Обсуждение: Max column number.

Max column number.

От
Miguel Angel Conte
Дата:
Hi,

I'm using postgresql 9 and I'd like to know if there is a way to "ask"  if when I'm going to add a column, I'm exceeding the max number of columns. I've found that the max number of columns is 1600 and It's depends of the data types.
I've made a test adding 1600 columns using different data types and I didn't have any problem. The problem was when I tried to insert data.

ERROR: row is too big: size 8168, maximum size 8160

I know that the row limit size is 8k by default, but I need a way to prevent this exception.

For example, my table have 600 columns and I insert a row with values for each column and the row size is 8000. So, in this case  If I want to prevent errors, I can't add more columns, but to do that I need to know about this limit situation.
Something like:
"If I'm not going to exceed the size limit, then  I can add a new column"

Thanks in advance,
Miguel.

Re: Max column number.

От
Reinoud van Leeuwen
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 02:48:26PM -0300, Miguel Angel Conte wrote:

> Something like:
> "If I'm not going to exceed the size limit, then  I can add a new column"

You want to add columns in your application? Are you sure you have the
right datamodel?

Reinoud
"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen    reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net
http://reinoud.van.leeuwen.net kvk 27320762

Re: Max column number.

От
Miguel Angel Conte
Дата:
Unfortunately It's an inherited data model and I can't make any change for now...
Thanks for your answer!

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Reinoud van Leeuwen <reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 02:48:26PM -0300, Miguel Angel Conte wrote:

> Something like:
> "If I'm not going to exceed the size limit, then  I can add a new column"

You want to add columns in your application? Are you sure you have the
right datamodel?

Reinoud

Re: Max column number.

От
"ktm@rice.edu"
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 03:08:36PM -0300, Miguel Angel Conte wrote:
> Unfortunately It's an inherited data model and I can't make any change for
> now...
> Thanks for your answer!
>
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Reinoud van Leeuwen <
> reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 02:48:26PM -0300, Miguel Angel Conte wrote:
> >
> > > Something like:
> > > "If I'm not going to exceed the size limit, then  I can add a new column"
> >
> > You want to add columns in your application? Are you sure you have the
> > right datamodel?
> >
> > Reinoud
> > --
Hi Reinoud,

I think you will need to write a function to grovel around in the database
to determine what the size of the row would be given a definition. Tedious
but straight-forward.

Regards,
Ken

Re: Max column number.

От
Miguel Angel Conte
Дата:
Hi Ken,

Do you know a good way to get the max row size in a table?
Or maybe I'll have to get this information from the metadata....

thanks!

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:11 PM, ktm@rice.edu <ktm@rice.edu> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 03:08:36PM -0300, Miguel Angel Conte wrote:
> Unfortunately It's an inherited data model and I can't make any change for
> now...
> Thanks for your answer!
>
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Reinoud van Leeuwen <
> reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 02:48:26PM -0300, Miguel Angel Conte wrote:
> >
> > > Something like:
> > > "If I'm not going to exceed the size limit, then  I can add a new column"
> >
> > You want to add columns in your application? Are you sure you have the
> > right datamodel?
> >
> > Reinoud
> > --
Hi Reinoud,

I think you will need to write a function to grovel around in the database
to determine what the size of the row would be given a definition. Tedious
but straight-forward.

Regards,
Ken

Re: Max column number.

От
Viktor Bojović
Дата:
Hi Miguel,
maybe you can split table to two tables with one-to-one connection.
The another way is to create dynamic-attribute-tables which means to store data in columns, not in rows.

[...]

---------------------------------------
Viktor Bojović
---------------------------------------
Wherever I go, Murphy goes with me

Re: Max column number.

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Miguel Angel Conte <diafano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately It's an inherited data model and I can't make any change for
> now...
> Thanks for your answer!

when you can change it, look at hstore

Re: Max column number.

От
Reinoud van Leeuwen
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 03:08:36PM -0300, Miguel Angel Conte wrote:
> Unfortunately It's an inherited data model and I can't make any change for
> now...

but by adding columns you *are* making changes to it...

