Обсуждение: sql problem with join

sql problem with join

От
Luca Ferrari
Дата:
Hi all,
I've got a problem tryng to define a view with a few joins, I'll appreciate if
someone could drive me in the definition of such query.
I've got a table roleSkill that contains a row for each skill belonging to a
defined role and with the desired competence level for such skill in such
role:
roleSkill = (id_role, id_skill, desired_level)   PRIMARY KEY(id_role,id_skill)

Then I've got a table peopleSkill with a row for each evaluated skill for a
person (a skill in this case could not belong to a defined role):
peopleSkill = (id_person,id_skill, evaluated_level) PRIMARY
KEY(id_person,id_skill)

Finally I've got an association between a person and a role:
peopleRole = (id_person,id_role)   PRIMARY KEY(id_person,id_role)

Now I'd like to build a view that shows a row for each skill a person has
(i.e. it has been evaluated) and should have (i.e. it is listed in the role).
Initially I tried with something like:
select p.*,r.*
from roleSkill r
JOIN peopleRole p on p.id_role=r.id_role  /* this gives me all the roles a
person has and all her skills */
LEFT JOIN peopleSkill s on s.id_skill = r.id_skill        /* this should keep all
the role skills and show the one evaluated */

So the first join should give me all the role played from a person, with its
skills, the second join should take the evaluated skills  and should keep the
not evaluated (i.e., present only in roleSkill) rows. But this is not
working, I see a lot of rows with the same role for the same person and I
cannot find the error.
Any clues?

Thanks,
Luca

Re: sql problem with join

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
> Hi all,
> I've got a problem tryng to define a view with a few joins, I'll appreciate if
> someone could drive me in the definition of such query.
> I've got a table roleSkill that contains a row for each skill belonging to a
> defined role and with the desired competence level for such skill in such
> role:
> roleSkill = (id_role, id_skill, desired_level)   PRIMARY KEY(id_role,id_skill)
>
> Then I've got a table peopleSkill with a row for each evaluated skill for a
> person (a skill in this case could not belong to a defined role):
> peopleSkill = (id_person,id_skill, evaluated_level) PRIMARY
> KEY(id_person,id_skill)
>
> Finally I've got an association between a person and a role:
> peopleRole = (id_person,id_role)   PRIMARY KEY(id_person,id_role)
>
> Now I'd like to build a view that shows a row for each skill a person has
> (i.e. it has been evaluated) and should have (i.e. it is listed in the role).
> Initially I tried with something like:
> select p.*,r.*
> from roleSkill r
> JOIN peopleRole p on p.id_role=r.id_role  /* this gives me all the roles a
> person has and all her skills */
> LEFT JOIN peopleSkill s on s.id_skill = r.id_skill        /* this should keep all
> the role skills and show the one evaluated */
>
> So the first join should give me all the role played from a person, with its
> skills, the second join should take the evaluated skills  and should keep the
> not evaluated (i.e., present only in roleSkill) rows. But this is not
> working, I see a lot of rows with the same role for the same person and I
> cannot find the error.
> Any clues?

May be you could show the results you are getting and then make up some results that you would
really like to get.  I am not entirely clear what you are trying to achieve.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: sql problem with join

От
Luca Ferrari
Дата:
On Wednesday 15 November 2006 16:20 your cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
> May be you could show the results you are getting and then make up some
> results that you would really like to get.  I am not entirely clear what
> you are trying to achieve.

Lastly I found the solution, for the moment, that should be the following:
select *
from peopleRole pr
left join roleSkill rs on rs.id_role = pr.id_role
left join peopleSkill ps on ps.id_skill = rs.id_skill

I think it should go, don't you think?

Thanks,
Luca

Re: sql problem with join

От
"Aaron Bono"
Дата:
On 11/15/06, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> wrote:
On Wednesday 15 November 2006 16:20 your cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
> May be you could show the results you are getting and then make up some
> results that you would really like to get.  I am not entirely clear what
> you are trying to achieve.

Lastly I found the solution, for the moment, that should be the following:
select *
from peopleRole pr
left join roleSkill rs on rs.id_role = pr.id_role
left join peopleSkill ps on ps.id_skill = rs.id_skill

I think it should go, don't you think?

This should list out all roles and their required skills for each person.  It will show you the desired level and the evaluated level.

select
    p.*,
    r.*,
    rs.desired_level,
    coalesce(ps.evaluated_level, 0) as evaluated_level
from people p
inner join peopleRole pr on (p.id_person = pr.id_person)
inner join role r on ( pr.id_role = r.id_role)
inner join roleSkill rs on (r.id_role = rs.id_role)
inner join skill s on (rs.id_skill = s.id_skill)
left outer join peopleSkill ps on (
    p.id_person = ps.id_person
    and s.id_skill = ps.id_skill
)

You will have to check it for syntax problems since I didn't run it.

-Aaron

   Aaron Bono
   Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
   http://www.aranya.com