Обсуждение: [Fwd: techdocs GUI page]

[Fwd: techdocs GUI page]

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi all,

*THE ZOPE SERVER ON TECHDOCS IS SERVING 6 MONTH OLD CONTENT*

Has anyone had time to take a look at it?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: techdocs GUI page
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:33:21 -0500
From: John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com>
To: Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org>

Hi Justin,

Just wondering what is going on with the techdocs page. I recently
added some info about pgEdit and now it is gone. Was there something
incorrect about the way I did it or is it another problem?

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: [Fwd: techdocs GUI page]

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> Hi all,
>
> *THE ZOPE SERVER ON TECHDOCS IS SERVING 6 MONTH OLD CONTENT*
>
> Has anyone had time to take a look at it?

Ok. So I'm going to stick my neck out where I probably shouldn't, but
here goes.

Are there plans to move the techdocs stuff into the main site? If not,
why not? And if it's broken now, why not fix it by moving it in there?

IMHO, there are way too many different sites for ppl to use ATM. The
fact that they all look different is also not good, but the fact that
people won't find them is a lot worse.

//Magnus

Re: [Fwd: techdocs GUI page]

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>
>>*THE ZOPE SERVER ON TECHDOCS IS SERVING 6 MONTH OLD CONTENT*
>>
>>Has anyone had time to take a look at it?
>
> Ok. So I'm going to stick my neck out where I probably shouldn't, but
> here goes.
>
> Are there plans to move the techdocs stuff into the main site? If not,
> why not? And if it's broken now, why not fix it by moving it in there?

Hi Magnus,

Various plans have been kicked around, but no-one's had the required
time to do the work.

Something you'd have the time and inclination for?  :)

> IMHO, there are way too many different sites for ppl to use ATM. The
> fact that they all look different is also not good, but the fact that
> people won't find them is a lot worse.

Good point.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> //Magnus

Re: [Fwd: techdocs GUI page]

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Friday 18 February 2005 03:13, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> *THE ZOPE SERVER ON TECHDOCS IS SERVING 6 MONTH OLD CONTENT*
>
> Has anyone had time to take a look at it?

I took a brief look and as far as I can tell the zope instance is pointing to
the right files on the server so I don't really know what happened.  I'm
willing to investigate more if someone can suggest where I should be looking.

--
Robert Treat

Re: [Fwd: techdocs GUI page]

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Friday 18 February 2005 03:13, Justin Clift wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>*THE ZOPE SERVER ON TECHDOCS IS SERVING 6 MONTH OLD CONTENT*
>>
>>Has anyone had time to take a look at it?
>
> I took a brief look and as far as I can tell the zope instance is pointing to
> the right files on the server so I don't really know what happened.  I'm
> willing to investigate more if someone can suggest where I should be looking.

Ok, I've logged in and am looking at it now.

There are three separate installations of Zope on the server, under the
/usr/local/www directory.

Now trying to figure out which of them is the "correct" one, and so on...

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Re: [Fwd: techdocs GUI page]

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Justin Clift wrote:
<snip>
> There are three separate installations of Zope on the server, under the
> /usr/local/www directory.
>
> Now trying to figure out which of them is the "correct" one, and so on...

Ok.  It looks like what's happened (just a guess though) is that during
the latest moving of files between servers, somehow an 6 month old
"Data.fs" (the Zope data) has been copied over the newer one.

Marc, do we have backup(s) of the techdocs VM, from say, about 6 weeks
ago?  I think that's before the problem seems to have occured.

We'd need to restore the:

/usr/local/www/zope
/usr/local/www/Zope
/usr/local/www/techdocs.postgresql.org/zope

... directories somewhere, pull out the data files, see which one is the
correct version at that time then put it into place.  Then remove the
extra Zope installations to avoid future confusion. :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

Re: [Fwd: techdocs GUI page]

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Saturday 19 February 2005 19:19, Justin Clift wrote:
> Justin Clift wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > There are three separate installations of Zope on the server, under the
> > /usr/local/www directory.
> >
> > Now trying to figure out which of them is the "correct" one, and so on...
>
> Ok.  It looks like what's happened (just a guess though) is that during
> the latest moving of files between servers, somehow an 6 month old
> "Data.fs" (the Zope data) has been copied over the newer one.
>
> Marc, do we have backup(s) of the techdocs VM, from say, about 6 weeks
> ago?  I think that's before the problem seems to have occured.
>
> We'd need to restore the:
>
> /usr/local/www/zope
> /usr/local/www/Zope
> /usr/local/www/techdocs.postgresql.org/zope
>
> ... directories somewhere, pull out the data files, see which one is the
> correct version at that time then put it into place.  Then remove the
> extra Zope installations to avoid future confusion. :)

the last time we went round on this we set
up /usr/local/www/techdocs.postgresql.org/zope as the official install, and
if you look you'll see that is the instance being pointed too right now (at
least as far as I can tell).  I wonder though, a few weeks back didn't Marc
or Dave shut off the zope server by accident? Maybe something went awry at
that time?

--
Robert Treat

Re: [Fwd: techdocs GUI page]

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
<snip>
 > the last time we went round on this we set
 > up /usr/local/www/techdocs.postgresql.org/zope as the official
install, and
 > if you look you'll see that is the instance being pointed too right
now (at
 > least as far as I can tell).

Yep, that's the one with the most recent data set in it.  It also had a
(much larger in size) backup data set in there, however that was older
again.

 > I wonder though, a few weeks back didn't Marc
 > or Dave shut off the zope server by accident? Maybe something went
awry at
 > that time?

No idea.  We're definitely missing about 6 months worth of new and
updated pages though.  :(

Backups... ?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift