Обсуждение: increment the primary key value without using sequences

increment the primary key value without using sequences

От
roopa perumalraja
Дата:
Hi all,

I would like to know if its possible to increment the primary key field value of stocks table without using sequences by getting the next value of the pk field from the sequnce table ?

insert into stocks (prim_id, date,time, code, price, volume) (select ..... from temp_stocks)

sequence
sequence_code | next_value
prim_id               101

stocks table (prim_id, date, time, code, price, volume)

temp_stocks table (date, time, code, price, volume)

If it can be done, can you please explain me with an example.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: increment the primary key value without using sequences

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Jul 29, 2007, at 7:00 , roopa perumalraja wrote:

> I would like to know if its possible to increment the primary key
> field value of stocks table without using sequences by getting the
> next value of the pk field from the sequnce table ?

Why? Any other solution will cause performance issues.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net