Обсуждение: wired behaviour

wired behaviour

От
Lutz Steinborn
Дата:
Hello,

I have an problem understanding a simple query:

For example I have the following:
select count(*) from foo;
gives me 1000

select count(*) from foo where bar = 'Mr Spock';
gives me 5

select count(*) from foo where NOT bar = 'Mr Spock';
gives me 857

Why I'm not getting 955 for the last query ?

Any idea ?

Kindly regards

Lutz

Re: wired behaviour

От
"Paul Dam"
Дата:
NULL values?

Met vriendelijke groet,
Paul Dam
Informatieanalist

Amyyon
Bijsterhuizen 11.58
6546 AS Nijmegen
050 - 311 5686
www.amyyon.nl
I have an problem understanding a simple query:

For example I have the following:
select count(*) from foo;
gives me 1000

select count(*) from foo where bar = 'Mr Spock';
gives me 5

select count(*) from foo where NOT bar = 'Mr Spock';
gives me 857

Why I'm not getting 955 for the last query ?

Any idea ?

Kindly regards

Lutz

Re: wired behaviour

От
ries van Twisk
Дата:
On Nov 28, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Lutz Steinborn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an problem understanding a simple query:
>
> For example I have the following:
> select count(*) from foo;
> gives me 1000
>
> select count(*) from foo where bar = 'Mr Spock';
> gives me 5
>
> select count(*) from foo where NOT bar = 'Mr Spock';
> gives me 857
>
> Why I'm not getting 955 for the last query ?
>

> Any idea ?

Do you happen to have any NULL values on the field bar??

Ries

Re: wired behaviour

От
Lutz Steinborn
Дата:
Hello Paul,

thanks for the quick answer.

> NULL values?
Jepp, thats it.
I've supposed this but can't believe it. So NULL is something out of this
dimension :-)

Kindly regards
Lutz

> Met vriendelijke groet,
>
> Paul Dam
> Informatieanalist
>

> Amyyon
> Bijsterhuizen 11.58
> 6546 AS Nijmegen
> 050 - 311 5686
> www.amyyon.nl

Lutz Steinborn
4c Business Service GmbH
Putzbrunner Str. 71
81739 M_nchen

Fon: +49 89 99341 30, Fax +49 89 99341 399
l.steinborn@4c-ag.de, http://www.4c-shopping.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Putzbrunner Str. 71, 81739 Muenchen
Vertretungsberechtigter Geschaeftsfuehrer: Frank W. Lutze
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen
Registernummer: HR 130 207
Ustnr. gemaess _ 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 206 864 106

Re: wired behaviour

От
Ragnar Hafstað
Дата:
On fös, 2008-11-28 at 15:22 +0100, Lutz Steinborn wrote:
> Hello Paul,
>
> thanks for the quick answer.
>
> > NULL values?
> Jepp, thats it.
> I've supposed this but can't believe it. So NULL is something out of this
> dimension :-)

Yes, that is one way of putting it.

A more useful way to look at it is to say that NULL represents an
UNKNOWN value.

rows with NULL bar value will not be counted by:
> > select count(*) from foo where bar = 'Mr Spock';

because you cannot know whether the UNKNOWN value is 'Mr Spock'.

these rows will neither be counted by:
> > select count(*) from foo where NOT bar = 'Mr Spock';

because you also cannot know that the UNKNOWN value is NOT 'Mr Spock'.

Does that make it any clearer?

gnari

Re: wired behaviour

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
Lutz Steinborn wrote:
> Hello Paul,
>
> thanks for the quick answer.
>
>> NULL values?
> Jepp, thats it.
> I've supposed this but can't believe it. So NULL is something out of this
> dimension :-)
>
> Kindly regards
> Lutz

NULL refers to an unknown value - it cannot be said to equal or not
equal anything other than NULL

It is a concept that catches those new to databases (and sometimes not
so new).

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: wired behaviour

От
Lennin Caro

> I have an problem understanding a simple query:
>
> For example I have the following:
> select count(*) from foo;
> gives me 1000
>
> select count(*) from foo where bar = 'Mr Spock';
> gives me 5
>
> select count(*) from foo where NOT bar = 'Mr
> Spock';
> gives me 857
>
> Why I'm not getting 955 for the last query ?
>

> Any idea ?
>
> Kindly regards
>

> Lutz
>
> --

Probably you have null values in bar column

Re: wired behaviour

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
Shane Ambler wrote:
> Lutz Steinborn wrote:
>> Jepp, thats it.
>> I've supposed this but can't believe it. So NULL is something out of
>> this
>> dimension :-)
>>

> NULL refers to an unknown value - it cannot be said to equal or not
> equal anything other than NULL ...

Not exactly. Null does not equal null. The "translation" being does
some-unknown-value equal some-unknown-value? Answer: unknown.
If you want to determine if something is null you must use "is null".

select null = null;
null

select null is null;
true

If you want to treat nulls as a defined known value, use the coalesce
function:
select coalesce(my_column, 'a null value')....;
will return the string 'a null value' whenever my_column is null.

Cheers,
Steve