Обсуждение: SQL question....

SQL question....

От
Karl Denninger
Дата:
.... assuming the following schema:

create table access (name text, address ip)

I want to construct a SELECT statement which will return ONLY tuples
containing IP and name pairs IF there is an IP that has two or more
NAMEs associated with it.

I've not figured out how to do this; I can get a list of all IPs and
names ordered by IP, which I could then parse with a different program
(e.g. "Select name, address from access order by address"), but the idea
of course is to do it with one SELECT statement and return only rows
that have multiple names listed for a given IP.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)
http://www.denninger.net

Re: SQL question....

От
chester c young
Дата:
> create table access (name text, address ip)
>
> I want to construct a SELECT statement which will return ONLY tuples
> containing IP and name pairs IF there is an IP that has two or more
> NAMEs associated with it.

many ways:

select a1.* from access a1 where exists(   select 1 from access a2 where a2.name=a2.name and a1.ip!=a2.ip );

select a1.*
from    access a1
join    access a2 using( name )
where   a1.ip != a2.ip;

Re: SQL question....

От
Karl Denninger
Дата:
chester c young wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:624694.72418.qm@web54303.mail.re2.yahoo.com" type="cite"><blockquote
type="cite"><prewrap="">create table access (name text, address ip)

I want to construct a SELECT statement which will return ONLY tuples
containing IP and name pairs IF there is an IP that has two or more
NAMEs associated with it.

many ways:

select a1.* from access a1 where exists(   select 1 from access a2 where a2.name=a2.name and a1.ip!=a2.ip );

select a1.*
from    access a1
join    access a2 using( name )
where   a1.ip != a2.ip;
 </pre></blockquote> Those will return single entries as well (which is easy to do with an "ORDER BY", that is
computationallysimpler)<br /><br /> What I want (and can't figure out) is a SELECT that returns ONLY tuples with two or

Re: SQL question....

От
"Harold A. Giménez Ch."
Дата:
Denninger<<a href="mailto:karl@denninger.net">karl@denninger.net</a>> wrote:<br /><blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div bgcolor="#ffffff"

select a1.* from access a1 where exists(   select 1 from access a2 where <a href="http://a2.name"
target="_blank">a2.name</a>=<ahref="http://a2.name" target="_blank">a2.name</a> and a1.ip!=a2.ip );

select a1.*
from    access a1
join    access a2 using( name )
where   a1.ip != a2.ip;
 </pre></blockquote> Those will return single entries as well (which is easy to do with an "ORDER BY", that is
computationallysimpler)<br /><br /> What I want (and can't figure out) is a SELECT that returns ONLY tuples with two or

Re: SQL question....

От
"Gurjeet Singh"
Дата:
create table access (name text, address ip)

I want to construct a SELECT statement which will return ONLY tuples containing IP and name pairs IF there is an IP that has two or more NAMEs associated with it.

I've not figured out how to do this; I can get a list of all IPs and names ordered by IP, which I could then parse with a different program (e.g. "Select name, address from access order by address"), but the idea of course is to do it with one SELECT statement and return only rows that have multiple names listed for a given IP.

try this:

select ip, name from access where ip in ( select ip from access group by ip having count(name) > 2);

heven't execued it, so may need some coaxing. Let me know the results.

Best regards,
--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device

Re: SQL question....

От
Karl Denninger
Дата:
Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net
> <mailto:karl@denninger.net>> wrote:
>
>     .... assuming the following schema:
>
>     create table access (name text, address ip)
>
>     I want to construct a SELECT statement which will return ONLY
>     tuples containing IP and name pairs IF there is an IP that has two
>     or more NAMEs associated with it.
>
>     I've not figured out how to do this; I can get a list of all IPs
>     and names ordered by IP, which I could then parse with a different
>     program (e.g. "Select name, address from access order by
>     address"), but the idea of course is to do it with one SELECT
>     statement and return only rows that have multiple names listed for
>     a given IP.
>

> try this:
>
> select ip, name from access where ip in ( select ip from access group
> by ip having count(name) > 2);
>
> heven't execued it, so may need some coaxing. Let me know the results.
>
> Best regards,
> --

A small modification got CLOSE.... I can live with that set of
results..... I think.

Thanks :)

Re: SQL question....

От
"Gurjeet Singh"
Дата:
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:47 AM, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net> wrote:
Gurjeet Singh wrote:

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net <mailto:karl@denninger.net>> wrote:

[...]

I am glad.

