Обсуждение: PlanetPG on the home page

PlanetPG on the home page

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: PlanetPG on the home page

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 01:38:31AM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> I thought we were going to limit the front page planetpg postings
> to Postgres content only? Right now, my post about Perl module
> versions is on the front page, and while at least tangentially
> Postgres related, I purposefully did not give it a "Postgres"
> category. Of course, I'm not seeing the categories appear in the
> XML feed either. If this is not a quick fix, could we at least get
> a verbal reassurance from the planetpg posters to stick to
> Postgres subjects? I know they've been mostly on track, but
> I do recall some that were *completely* non-Postgres related.
> Actually, I'd rather not have any planetpg posting at all then see
> off-topic ones appear there.

The way to do that is to have PlanetPG pick a different feed from your
site. To get that done, email Devrim and tell him which category to pick
up - at least on people.planetpostgresql.org each category gets it's own
RSS feed.

The other option we have is to exclude a blog from
www.planetpostgresql.org on the website completely while leaving it on
the planet - let me know if you want us to do that for yours.

//Magnus

Re: PlanetPG on the home page

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: PlanetPG on the home page

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:

www.planetpg != people.planetpg. that's the important distinction.

> > The other option we have is to exclude a blog from
> > www.planetpostgresql.org on the website completely while leaving it on
> > the planet - let me know if you want us to do that for yours.
>
> No, but I think we should consider it for other people who have stated that
> they are using planetpg as their personal blog. I'm not naming names 'cause
> I don't remember exactly who said that. :)

This has already been done.

//Magnus

Re: PlanetPG on the home page

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 20 December 2006 04:48, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 01:38:31AM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > I thought we were going to limit the front page planetpg postings
> > to Postgres content only? Right now, my post about Perl module
> > versions is on the front page, and while at least tangentially
> > Postgres related, I purposefully did not give it a "Postgres"
> > category. Of course, I'm not seeing the categories appear in the
> > XML feed either. If this is not a quick fix, could we at least get
> > a verbal reassurance from the planetpg posters to stick to
> > Postgres subjects? I know they've been mostly on track, but
> > I do recall some that were *completely* non-Postgres related.
> > Actually, I'd rather not have any planetpg posting at all then see
> > off-topic ones appear there.
>
> The way to do that is to have PlanetPG pick a different feed from your
> site. To get that done, email Devrim and tell him which category to pick
> up - at least on people.planetpostgresql.org each category gets it's own
> RSS feed.

Another option is to switch to some smarter planet aggregation software. I've
looked at two solutions (one php based and one ruby based) and would be
willing to give one a real trial if people were interested.

--
Robert Treat

Re: PlanetPG on the home page

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 13:58 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> > The way to do that is to have PlanetPG pick a different feed from
> > your site. To get that done, email Devrim and tell him which
> > category to pick up - at least on people.planetpostgresql.org each
> > category gets it's own RSS feed.
>
> Another option is to switch to some smarter planet aggregation
> software.

Why this is another option? We can pick up any category we want with the
current sw.

>  I've looked at two solutions (one php based and one ruby based) and
> would be willing to give one a real trial if people were interested.

How do they differ from planetplanet code?

Re: PlanetPG on the home page

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thursday 21 December 2006 14:10, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 13:58 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> > > The way to do that is to have PlanetPG pick a different feed from
> > > your site. To get that done, email Devrim and tell him which
> > > category to pick up - at least on people.planetpostgresql.org each
> > > category gets it's own RSS feed.
> >
> > Another option is to switch to some smarter planet aggregation
> > software.
>
> Why this is another option? We can pick up any category we want with the
> current sw.

This assumes that the blogger will have postgresql specific feeds.  For
example, if I wanted to ditch my current feed split and switch to all tagged
entries, I'd have to make sure there was a feed for a specific tag (which I
dont think s9y does by default).

> >  I've looked at two solutions (one php based and one ruby based) and
> > would be willing to give one a real trial if people were interested.
>
> How do they differ from planetplanet code?

Basically they do some keyword searching and other magical algorithmic
searches for posts related to  your specified topic.

they are also wirtten in languages we all know (php) and love (ruby) (swap
those to taste) :-)

--
Robert Treat