Reinoud
"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen    reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net
http://reinoud.van.leeuwen.net kvk 27320762

Re: Max column number.

От
Miguel Angel Conte
Дата:
Yes, sure. I mean, I can't change the whole process which creates columns dynamically.

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Reinoud van Leeuwen <reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 03:08:36PM -0300, Miguel Angel Conte wrote:
> Unfortunately It's an inherited data model and I can't make any change for
> now...

but by adding columns you *are* making changes to it...

Reinoud

Re: Max column number.

От
Kevin Crain
Дата:
This is an unfortunate situation, you shouldn't be required to do
this, the people generating your requirements need to be more
informed.  I would make damn sure you notify the stakeholders in this
project that the data model is screwed and needs a redesign.  I agree
that you should split this table and do a join if you have no option
of redesigning this.

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Miguel Angel Conte <diafano@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, sure. I mean, I can't change the whole process which creates columns
>> dynamically.
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Reinoud van Leeuwen
>> <reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net> wrote:

>>> but by adding columns you *are* making changes to it...
>>>
>>> Reinoud
>>> --

Re: Max column number.

От
Kevin Crain
Дата:
I still can't imagine why you'd ever need this...could you explain
what this does? I'm just curious now....

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Kevin Crain <kevin.crain1@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an unfortunate situation, you shouldn't be required to do
> this, the people generating your requirements need to be more
> informed.  I would make damn sure you notify the stakeholders in this
> project that the data model is screwed and needs a redesign.  I agree
> that you should split this table and do a join if you have no option
> of redesigning this.
>
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Miguel Angel Conte <diafano@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, sure. I mean, I can't change the whole process which creates columns
>> dynamically.
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Reinoud van Leeuwen
>> <reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net> wrote:

>>> but by adding columns you *are* making changes to it...
>>>
>>> Reinoud
>>> --

Re: Max column number.

От
Miguel Angel Conte
Дата:
Hi,

Thanks for your interest. This app load scv files which change every day (sometimes the columns too). The sizes of these files are in avg 15MB. So, We load something like 100MB each day. We tried to find a better solution but we couldn't, becouse one of the our requirement is not to use a lot of space. Also, the app is used to consult these information, and for our particular type of select's queries, we get the best performance if the information is all into a same row.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Kevin Crain <kevin.crain1@gmail.com> wrote:
I still can't imagine why you'd ever need this...could you explain
what this does? I'm just curious now....

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Kevin Crain <kevin.crain1@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an unfortunate situation, you shouldn't be required to do
> this, the people generating your requirements need to be more
> informed.  I would make damn sure you notify the stakeholders in this
> project that the data model is screwed and needs a redesign.  I agree
> that you should split this table and do a join if you have no option
> of redesigning this.
>
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Miguel Angel Conte <diafano@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, sure. I mean, I can't change the whole process which creates columns
>> dynamically.
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Reinoud van Leeuwen
>> <reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net> wrote:

>>> but by adding columns you *are* making changes to it...
>>>
>>> Reinoud
>>> --

Re: Max column number.

От
Reinoud van Leeuwen
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 12:45:45PM -0300, Miguel Angel Conte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your interest. This app load scv files which change every day
> (sometimes the columns too). The sizes of these files are in avg 15MB. So,
> We load something like 100MB each day. We tried to find a better solution
> but we couldn't, becouse one of the our requirement is not to use a lot of
> space. Also, the app is used to consult these information, and for our
> particular type of select's queries, we get the best performance if the
> information is all into a same row.

Still, you could normalize the data in a better way, and present it to
users or an application with views or stored procedures...

Reinoud

"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen    reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net
http://reinoud.van.leeuwen.net kvk 27320762

Re: Max column number.

