Обсуждение: Huh? What is this?

Huh? What is this?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
I know that this link is only available to people on the sysadmin team,
but for reference:
https://pmt.postgresql.org/changeset/478

What is this? A site that has not been discussed at all (AFAIK - given
that it seems to happen a lot lately, maybe I'm having email delivery
issues?) suddenly appears in the configuration of a machine that is
supposedly managed by the community? A system user is added to one of
our servers that already does other things.

We normally discuss things before we add new services to machines, don't
we? Especially when it's a box that shares data with some of our most
vital services, like archives. Also, our current policy is to as much as
possible *isolate* services using VM technology - this is especially
important for such critical services.

Also, there appears to be exactly zero documentation about it, but I
assume that's just a matter of time. Oh, and it appears that the apache
configuration isn't in the automatic backup.

BTW, the docs also says that postgresqlconference.org is only supposed
to be there temporarily during reprovisioning - is that still so, or
should the documentation be fixed wrt that?

//Magnus

Re: Huh? What is this?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I know that this link is only available to people on the sysadmin team,
> but for reference:
> https://pmt.postgresql.org/changeset/478

> What is this? A site that has not been discussed at all (AFAIK - given
> that it seems to happen a lot lately, maybe I'm having email delivery

It was a test site for the scripts that we had from Marc.

> We normally discuss things before we add new services to machines, don't
> we? Especially when it's a box that shares data with some of our most
> vital services, like archives. Also, our current policy is to as much as
> possible *isolate* services using VM technology - this is especially
> important for such critical services.

Where is this policy written? And we have never applied that policy to
Linux hosts. Let's be consistent here please.

> Also, there appears to be exactly zero documentation about it, but I
> assume that's just a matter of time. Oh, and it appears that the apache
> configuration isn't in the automatic backup.

You know.. instead of complaining you simply could have added it
yourself and said, "BTW... this was overlooked".

> BTW, the docs also says that postgresqlconference.org is only supposed
> to be there temporarily during reprovisioning - is that still so, or
> should the documentation be fixed wrt that?

It is temporary. We are pushing a bunch of hardware around. It will be
moved after EAST.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Huh? What is this?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I know that this link is only available to people on the sysadmin team,
> but for reference:
> https://pmt.postgresql.org/changeset/478
>
> What is this? A site that has not been discussed at all (AFAIK - given
> that it seems to happen a lot lately, maybe I'm having email delivery
> issues?) suddenly appears in the configuration of a machine that is

Actually now that I look at it, I don't think my explanation was
accurate. IIRC archives2 was the alias I used when migrating archives to
community2.

But I could be wrong there too :P

> supposedly managed by the community? A system user is added to one of
> our servers that already does other things.

Community2 was never really pushed into the community infrastructure. It
is a community machine. There are other sites on there as well,
pgsqlrpms for example.

If we want to move those to a different machine and break the bottle on
community2 I am fine with that.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Huh? What is this?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Also, there appears to be exactly zero documentation about it, but I
> assume that's just a matter of time. Oh, and it appears that the apache
> configuration isn't in the automatic backup.

I just checked and you are incorrect. httpd.conf was in the automatic
backup:

[root@community2 auto-backup]# ls
addfile.sh  backup.sh  community2.commandprompt.com
[root@community2 auto-backup]# ./addfile.sh community2.commandprompt.com
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
Adding /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to
/auto-backup/community2.commandprompt.com/.config
Adding /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to SVN and committing
svn: warning: 'community2.commandprompt.com/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf'
is already under version control
Sending        community2.commandprompt.com/.config
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 483.

I also verified that it runs properly from cron:

Feb 23 19:30:01 community2 crond[32369]: (root) CMD
(/auto-backup/backup.sh community2.commandprompt.com)
Feb 23 20:30:01 community2 crond[17728]: (root) CMD
(/auto-backup/backup.sh community2.commandprompt.com)
Feb 23 21:30:01 community2 crond[3053]: (root) CMD
(/auto-backup/backup.sh community2.commandprompt.com)
Feb 23 22:30:01 community2 crond[20855]: (root) CMD
(/auto-backup/backup.sh community2.commandprompt.com)
Feb 23 23:30:01 community2 crond[6189]: (root) CMD
(/auto-backup/backup.sh community2.commandprompt.com)
Feb 24 00:30:01 community2 crond[23955]: (root) CMD
(/auto-backup/backup.sh community2.commandprompt.com)
Feb 24 01:30:02 community2 crond[10052]: (root) CMD
(/auto-backup/backup.sh community2.commandprompt.com)
Feb 24 02:30:01 community2 crond[27811]: (root) CMD
(/auto-backup/backup.sh community2.commandprompt.com)
Feb 24 03:30:01 community2 crond[17309]: (root) CMD
(/auto-backup/backup.sh community2.commandprompt.com)

So I am not sure what you were looking at?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Huh? What is this?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 07:57 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > I know that this link is only available to people on the sysadmin team,
> > but for reference:
> > https://pmt.postgresql.org/changeset/478
>

> > What is this? A site that has not been discussed at all (AFAIK - given
> > that it seems to happen a lot lately, maybe I'm having email delivery
>
> It was a test site for the scripts that we had from Marc.

