Обсуждение: SQL stored function inserting and returning data in a row.

SQL stored function inserting and returning data in a row.

От
"Daniel Caune"
Дата:
Hi,

Is there any way to define a SQL stored function that inserts a row in a
table and returns the serial generated?

CREATE TABLE matchmaking_session
( session_id bigint NOT NULL DEFAULT
nextval('seq_matchmaking_session_id'), ...
);

CREATE FUNCTION create_matchmaking_sesssion(...) RETURNS bigint
AS $$ INSERT INTO matchmaking_session(...)   VALUES (...)   RETURNING session_id;
$$ LANGUAGE SQL;
2008-01-10 22:08:48 EST ERROR:  return type mismatch in function
declared to return bigint
2008-01-10 22:08:48 EST DETAIL:  Function's final statement must be a
SELECT.
2008-01-10 22:08:48 EST CONTEXT:  SQL function
"create_matchmaking_sesssion"

I can easily convert this code into a PL/pgSQL function, but I'm
thinking that pure SQL is more natural (and faster?) for such a stored
function.

Daniel

Re: SQL stored function inserting and returning data in a row.

От
Gerardo Herzig
Дата:
Daniel Caune wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there any way to define a SQL stored function that inserts a row in a
>table and returns the serial generated?
>
>CREATE TABLE matchmaking_session
>(
>  session_id bigint NOT NULL DEFAULT
>nextval('seq_matchmaking_session_id'),
>);
>
>CREATE FUNCTION create_matchmaking_sesssion(...)
>  RETURNS bigint
>AS $$
>  INSERT INTO matchmaking_session(...)
>    VALUES (...)
>    RETURNING session_id;
>$$ LANGUAGE SQL;
>
>2008-01-10 22:08:48 EST ERROR:  return type mismatch in function
>declared to return bigint
>2008-01-10 22:08:48 EST DETAIL:  Function's final statement must be a
>SELECT.
>2008-01-10 22:08:48 EST CONTEXT:  SQL function
>"create_matchmaking_sesssion"

What about
$$
INSERT INTO .... ;
select currval('seq_matchmaking_session_id');
$$ language sql;

?

Re: SQL stored function inserting and returning data in a row.

От
"Marcin Stępnicki"
Дата:
On Jan 11, 2008 4:23 AM, Daniel Caune <daniel.caune@ubisoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to define a SQL stored function that inserts a row in a
> table and returns the serial generated?

Maybe you just need INSERT ... RETURNING?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-insert.html

" Insert a single row into table distributors, returning the sequence
number generated by the DEFAULT clause:

INSERT INTO distributors (did, dname) VALUES (DEFAULT, 'XYZ Widgets')  RETURNING did;
"

Re: SQL stored function inserting and returning data in a row.

От
"Marcin Stępnicki"
Дата: