Обсуждение: .psql_history": No such file

.psql_history": No such file

От
ivan marchesini
Дата:
Dear users,

I have installed a postgres db using a datadir different
from /var/lib/pgsql/.psql_history.

then:  su postgres  psql postgres

All went fine but when I exit from psql from a db I obtain:
_______
could not save history to file "/var/lib/pgsql/.psql_history": No such
file or directory
_______

how can I fix this problem? where can I say psql that it must
write .psql_history into the datadir?

many thanks...
ivan

Re: .psql_history": No such file

Дата:
ivan marchesini <marchesini@unipg.it> writes:
> I have installed a postgres db using a datadir different
> from /var/lib/pgsql/.psql_history.

> then:
>    su postgres
>    psql postgres

> All went fine but when I exit from psql from a db I obtain:
> _______
> could not save history to file "/var/lib/pgsql/.psql_history": No such
> file or directory
> _______

Apparently the postgres account still has HOME set to /var/lib/pgsql.
You'll want to make that point to some directory that actually exists.
        regards, tom lane

Re: .psql_history": No such file

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Hi Ivan,

Le vendredi 26 juin 2009 à 17:53:15, ivan marchesini a écrit :
> [...]
> I have installed a postgres db using a datadir different
> from /var/lib/pgsql/.psql_history.
>
> then:
>    su postgres
>    psql postgres
>
> All went fine but when I exit from psql from a db I obtain:
> _______
> could not save history to file "/var/lib/pgsql/.psql_history": No such
> file or directory
> _______
>
> how can I fix this problem? where can I say psql that it must
> write .psql_history into the datadir?

psql tries to write there because the home directory of the postgres user is
/var/lib/postgres. Probably better to use HISTFILE to change it (\set HISTFILE
'/path/to/histfile').

Regards.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: .psql_history": No such file

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> Le vendredi 26 juin 2009 à 17:53:15, ivan marchesini a écrit :
>> [...]
>> I have installed a postgres db using a datadir different
>> from /var/lib/pgsql/.psql_history.
>>
>> then:
>>    su postgres
>>    psql postgres
>>
>> All went fine but when I exit from psql from a db I obtain:
>> _______
>> could not save history to file "/var/lib/pgsql/.psql_history": No such
>> file or directory
>> _______
>>
>> how can I fix this problem? where can I say psql that it must
>> write .psql_history into the datadir?
>>

> psql tries to write there because the home directory of the postgres user is
> /var/lib/postgres. Probably better to use HISTFILE to change it (\set HISTFILE
> '/path/to/histfile').
>
> Regards.

You do know that you don't need to su postgres to start psql?

Only the server needs to be run with the postgres user account. If you
run psql from your normal user account the history file will be saved
into your home folder not the postgresql install/data file dir.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Re: .psql_history": No such file

От
ivan marchesini
Дата:
Thanks to all...
in effect it is a very little problem if you consider that probably I
will call psql from normal accounts...

:-)

thanks