Are we really talking about the same thing? What does the user
"pgsqldocs" have to do with the archives - is it misnamed? Assuming
those are the scripts you got from Marc - or are you talking about yet
another thing here?

> > We normally discuss things before we add new services to machines, don't
> > we? Especially when it's a box that shares data with some of our most
> > vital services, like archives. Also, our current policy is to as much as
> > possible *isolate* services using VM technology - this is especially
> > important for such critical services.
>
> Where is this policy written? And we have never applied that policy to
> Linux hosts. Let's be consistent here please.

I don't think it's written down, and you are very well aware of that.
But what you're basically saying is you want us to move all the stuff
off the linux boxes then, to be consistent?

(there's still the "as much as possible" part, but if we're willing to
modify stuff we already have out there, we could certainly make more
moves towards that)

And I hope you're not seriously questioning the policy of discussing
things before we do them?

> > Also, there appears to be exactly zero documentation about it, but I
> > assume that's just a matter of time. Oh, and it appears that the apache
> > configuration isn't in the automatic backup.
>
> You know.. instead of complaining you simply could have added it
> yourself and said, "BTW... this was overlooked".

I didn't install it, so I don't know *what* to put in there. The person
who installed it would know what's actually involved in it, and should
add those files.

I'm not saying I've never missed doing that myself, certainly, but I
think the only thing that makes sense is that whomever made the changes
need to document them, since others don't actually know what's involved.

> > BTW, the docs also says that postgresqlconference.org is only supposed
> > to be there temporarily during reprovisioning - is that still so, or
> > should the documentation be fixed wrt that?
> >

> It is temporary. We are pushing a bunch of hardware around. It will be
> moved after EAST.

Ok - just checking that the plans hadn't changed on that one.

//Magnus

Re: Huh? What is this?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 08:20 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > Also, there appears to be exactly zero documentation about it, but I
> > assume that's just a matter of time. Oh, and it appears that the apache
> > configuration isn't in the automatic backup.
>
> I just checked and you are incorrect. httpd.conf was in the automatic
> backup:

It could be that I was confused by the missing commit messages.

//Magnus

Re: Huh? What is this?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 07:57 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> I know that this link is only available to people on the sysadmin team,
>>> but for reference:
>>> https://pmt.postgresql.org/changeset/478
>>
>>> What is this? A site that has not been discussed at all (AFAIK - given
>>> that it seems to happen a lot lately, maybe I'm having email delivery
>> It was a test site for the scripts that we had from Marc.
>
> Are we really talking about the same thing? What does the user
> "pgsqldocs" have to do with the archives - is it misnamed? Assuming
> those are the scripts you got from Marc - or are you talking about yet
> another thing here?

I think we are. I thought you were talking about archives2.

pgsqldocs is www.postgresqldocs.org

>> Where is this policy written? And we have never applied that policy to
>> Linux hosts. Let's be consistent here please.
>
> I don't think it's written down, and you are very well aware of that.

Yes I am. Please fill in pmt with the appropriate policy.

> But what you're basically saying is you want us to move all the stuff
> off the linux boxes then, to be consistent?

Funny. I almost laughed at that one. My point was the VM policy has
never applied to Linux. We don't use VMs on linux (although I have never
been sure why).

> And I hope you're not seriously questioning the policy of discussing
> things before we do them?

No, I am not. I should have posted that we were going to add pgsqldocs.
That is my bad.

> I didn't install it, so I don't know *what* to put in there. The person
> who installed it would know what's actually involved in it, and should
> add those files.

I did it and if you see my other post you will see that I verified that
it was indeed already part of the system. So if there is still a problem
receiving the auto backups we need to look at that specifically.

> Ok - just checking that the plans hadn't changed on that one.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Huh? What is this?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 08:32 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:

> >> It was a test site for the scripts that we had from Marc.
> >
> > Are we really talking about the same thing? What does the user
> > "pgsqldocs" have to do with the archives - is it misnamed? Assuming
> > those are the scripts you got from Marc - or are you talking about yet
> > another thing here?
>
> I think we are. I thought you were talking about archives2.

We weren't.

> pgsqldocs is www.postgresqldocs.org

Ok. At the time I had zero clue what that was, but there have now been
emails on -www explaining what it is, so I now do know what itis.