Harold had posted almost identical solution one hour before I did (I had the mail ready to be sent almost after you posted, but lost power and network connection for about an hour).

Can you please post your modified query, for the record; we might still be able to get you _exactly_ what you want.

Best regards,

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device

Re: SQL question....

От
Karl Denninger
Дата:
Gurjeet Singh wrote:

[...]

I used an "order by" and also increased the count to "> 2" because there are a lot of blank "name" records in there as well (but I don't want to select on those; as an artifact of how the system works there will usually be a blank name entry for most IP corresponding entries, but not all)

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)
http://www.denninger.net

Re: SQL question....

От
"Gurjeet Singh"
Дата:
Gurjeet Singh wrote:

[...]

You can add a filter to the subquery using

WHERE name <> ''

Also, if you don't have it already, you may create an index on IP column for better performance.

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device

Re: SQL question....

От
Karl Denninger
Дата:
Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net
> <mailto:karl@denninger.net>> wrote:
>
>     Gurjeet Singh wrote:
>>     On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:47 AM, Karl Denninger
>>     <karl@denninger.net <mailto:karl@denninger.net>> wrote:
>>
>>         Gurjeet Singh wrote:
>>
>>             On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Karl Denninger
>>             <karl@denninger.net <mailto:karl@denninger.net>
>>             <mailto:karl@denninger.net <mailto:karl@denninger.net>>>
>>             wrote:
>>
>>                .... assuming the following schema:
>>
>>                create table access (name text, address ip)
>>
>>                I want to construct a SELECT statement which will
>>             return ONLY
>>                tuples containing IP and name pairs IF there is an IP
>>             that has two
>>                or more NAMEs associated with it.
>>
>>                I've not figured out how to do this; I can get a list
>>             of all IPs
>>                and names ordered by IP, which I could then parse with
>>             a different
>>                program (e.g. "Select name, address from access order by
>>                address"), but the idea of course is to do it with one
>>             SELECT
>>                statement and return only rows that have multiple
>>             names listed for
>>                a given IP.
>>

>>             try this:
>>
>>             select ip, name from access where ip in ( select ip from
>>             access group by ip having count(name) > 2);
>>
>>             heven't execued it, so may need some coaxing. Let me know
>>             the results.
>>
>>             Best regards,
>>             --
>>
>>         A small modification got CLOSE.... I can live with that set
>>         of results..... I think.
>>

>>     I am glad.
>>
>>     Harold had posted almost identical solution one hour before I did
>>     (I had the mail ready to be sent almost after you posted, but
>>     lost power and network connection for about an hour).
>>
>>     Can you please post your modified query, for the record; we might
>>     still be able to get you _exactly_ what you want.
>>
>>     Best regards,
>>

>     I used an "order by" and also increased the count to "> 2" because
>     there are a lot of blank "name" records in there as well (but I
>     don't want to select on those; as an artifact of how the system
>     works there will usually be a blank name entry for most IP
>     corresponding entries, but not all)
>

> You can add a filter to the subquery using
>
> WHERE name <> ''
>
> Also, if you don't have it already, you may create an index on IP
> column for better performance.
> Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device
Its a very large table and is indexed already...

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)
http://www.denninger.net

Re: SQL question....

От
Steve Midgley
Дата:
At 12:20 PM 5/21/2008, pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org wrote:
>Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 06:39:11 -0500
>From: Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
>To: Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com>
>Cc: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: SQL question....
>
> > Also, if you don't have it already, you may create an index on IP
> > column for better performance.
> > Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device
>Its a very large table and is indexed already...

Not to completely beat this thing to death, but are you using an inet
or other custom datatype for this? I think if you index ip's using a
custom data type and search/group for specific octets, you'll get much
better performance than just searching via a regular b-tree string

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-net-types.html

Steve

Re: SQL question....

От
Karl Denninger
Дата:
Steve Midgley wrote:
> At 12:20 PM 5/21/2008, pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 06:39:11 -0500
>> From: Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
>> To: Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com>
>> Cc: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
>> Subject: Re: SQL question....
>>
>> > Also, if you don't have it already, you may create an index on IP
>> > column for better performance.
>> > Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device
>> Its a very large table and is indexed already...
>
> Not to completely beat this thing to death, but are you using an inet
> or other custom datatype for this? I think if you index ip's using a
> custom data type and search/group for specific octets, you'll get much
> better performance than just searching via a regular b-tree string
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-net-types.html
>
> Steve

I'm using Inet but the searches/replaces that need to be done are all
done on the full address.

In this case it doesn't do a bit of good because the entire table has to
be sequential scanned.