Обсуждение: Conditional NOT NULL constraint

Conditional NOT NULL constraint

От
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Дата:
Hi all!
Is there a simple way to add a "NOT NULL constraint" to a column without using
a trigger if another column is not null?
Something like this:

CREATE TABLE activity(
id SERIAL primary key,
name varchar not null,
created timestamp not null default now(),
modified timestamp,
created_by integer not null,
modified_by integer
);

alter table activity alter column modified_by set not null where modified is
not null;

I want a constraint which says: "modified_by not null if modified is not
null".

I know I could use a trigger for this, but I'm curious if there is a way to do
this with an index.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak@officenet.no>
Senior Software Developer / Manager

Re: Conditional NOT NULL constraint

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> Hi all!
> Is there a simple way to add a "NOT NULL constraint" to a column without using
> a trigger if another column is not null?
> Something like this:
>
> CREATE TABLE activity(
> id SERIAL primary key,
> name varchar not null,
> created timestamp not null default now(),
> modified timestamp,
> created_by integer not null,
> modified_by integer
> );
>
> alter table activity alter column modified_by set not null where modified is
> not null;
>
> I want a constraint which says: "modified_by not null if modified is not
> null".

Would a CHECK do? Something like:

ALTER TABLE activity ADD CONSTRAINT both_modified_set CHECK
((modified_by IS NULL AND modified IS NULL) OR (modified_by IS NOT NULL
AND modified IS NOT NULL))

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: Conditional NOT NULL constraint

От
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Дата:
On Wednesday 28 February 2007, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> > Hi all!
> > Is there a simple way to add a "NOT NULL constraint" to a column without
> > using a trigger if another column is not null?
> > Something like this:
> >
> > CREATE TABLE activity(
> > id SERIAL primary key,
> > name varchar not null,
> > created timestamp not null default now(),
> > modified timestamp,
> > created_by integer not null,
> > modified_by integer
> > );
> >
> > alter table activity alter column modified_by set not null where modified
> > is not null;
> >
> > I want a constraint which says: "modified_by not null if modified is not
> > null".
>
> Would a CHECK do? Something like:
>
> ALTER TABLE activity ADD CONSTRAINT both_modified_set CHECK
> ((modified_by IS NULL AND modified IS NULL) OR (modified_by IS NOT NULL
> AND modified IS NOT NULL))

Certainly, thanks.