Обсуждение: how plsql work on postgresql

how plsql work on postgresql

От
Selina Tech
Дата:
Hi, All

         I just start to learn plsql and plpgsql. There are a lot of comparison of pl/sql and pl/pgsql available online. I am wondering why plsql work well on Postgresql and how it work? Is the code converted to plpgsql code?
           If use postgresql database server, which one is better between plsql and pl/pgsql?

Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Selina

Re: how plsql work on postgresql

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 03/29/2016 03:57 PM, Selina Tech wrote:
> Hi, All
>
>           I just start to learn plsql and plpgsql. There are a lot of
> comparison of pl/sql and pl/pgsql available online. I am wondering why
> plsql work well on Postgresql and how it work? Is the code converted to
> plpgsql code?
>             If use postgresql database server, which one is better
> between plsql and pl/pgsql?

I find myself using pl/pgsql more then plsql(assuming you mean
this(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/xfunc-sql.html))
just because pl/pgsql offers more ways to manipulate data. FYI, there
are languages available e.g. pl/pythonu, pl/perl, pl/tcl. pl/java, etc.

Some resources:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/plpgsql-porting.html

http://ora2pg.darold.net/documentation.html#plsql_to_plpsql_convertion

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: how plsql work on postgresql

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
         I just start to learn plsql and plpgsql. There are a lot of comparison of pl/sql and pl/pgsql available online. I am wondering why plsql work well on Postgresql and how it work? Is the code converted to plpgsql code?
           If use postgresql database server, which one is better between plsql and pl/pgsql?

Your feedback is highly appreciated.

​It isn't "plsql", just "SQL" - but I might be losing something in the translation.  "pl/sql" is an Oracle thing that is indeed like "pl/pgsql" - but "pl/sql" does not directly work, let alone well, on PostgreSQL...

Anyway, writing a function in "LANGUAGE sql" means you are limited to only those things SQL can do.  Using pl/pgsql gives you access to the power of procedural logic among other things.

There is no "better" - but the general rule is if it can be done using SQL then do so since you are likely to see better performance.  When you need to do something SQL cannot do then consider pl/pgsql.

David J.

Re: how plsql work on postgresql

От
Michael Moore

[...]

Like David has said, it is not clear what you are talking about.
  • PL/SQL runs only on an Oracle DB
  • SQL - there is a Postgres version for Postgres and an Oracle version for Oracle
  • SPL - This is a language that is added on to Postgres and it is intended to be as much like Oracle PL/SQL as is possible. It allows people to migrate from Oracle to Postgres with minimal changes to code.
  • PL/PGSQL this is Postgres only. It is kind of like PL/SQL but also very different. I prefer this over SPL because, IMO, it performs better.

Re: how plsql work on postgresql

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Michael Moore schrieb am 30.03.2016 um 17:23:
> Like David has said, it is not clear what you are talking about.
>
>   * PL/SQL runs only on an Oracle DB
>   * SQL - there is a Postgres version for Postgres and an Oracle version for Oracle
>   * SPL - This is a language that is added on to Postgres and it is intended to be as much like Oracle PL/SQL as is
possible.

>     It allows people to migrate from Oracle to Postgres with minimal changes to code.
>   * PL/PGSQL this is Postgres only. It is kind of like PL/SQL but also very different. I prefer this over SPL
because,IMO, it performs better.

I have never heard of SPL. Is that a separate module? Where is that available?

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 8:37 AM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
Michael Moore schrieb am 30.03.2016 um 17:23:
> Like David has said, it is not clear what you are talking about.
>
>   * PL/SQL runs only on an Oracle DB
>   * SQL - there is a Postgres version for Postgres and an Oracle version for Oracle
>   * SPL - This is a language that is added on to Postgres and it is intended to be as much like Oracle PL/SQL as is possible.
>     It allows people to migrate from Oracle to Postgres with minimal changes to code.
>   * PL/PGSQL this is Postgres only. It is kind of like PL/SQL but also very different. I prefer this over SPL because, IMO, it performs better.

I have never heard of SPL. Is that a separate module? Where is that available?

Thomas,
It is the language that EnterpriseDB uses. The EnterpriseDB web site appears to be down but here is another link to some information:
http://www.praetoriate.com/t_edb_block_structure.htm

Re: how plsql work on postgresql

От
Selina Tech
Дата:
Hi, All:
     I tried to ask why "LANGUAGE sql" work on postgresql.   Thanks for your reply. Those answer are very helpful.

Sincerely,
Selina