Обсуждение: banner abominations

banner abominations

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Hi!

Looks like we may get professional design for a new version of website, so I'd
like to raise the question about *the* most ugly thing on current one: banners.

1) Do we need these?
2) Do we need them in such a prominent place?

I think that the banner that now serves for open-source projects' promotion
should be replaced by some "Featured project" section, having a description and
a link to the project. This will IMHO work a *lot* better than current home-made
banners.

The mirror hosters' ads should be displayed on respective mirrors, just as this
is done f.e. on http://www.php.net/

The only problem is the sponsors' banners. Does anybody actually buy these, BTW?

Re: banner abominations

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Looks like we may get professional design for a new version of website, so I'd
> like to raise the question about *the* most ugly thing on current one: banners.
>
> 1) Do we need these?

yes

> 2) Do we need them in such a prominent place?

yes

----

Re: banner abominations

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Hi!

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>Looks like we may get professional design for a new version of website, so I'd
>>like to raise the question about *the* most ugly thing on current one: banners.
>>
>>1) Do we need these?
>
> yes
>
>>2) Do we need them in such a prominent place?
>
> yes

The obvious question: why? Do we just like that antique 90s look or are there
other reasons?

Re: banner abominations

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, 21. April 2004 09:12 schrieb Alexey Borzov:
> The obvious question: why? Do we just like that antique 90s look or are
> there other reasons?

It's not like we're hauling in mad cash that way either.  I think there are
better ways to acknowledge mirror providers and promote other open-source
projects.  The commercial advertisements just have an unethical feeling about
it unless there is some public accounting.