Обсуждение: Sql ORDER BY and ASC/DESC question

Sql ORDER BY and ASC/DESC question

От
"Jaroslav Sivy"
Дата:
Hello everyone,

I have following problem: am using pl/sql functions to trigger some sql code and i need to pass ORDER_BY column name
andASC/DESC sorting order as an input parameters into that function
and order the result based on these input parameters.

The problem is, that the only way is to create query as "string" and then execute it as "string".

Is there any other way around how to avoid that "string query"?

(i don't want to use IFs either, because 5 columns x 2 sorting orders would require 10 IFfed queries with different
column/sortingorder combination)

If it's not possible, could anyone implement this feature into one of future versions? I think that it would be quite
handyto have something like that.

Thank you for your responses.
-------------------
Menu.sk - Denne aktualizovany zoznam obedovych menu a restauracii s presnou lokalizaciou.

Вложения

Re: Sql ORDER BY and ASC/DESC question

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  Wed, dem 30.01.2008, um 11:35:51 +0100 mailte Jaroslav Sivy folgendes:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have following problem: am using pl/sql functions to trigger some
> sql code and i need to pass ORDER_BY column name and ASC/DESC sorting
> order as an input parameters into that function and order the result
> based on these input parameters.
>
> The problem is, that the only way is to create query as "string" and
> then execute it as "string".

Right.

> Is there any other way around how to avoid that "string query"?

No.

> If it's not possible, could anyone implement this feature into one of
> future versions? I think that it would be quite handy to have

Unlikely...

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: Sql ORDER BY and ASC/DESC question

От
"Bart Degryse"
Дата:
Actually there might be assuming your function is a set returning function.
This example eg works perfectly and sorts the output of the function without
having to use execute.

CREATE TABLE "public"."error_types" (
  "id" SERIAL,
  "errdesc" TEXT NOT NULL,
  "autofix" BOOLEAN DEFAULT false NOT NULL,
  CONSTRAINT "error_types_errdesc_key" UNIQUE("errdesc"),
  CONSTRAINT "error_types_pkey" PRIMARY KEY("id")
) WITH (fillfactor = 100, OIDS = FALSE);

INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Missing InvoiceID', True);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Missing InventTransID', True);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Illegal oneshot dates (start <> end)', False);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Illegal dates (start > end)', False);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Accountnumber not defined', False);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Creditnote with a positive amount', False);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Invoice with a negative amount', False);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Original invoice not found', False);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Update reknr', True);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Attempt to change reknr', False);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Update transactiondate', True);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Attempt to change transactiondate', False);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Update invoiceid', True);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Attempt to change invoiceid', False);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Update lineamountmst', True);
INSERT INTO "public"."error_types" ("errdesc", "autofix") VALUES ('Attempt to change lineamountmst', False);

CREATE TYPE test3_type AS (
  myid integer,
  myerrdesc text
);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test3 () RETURNS SETOF test3_type AS
$body$
DECLARE
  rec test3_type;
BEGIN
  FOR rec IN (
    SELECT id, errdesc
    FROM error_types)
  LOOP
    RETURN NEXT rec;
  END LOOP;
  RETURN;
END;
$body$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE CALLED ON NULL INPUT SECURITY INVOKER;

select * from test3() order by myerrdesc desc;
myidmyerrdesc
11Update transactiondate
9Update reknr
15Update lineamountmst
13Update invoiceid
8Original invoice not found
1Missing InvoiceID
2Missing InventTransID
7Invoice with a negative amount
3Illegal oneshot dates (start <> end)
4Illegal dates (start > end)
6Creditnote with a positive amount
12Attempt to change transactiondate
10Attempt to change reknr
16Attempt to change lineamountmst
14Attempt to change invoiceid
5Accountnumber not defined

I hope this is useful to you.

>>> "A. Kretschmer" <andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> 2008-01-30 11:42 >>>
am  Wed, dem 30.01.2008, um 11:35:51 +0100 mailte Jaroslav Sivy folgendes:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have following problem: am using pl/sql functions to trigger some
> sql code and i need to pass ORDER_BY column name and ASC/DESC sorting
> order as an input parameters into that function and order the result
> based on these input parameters.
>
> The problem is, that the only way is to create query as "string" and
> then execute it as "string".

Right.

