Обсуждение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Am Montag, 24. Juli 2006 13:12 schrieb Thomas Hallgren:
>> A resolution to the problem would be to allow the core team to scale up.
>> More people are needed to support a more comprehensive set of features.
>> So why not create specialized teams that are part of the
>> core-development trust?
>
> I don't think trust or scaling or implementation languages are the real issue.
> It has been established that for a variety of reasons, smalls tools that can
> be combined work better than one big tool.  That is why the Linux kernel does
> not contain a windowing system.
>
> The issue you are facing is an issue of perception.  There are a number of
> ways to fix that, only one of which is including PL/Java into the PostgreSQL
> source distribution.  I was on the other side of the debate when we kicked
> out the JDBC driver, but today I think this was the best thing that could
> have happened, to both sides.  If you see any measures that we could take to
> make PL/Java look as good in the public eye as the JDBC driver -- certainly
> that is a reasonable comparison -- then I'm sure we can address them.

One thing that has been talked to death many times, but nobody ever seems
to come up with a solution to, is pgFoundry, and how badly it is
advertised / promoted ... so software packages over there seem relegated
to a sort of 'no mans land' ...

I was just thinking of it, and kinda surprised nobody else has ... why not
add a section to http://www.postgresql.org's main page for it?  We have
two sections now: Latest News and Upcoming Events ... why not add a third
one under that includes Latest News from pgFoundry?  that way, when a
release happens, or project is added, its very prominently displayed on
our main page?

----

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

> I was just thinking of it, and kinda surprised nobody else has ... why
> not add a section to http://www.postgresql.org's main page for it?  We
> have two sections now: Latest News and Upcoming Events ... why not add a
> third one under that includes Latest News from pgFoundry?  that way,
> when a release happens, or project is added, its very prominently
> displayed on our main page?

Honestly, until it carries a postgresql.org domain, ..... it will always
be a second class citizen except to those in the know.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >I was just thinking of it, and kinda surprised nobody else has ... why
> >not add a section to http://www.postgresql.org's main page for it?  We
> >have two sections now: Latest News and Upcoming Events ... why not add a
> >third one under that includes Latest News from pgFoundry?  that way,
> >when a release happens, or project is added, its very prominently
> >displayed on our main page?
>
> Honestly, until it carries a postgresql.org domain, ..... it will always
> be a second class citizen except to those in the know.

You mean like http://planetpostgresql.org?  I've been wondering a long
time why it isn't http://planet.postgresql.org/ like every other project
I know.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> I was just thinking of it, and kinda surprised nobody else has ... why
>>> not add a section to http://www.postgresql.org's main page for it?  We
>>> have two sections now: Latest News and Upcoming Events ... why not add a
>>> third one under that includes Latest News from pgFoundry?  that way,
>>> when a release happens, or project is added, its very prominently
>>> displayed on our main page?
>> Honestly, until it carries a postgresql.org domain, ..... it will always
>> be a second class citizen except to those in the know.
>
> You mean like http://planetpostgresql.org?  I've been wondering a long
> time why it isn't http://planet.postgresql.org/ like every other project
> I know.

Well that is a very good point, because I have always considered
planetpostgresql not a part of the PostgreSQL project. I hadn't even
considered that it is a postgresql project until just now.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I was just thinking of it, and kinda surprised nobody else has ... why not
>> add a section to http://www.postgresql.org's main page for it?  We have two
>> sections now: Latest News and Upcoming Events ... why not add a third one
>> under that includes Latest News from pgFoundry?  that way, when a release
>> happens, or project is added, its very prominently displayed on our main
>> page?
>
> Honestly, until it carries a postgresql.org domain, ..... it will always be a
> second class citizen except to those in the know.

'k, so point the links to projects.postgresql.org ... both works ...

----

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> Honestly, until it carries a postgresql.org domain, ..... it will always
>>> be a second class citizen except to those in the know.
>>
>> You mean like http://planetpostgresql.org?  I've been wondering a long
>> time why it isn't http://planet.postgresql.org/ like every other project
>> I know.
>>

> Well that is a very good point, because I have always considered
> planetpostgresql not a part of the PostgreSQL project. I hadn't even
> considered that it is a postgresql project until just now.

Just curious, but why does it have to be *.postgresql.org to be considered
official?  Isn't official what we make it ... ?  It should be prominently
linked *from* the main web site, but shouldn't *have* to be a subdomain of
... pgFoundry should have, I think, a more prominent link in the Weekly
News stuff ... we could also add the various web sites, individually, and
with short blurbs, to the mailing list tips ...

The thing is, everyone spends their time putting pgFoundry down as being
'second class' ... of course everyone else is going to consider it such
also ... it isn't second class, nor was it ever meant to be ... if ppl
promoted, pushed and advertised it more, it would be as 'second class' as
common to go to as CPAN is for Perl ...

----

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> Well that is a very good point, because I have always considered
>> planetpostgresql not a part of the PostgreSQL project. I hadn't even
>> considered that it is a postgresql project until just now.
>
> Just curious, but why does it have to be *.postgresql.org to be
> considered official?  Isn't official what we make it ... ?

Absolutely not (unfortunately). Official is what people "perceive" is
official.

For a case and point, go to http://www.ximian.com or http://www.suse.com
. You will note that they no longer exist and have been absorbed into
Novell.com.

The reason for this is to show an official integration, so that people
are comfortable with the respective brands because they are comfortable
with Novell.

The same applies for our sub projects, until they are recognized under
the official project domain name. They will always be considered third
party.

> The thing is, everyone spends their time putting pgFoundry down as being
> 'second class' ... of course everyone else is going to consider it such
> also ... it isn't second class, nor was it ever meant to be ... if ppl
> promoted, pushed and advertised it more, it would be as 'second class'
> as common to go to as CPAN is for Perl ...

