Обсуждение: trigger before delete question

trigger before delete question

От
Sigrid Thijs
Дата:
Hello,<br /><br />I've bumped into a problem with a trigger before delete that I do not immediately understand. I have
madea simple example that also illustrates the issue, but in reality the database structure is more complex.<br /><br
nullprimary key,<br />   member_name         text not null,<br />  club_id             integer not null references
integerreferences member(member_id) on delete set null on update cascade;<br /><br />create or replace function
eachrow execute procedure club_trigger_0();<br /><br />It consists of a table club, which can have members assigned to
it.A club can also (but doesn't need to) have a contact<br />member. When it does, this is set in the contact_member_id
fieldof the club.<br />Now when I want to delete a club, all the members also have to be deleted. I know this can be
achievedwith the 'on delete cascade', but I have a more complex situation where some data needs to be deleted from
othertables before a member is deleted, and some data after a member has been deleted. That's why a separate trigger is
writtento perform some operations before a row is deleted from the club table.<br /><br />Now, when I want to delete a
club,and the contact_member_id field is null for that row, the delete goes fine.<br />You can try this with the
forthe new club<br />insert into member (member_name, club_id) values('member1', (select currval
value,all the operations in the trigger functions are performed correctly, but the delete of the row itself is not
values('club2');<br/>-- create a new member for the new club<br />insert into member (member_name, club_id)
values('member2',(select currval ('club_club_id_seq')));<br /> -- make the new member the contact member of the club<br
/>updateclub set contact_member_id = (select currval('member_member_id_seq')) from member;<br /><br />-- delete the
clubwith all it's members<br />delete from club where club_id = (select currval ('club_club_id_seq'));<br /> select *
fromclub;<br /><br />The last select statement will still return the row that should be deleted, with the only
differencethat the<br />contact_member_id is set to null.<br />Is this what I should expect from plpgsql? If the
subjectto be deleted has been modified during the before trigger, the delete operation will not be executed? Is there a

Re: trigger before delete question

Дата:
Sigrid Thijs <sigrid.thijs@gmail.com> writes:
> I've bumped into a problem with a trigger before delete that I do not
> immediately understand. I have made a simple example that also illustrates
> the issue, but in reality the database structure is more complex.

The reason it doesn't work is that the delete from member cascades back
to update the club row (ie, set contact_member_id to null) and so by the
time the original delete is attempted the row version it's against is
already obsolete.  That results in nothing happening, not in re-issuing
the delete against the updated row version.

Personally I'd recommend rethinking this unholy mix of recursive foreign
keys and bad manual substitutes for foreign keys.  However, if you can't
come up with a less bogus schema design, you might find that it helps to
propagate information to derived rows in AFTER triggers rather than
BEFORE triggers.
        regards, tom lane