> >> Where is this policy written? And we have never applied that policy to
> >> Linux hosts. Let's be consistent here please.
> >
> > I don't think it's written down, and you are very well aware of that.
>
> Yes I am. Please fill in pmt with the appropriate policy.

Not a bad idea at all :-) Let me see if I can sell Stefan on it, since
he's the guy who's actually set up most of the procedures around it. The
actual procedures are fairly well documented, but not the policies.
Stefan, any chance? ;-)

> > But what you're basically saying is you want us to move all the stuff
> > off the linux boxes then, to be consistent?
>
> Funny. I almost laughed at that one. My point was the VM policy has
> never applied to Linux. We don't use VMs on linux (although I have never
> been sure why).

(that was kind of the intention, as I'm sure you realised)
Yeah, the why *is* a very good question. Let's have a serious discussion
about that at some point on IM or in mail (but not on this thread). We
really should try to do something about the situation there.

> > And I hope you're not seriously questioning the policy of discussing
> > things before we do them?
> >

> No, I am not. I should have posted that we were going to add pgsqldocs.
> That is my bad.

Good we're in agreement there.

> > I didn't install it, so I don't know *what* to put in there. The person
> > who installed it would know what's actually involved in it, and should
> > add those files.
>
> I did it and if you see my other post you will see that I verified that
> it was indeed already part of the system. So if there is still a problem
> receiving the auto backups we need to look at that specifically.

Agreed. Let me (or someone else on sysadmins) know if you need any help
digging into it. If not, I'll just assume you're on top of it :-)

//Magnus

Re: Huh? What is this?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> We weren't.
>
>> pgsqldocs is www.postgresqldocs.org
>
> Ok. At the time I had zero clue what that was, but there have now been
> emails on -www explaining what it is, so I now do know what itis.

Just so it is publicly archived, as I said in private email this is not
a real user. At least not in the sense that a person can log in. I did
not provide any additional people shell rights or any such thing.

I created the user so the user would be responsible for the service is
provides. As the machine (community2) only allows key based auth, there
is no way to even get into that user directly.

>>> I don't think it's written down, and you are very well aware of that.
>> Yes I am. Please fill in pmt with the appropriate policy.
>
> Not a bad idea at all :-) Let me see if I can sell Stefan on it, since
> he's the guy who's actually set up most of the procedures around it. The
> actual procedures are fairly well documented, but not the policies.
> Stefan, any chance? ;-)

Bam! Hah... Stefan you are on deck.

> (that was kind of the intention, as I'm sure you realised)
> Yeah, the why *is* a very good question. Let's have a serious discussion
> about that at some point on IM or in mail (but not on this thread). We
> really should try to do something about the situation there.

Agreed.

>>> And I hope you're not seriously questioning the policy of discussing
>>> things before we do them?
>>>
>> No, I am not. I should have posted that we were going to add pgsqldocs.
>> That is my bad.
>
> Good we're in agreement there.

In fact I actually kind of wonder if we should have done this through
PMT, with tickets etc..

> Agreed. Let me (or someone else on sysadmins) know if you need any help
> digging into it. If not, I'll just assume you're on top of it :-)

I thought I saw Dave saying something about moderator blockage? Dave?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Huh? What is this?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>  pgsqldocs is www.postgresqldocs.org

Last I heard that box was one of the community managed ones, which
means any provisioning should have gone through the sysadmin team, not
to mention PMT. If I'm wrong about that, please let me know and I'll
start planning to migrate off there as we cannot effectively manage
services on systems we only partially have control over.

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company

Re: Huh? What is this?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:25 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>  I thought I saw Dave saying something about moderator blockage? Dave?

Yes, and it should now be fixed.

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company

Re: Huh? What is this?

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> We weren't.
>>
>>> pgsqldocs is www.postgresqldocs.org
>>
>> Ok. At the time I had zero clue what that was, but there have now been
>> emails on -www explaining what it is, so I now do know what itis.
>
> Just so it is publicly archived, as I said in private email this is not
> a real user. At least not in the sense that a person can log in. I did
> not provide any additional people shell rights or any such thing.
>
> I created the user so the user would be responsible for the service is
> provides. As the machine (community2) only allows key based auth, there
> is no way to even get into that user directly.

>>> Yes I am. Please fill in pmt with the appropriate policy.
>>
>> Not a bad idea at all :-) Let me see if I can sell Stefan on it, since
>> he's the guy who's actually set up most of the procedures around it. The
>> actual procedures are fairly well documented, but not the policies.
>> Stefan, any chance? ;-)
>
> Bam! Hah... Stefan you are on deck.

"wonderful" I love to volunteer for stuff like this!
Will see what I can come up with ...

Stefan