Perhaps the fact that everyone is putting down pgFoundry as second class
is telling to the point that we need to promote it's perception? E.g;
get it under projects.postgresql.org where it really belongs.

And as Alvaro mentioned, the same should go for planet.postgresql.org .

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>>> I was just thinking of it, and kinda surprised nobody else has ...
>>> why not add a section to http://www.postgresql.org's main page for
>>> it?  We have two sections now: Latest News and Upcoming Events ...
>>> why not add a third one under that includes Latest News from
>>> pgFoundry?  that way, when a release happens, or project is added,
>>> its very prominently displayed on our main page?
>>
>> Honestly, until it carries a postgresql.org domain, ..... it will
>> always be a second class citizen except to those in the know.
>
> 'k, so point the links to projects.postgresql.org ... both works ...

It also needs to be the primary name on pgfoundry. It is all about
seamless integration.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> Honestly, until it carries a postgresql.org domain, ..... it will always
>>> be a second class citizen except to those in the know.
>>
>> 'k, so point the links to projects.postgresql.org ... both works ...
>
> It also needs to be the primary name on pgfoundry. It is all about seamless
> integration.

Odd, do you want to have a quick peak to see what I'm missing?
UseCanonicalName is turned Off, but if you go to projects.postgresql.org,
it is being redirected to pgfoundry.org, instead of serving up pages ...
might be something internal to gforge though ...

Be nice if both could work at the same time, so that all of the search
engines still finds everything :(

----

Planet PostgreSQL (Was: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?)

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 09:04 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> And as Alvaro mentioned, the same should go for
> planet.postgresql.org .

Why?

We offer blogging area to PostgreSQL people there. However we don't
control (that's our policy) what those people write to their blogs. What
if those people write something that is not acceptable for PostgreSQL?

This site is not a part of PostgreSQL project. At least it was not
designed so. That's what I thought when I got this domain 2 years ago.

Personally I'm against this, because I don't feel Planet as a part of
main PostgreSQL project...

... and I don't care for other planets, like kde, etc.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
You mean like PgFoundry?

On Jul 24, 2006, at 3:30 PM, Derek M. Rodner wrote:

> [...]
> Iselin, NJ  08830
> 732.331.1333
>

> Jussi Mikkola wrote:
>> I think there are some very good points in this, and in this
>> thread in general. Atleast worth a few thoughts.
>>
>> First about the different domains. Yes, it is very much like
>> different brands. And what is good or bad in it? Well, those
>> projects that are not under the PostgreSQL umbrella, are not that
>> official, and not consider part of the "package". But, on the
>> other hand, it could be beneficial for the main project, if the
>> "package" would contain things like PgAdmin, Slony etc. I believe,
>> that it would make the total package more "valuable" in business
>> terms.
>>
>> But, if those parts would be in the same package, then that would
>> mean more responsibility for the core. Someone would need to say
>> that this is beta, and this is ready. But that would be important
>> for the users, so it could be worth it. How it would be done, that
>> would require some talks between all those projects. But I can
>> see, that the current core could focus on the database itself, and
>> then there could be another organ that would look at all the
>> joining parts.
>>
>> When those projects are clearly separate, it also means that there
>> are a lot of brands. And if we want to promote all these projects,
>> it will require additional effort. So, instead of making one
>> strong brand, we kind of try to make one brand, and then we try to
>> promote also many other brands that are necessary for the one
>> brand. No focus.
>>
>> From the advocacy perspective I see joining projects under a
>> common umbrella as a very good idea. Of course, those other
>> projects should also see it beneficial, and it would probably
>> require a lot of work to make these projects more connected. But I
>> am quite sure, that it would at least make the advocacy part a lot
>> easier. There would be more to talk about, and the links would not
>> be pointed out to third party websites.
>>
>> Rgs,
>>
>> Jussi

>>> Absolutely not (unfortunately). Official is what people
>>> "perceive" is official.
>>>
>>> For a case and point, go to http://www.ximian.com or http://
>>> www.suse.com . You will note that they no longer exist and have
>>> been absorbed into Novell.com.
>>>
>>> The reason for this is to show an official integration, so that
>>> people are comfortable with the respective brands because they
>>> are comfortable with Novell.
>>>
>>> The same applies for our sub projects, until they are recognized
>>> under the official project domain name. They will always be
>>> considered third party.

>>> Perhaps the fact that everyone is putting down pgFoundry as
>>> second class is telling to the point that we need to promote it's
>>> perception? E.g; get it under projects.postgresql.org where it
>>> really belongs.
>>>
>>> And as Alvaro mentioned, the same should go for

Дата:

www.pgfoundry.org

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

От
"Derek M. Rodner"
Дата:

Jussi Mikkola wrote:
> [...]
>> comfortable with Novell.
>>
>> The same applies for our sub projects, until they are recognized
>> under the official project domain name. They will always be
>> considered third party.
>>
>>> The thing is, everyone spends their time putting pgFoundry down as
>>> being 'second class' ... of course everyone else is going to
>>> consider it such also ... it isn't second class, nor was it ever
>>> meant to be ... if ppl promoted, pushed and advertised it more, it
>>> would be as 'second class' as common to go to as CPAN is for Perl ...
>>
>> Perhaps the fact that everyone is putting down pgFoundry as second
>> class is telling to the point that we need to promote it's
>> perception? E.g; get it under projects.postgresql.org where it really
>> belongs.
>>
>> And as Alvaro mentioned, the same should go for planet.postgresql.org .

Jussi Mikkola
Дата:
[...]

 From the advocacy perspective I see joining projects under a common