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Miguel Angel Conte <diafano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your interest. This app load scv files which change every day
> (sometimes the columns too). The sizes of these files are in avg 15MB. So,
> We load something like 100MB each day. We tried to find a better solution
> but we couldn't, becouse one of the our requirement is not to use a lot of
> space. Also, the app is used to consult these information, and for our
> particular type of select's queries, we get the best performance if the
> information is all into a same row.

This definitely sounds like a job for something like hstore.

Also, can you drop and recreate the table every so often?  That would
certainly help.

Re: Max column number.

От
Miguel Angel Conte

I can't drop the table. I have to add as many columns as posible and when I exceed the limit I have to create another table.

I've tried normalizing but then the join's cost is too big. I always need to use all columns, so getting a all information into a single row it's the most efficient solution.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Miguel Angel Conte <diafano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your interest. This app load scv files which change every day
> (sometimes the columns too). The sizes of these files are in avg 15MB. So,
> We load something like 100MB each day. We tried to find a better solution
> but we couldn't, becouse one of the our requirement is not to use a lot of
> space. Also, the app is used to consult these information, and for our
> particular type of select's queries, we get the best performance if the
> information is all into a same row.

This definitely sounds like a job for something like hstore.

Also, can you drop and recreate the table every so often?  That would
certainly help.

Re: Max column number.

От
Kevin Crain
Дата:
How are you determining the data types for these columns?

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Miguel Angel Conte <diafano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your interest. This app load scv files which change every day
> (sometimes the columns too). The sizes of these files are in avg 15MB. So,
> We load something like 100MB each day. We tried to find a better solution
> but we couldn't, becouse one of the our requirement is not to use a lot of
> space. Also, the app is used to consult these information, and for our
> particular type of select's queries, we get the best performance if the
> information is all into a same row.
>
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Kevin Crain <kevin.crain1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I still can't imagine why you'd ever need this...could you explain
>> what this does? I'm just curious now....
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Kevin Crain <kevin.crain1@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > This is an unfortunate situation, you shouldn't be required to do
>> > this, the people generating your requirements need to be more
>> > informed.  I would make damn sure you notify the stakeholders in this
>> > project that the data model is screwed and needs a redesign.  I agree
>> > that you should split this table and do a join if you have no option
>> > of redesigning this.

Re: Max column number.

От
Miguel Angel Conte
Дата:
I have the metadata in the same csv.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Kevin Crain <kevin.crain1@gmail.com> wrote:
How are you determining the data types for these columns?

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Miguel Angel Conte <diafano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your interest. This app load scv files which change every day
> (sometimes the columns too). The sizes of these files are in avg 15MB. So,
> We load something like 100MB each day. We tried to find a better solution
> but we couldn't, becouse one of the our requirement is not to use a lot of
> space. Also, the app is used to consult these information, and for our
> particular type of select's queries, we get the best performance if the
> information is all into a same row.
>
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Kevin Crain <kevin.crain1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I still can't imagine why you'd ever need this...could you explain
>> what this does? I'm just curious now....
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Kevin Crain <kevin.crain1@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > This is an unfortunate situation, you shouldn't be required to do
>> > this, the people generating your requirements need to be more
>> > informed.  I would make damn sure you notify the stakeholders in this
>> > project that the data model is screwed and needs a redesign.  I agree
>> > that you should split this table and do a join if you have no option
>> > of redesigning this.

Re: Max column number.

От
Kevin Crain
Дата:
Is there any room for improvement in the data types?

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Miguel Angel Conte <diafano@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the metadata in the same csv.
>
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Kevin Crain <kevin.crain1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> How are you determining the data types for these columns?
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Miguel Angel Conte <diafano@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > Thanks for your interest. This app load scv files which change every day
>> > (sometimes the columns too). The sizes of these files are in avg 15MB.
>> > So,
>> > We load something like 100MB each day. We tried to find a better
>> > solution
>> > but we couldn't, becouse one of the our requirement is not to use a lot
>> > of
>> > space. Also, the app is used to consult these information, and for our
>> > particular type of select's queries, we get the best performance if the
>> > information is all into a same row.

Re: Max column number.

От
Kevin Crain