Обсуждение: Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS

Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Hi Brent ...

   I'm CC'ng in the -www group of PostgreSQL, since you are asking
questions that will need to be pulled in from various sources ... and/or
are difficult to answer over all ...

   The one that I can try and answer is the Developer Team Size, which is a
# that is very hard to arrive at .. the 'clearly defined developers' are
all listed at:

       http://www.postgresql.org/developer/bios

   Of which we have >50 ... but, this doesn't include everyone and anyone
that has ever contributed a patch to the source tree ... our -hackers
mailing list, where most, if not all, of our talks about development take
place, there are over 1400 subscribers, so there are *alot* of ppl
lurking, or, if not lurking, providing periodic comments concerning
development ... not all of those are "coders" ...

----

Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

>    The one that I can try and answer is the Developer Team Size, which
> is a # that is very hard to arrive at .. the 'clearly defined
> developers' are all listed at:

I stick with Greg's estimate of "about 200" that he did for 7.4.  That
included:

core contributors
minor patch submitters
beta testers (the ones who submitted bug fixes)
key contributors to closely associated projects (like JDBC, ODBC, and
OpenFTS)

It was a lot of research on his part which is why I don't want to do it
again.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 01:20:19PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > The one that I can try and answer is the Developer Team Size,
> > which is a # that is very hard to arrive at .. the 'clearly
> > defined developers' are all listed at:
>
> I stick with Greg's estimate of "about 200" that he did for 7.4.  That
> included:
>
> core contributors
> minor patch submitters
> beta testers (the ones who submitted bug fixes)
> key contributors to closely associated projects (like JDBC, ODBC, and
> OpenFTS)
>
> It was a lot of research on his part which is why I don't want to do
> it again.

Also pertinent to such assessments is the Open Source Maturity Model
<http://www.seriouslyopen.org/nuke/html/index.php> which has some
interesting ways of measuring projects.  As you might guess,
PostgreSQL is right off the scale on every one of their metrics :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 28 June 2006 16:20, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> >    The one that I can try and answer is the Developer Team Size, which
> > is a # that is very hard to arrive at .. the 'clearly defined
> > developers' are all listed at:
>
> I stick with Greg's estimate of "about 200" that he did for 7.4.  That
> included:
>
> core contributors
> minor patch submitters
> beta testers (the ones who submitted bug fixes)
> key contributors to closely associated projects (like JDBC, ODBC, and
> OpenFTS)
>
> It was a lot of research on his part which is why I don't want to do it
> again.

I wonder if that number would need to be bumped up in a rather handwavy manner
(amybe +50) on the grounds of companies like enterprisedb, fujitsu,
greenplum, and sun, which I would guess have developers working behind the
scenes on issues thier companies care most about, which then get filtered up
through a few individuals to the community at large.  Additionally we also
have more "closely tied" projects like slony and npgsql to draw in more
people.  Thoughts?

--
Robert Treat

Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> I wonder if that number would need to be bumped up in a rather handwavy
> manner (amybe +50) on the grounds of companies like enterprisedb,
> fujitsu, greenplum, and sun, which I would guess have developers working
> behind the scenes on issues thier companies care most about, which then
> get filtered up through a few individuals to the community at large.
> Additionally we also have more "closely tied" projects like slony and
> npgsql to draw in more people.  Thoughts?

No, I think if we change the numbers, we need to do a full re-count.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS

От
"Guido Barosio"
Дата:
+1

What about something like (see below)  to get a first snapshot:

http://statcvs.sourceforge.net/

g.-

On 6/29/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > I wonder if that number would need to be bumped up in a rather handwavy
> > manner (amybe +50) on the grounds of companies like enterprisedb,
> > fujitsu, greenplum, and sun, which I would guess have developers working
> > behind the scenes on issues thier companies care most about, which then
> > get filtered up through a few individuals to the community at large.
> > Additionally we also have more "closely tied" projects like slony and
> > npgsql to draw in more people.  Thoughts?
>
> No, I think if we change the numbers, we need to do a full re-count.
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun