data type issues with
PG 8.3 and GForge - I'm also not sure if they've been fixed.  I'm
assuming we'd want to move to the latest release...

I would agree that its definitely not a small project.  There have been
lots of changes, esp to the SQL code, and several less-used facets might
still be untested.
> Once that is sorted, and our GForge guy has assessed what needs to be
> done, there may be more tasks that you could help out with.

If there's a list of tasks, I can probably pick and do some of them...

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

Re: Upgrading pgFoundry

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Sep 26, 2008, at 01:30, Dave Page wrote:

> Unless you're an expert with GForge, there's probably not much you can
> do (and we do have one GForge developer who has kindly agreed to work
> on the upgrade. The current issue is one of hardware platform which
> I'm about to go solve myself.

Um, Steffan and JD said that there was a new box all ready to go.

> Once that is sorted, and our GForge guy has assessed what needs to be
> done, there may be more tasks that you could help out with.

Yeah, please let me know.

Best,

David

Re: Upgrading pgFoundry

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 5:12 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2008, at 01:30, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> Unless you're an expert with GForge, there's probably not much you can
>> do (and we do have one GForge developer who has kindly agreed to work
>> on the upgrade. The current issue is one of hardware platform which
>> I'm about to go solve myself.
>
> Um, Steffan and JD said that there was a new box all ready to go.

There is, but it's a 32 bit box whilst we use 64 bit virtually
everywhere else now, making our normal backup system ineffective.
We're working out the details of that at the moment.

--
Dave Page

Re: Upgrading pgFoundry

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Sep 26, 2008, at 09:14, Dave Page wrote:

>> Um, Steffan and JD said that there was a new box all ready to go.
>
> There is, but it's a 32 bit box whilst we use 64 bit virtually
> everywhere else now, making our normal backup system ineffective.
> We're working out the details of that at the moment.

Ah, I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

Best,

David