> Is there any other way around how to avoid that "string query"?

No.

> If it's not possible, could anyone implement this feature into one of
> future versions? I think that it would be quite handy to have

Unlikely...

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt:  Heynitz: 035242/47150,   D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)
GnuPG-ID:   0x3FFF606C, privat 0x7F4584DA   http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net

       match

Re: Sql ORDER BY and ASC/DESC question

От
Gregory Stark
Дата:
"A. Kretschmer" <andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> writes:

> am  Wed, dem 30.01.2008, um 11:35:51 +0100 mailte Jaroslav Sivy folgendes:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have following problem: am using pl/sql functions to trigger some
>> sql code and i need to pass ORDER_BY column name and ASC/DESC sorting
>> order as an input parameters into that function and order the result
>> based on these input parameters.
>>
>> The problem is, that the only way is to create query as "string" and
>> then execute it as "string".
>
> Right.
>>
>> Is there any other way around how to avoid that "string query"?

If you're not concerned with the planner being able to find indexes to satisfy
these orderings (ie, you don't mind always doing a sort) you could do
something like:

ORDER BY CASE ? WHEN 1 THEN name ASCWHEN 2 THEN name DESCWHEN 3 THEN height ASCWHEN 4 THEN height DESCELSE id ASCEND

But to the planner this will be basically an opaque expression. It won't be
able to use any indexes on these columns. Also, incidentally you might want to
use text strings instead of integer labels.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Get trained by Bruce Momjian - ask me about
EnterpriseDB'sPostgreSQL training!

Re: Sql ORDER BY and ASC/DESC question

Дата:
> If you're not concerned with the planner being able to find indexes to satisfy
> these orderings (ie, you don't mind always doing a sort) you could do
> something like:

> ORDER BY
>  CASE ?
>  WHEN 1 THEN name ASC
>  WHEN 2 THEN name DESC
>  WHEN 3 THEN height ASC
>  WHEN 4 THEN height DESC
>  ELSE id ASC
>  END

Uh, no, putting the ASC/DESC decoration inside a CASE like that is not
gonna work --- it's only allowed at the top level of an ORDER BY clause.
For numerical sort keys you can cheat by using "-x" in place of
"x DESC", but I'm not aware of any equivalent hack for text keys.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Sql ORDER BY and ASC/DESC question

От
Gregory Stark
Дата:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>
>> ORDER BY
>>  CASE ?
>>  WHEN 1 THEN name ASC
>
> Uh, no, putting the ASC/DESC decoration inside a CASE like that is not
> gonna work

doh! I had a feeling something was wrong but couldn't put my finger on it
before I hit send. Sigh.

> For numerical sort keys you can cheat by using "-x" in place of
> "x DESC", but I'm not aware of any equivalent hack for text keys.

Yeah, you could do a really kludgy thing with a second sort expression where
you null out one expression or the other depending on the parameter but it
starts to look more and more spaghetti-like.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Get trained by Bruce Momjian - ask me about
EnterpriseDB'sPostgreSQL training!

Double query

От
PostgreSQL Admin
Дата:
Simple question - but my brain is not working:

This is my table
Column   |          Type          |
Modifiers
-----------+------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------id        |
integer               | not null default

nextval('emr_clinicschedule_id_seq'::regclass)clinic_id | integer                | not nulldate      | date
     |day       | smallint               |status    | boolean                | not nullopen      | time without time
zone|close     | time without time zone |reason    | character varying(64)  |active    | boolean                | not
null

I want to find any value:

SELECT id FROM schedule WHERE clinic_id = '%s' AND date = '%s'

But I want to make sure the clinic exist first then find if the date
exist 2nd.

How do I do that?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Double query

От
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Дата:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 16:01:09 -0500
PostgreSQL Admin <postgres@productivitymedia.com> wrote:
> I want to find any value:
>
> SELECT id FROM schedule WHERE clinic_id = '%s' AND date = '%s'
>
> But I want to make sure the clinic exist first then find if the date
> exist 2nd.

I'm not sure what you mean by "first" and "second" but if you mean that
you want a list of all clinics that match the clinic ID and you want to
know of all of those which ones have the specified date then perhaps
this is what you want.
 SELECT id, date = '%s' FROM schedule WHERE clinic_id = '%s';

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves